1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

TRD Sport- vs- OffRoad packages

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wardbr549, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Nov 9, 2014 at 4:03 PM
    wardbr549

wardbr549 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    David
    Vehicle:
    05 trd sport
    I have a TRD Sport. was wondering about limited slip and lockers. I was in 4 wheel drive in some mud spinning and there was no mud in the pasanger wheel well? I had not noticed before but did not know if i got a problem with the lockers or if it will only pull with 1 wheel. I don't go off road alot.
    Thanks David

2. Nov 26, 2014 at 3:15 PM
    nathan0214

nathan0214 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nathan
    Moline,Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-road Silver Sky
    Stock
    Trd sports do not come with the e-locker. Only trd off roads come with the locker. You have a trd sport so no diff lock only mechanical lsd

3. Nov 26, 2014 at 3:24 PM
    Mademan925

Mademan925 Senor Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Discovery Bay, CA
    Vehicle:
    2014 4x4 TRD OFFROAD DCSB
    enough to go over stuff
    Yep. The front wheel on your truck without traction will spin and the rear wheel without traction will spin. Sometimes that leaves you stuck. If that happens to me I just have to turn on atrac or my locker( on trd offroad). If that doesnt work I can let more air out of my tires or use my maxtrax or winch. May want to get yourself some maxtrax if your going to start offroading.

4. Nov 26, 2014 at 3:48 PM
    David K

David K Well-Known Member

Member:
    Pala Mesa, California
    Vehicle:
    2010 4WD Off Road DC
    Differential Breather Mod Light Bar: 4 Cree LED lamps Bilstein 5100s Ride Rite Air Bags
    Hi David,

The 2005-2008 Sport TRD has a mechanical limited slip rear differential and an open front differential. 2009+ Sports have returned to open rear differential but with traction control using the ABS brakes (it also works the front tires in H4).

In slippery conditions one front tire and one rear tire gets the bulk of the power and you usually see just two spinning tires. The limited slip means that at a point, clutches inside the rear differential apply break force to the one spinning side to transfer power to the other tire. Having two back tires working together gives you better chance at getting out.

Better is a locking rear differential... which gear matches both sides of the back end diff guaranteeing you equal power to both tires.

4WD LOW RANGE is likely the best choice for mudding, as it is for climbing. Until you add a locker to the rear... ARB lockers are very popular after-market add ons. Serious off roaders put a front locker on as well. The rear alone will get you pretty much everywhere in 4WD!

Products Discussed in

To Top