1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

unusual engine sound

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by chasebrooks14, Nov 11, 2014.

1. Nov 11, 2014 at 2:14 PM
    chasebrooks14

chasebrooks14 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Acura TSX (RIP LaToya)
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
    a few days ago i was sitting at a red light, when i hit the gas, i heard the howling type sound. Kinda like when a semi-truck is accelerating. i thought it was just a fluke. so i waited a day, and it still does it. as the RPMs gradually get higher, this noises gets louder. It sounds very similar to when you have a cold start and that fan noise is going until your engine is warm. well mine does that constantly while driving. ive had engine idle problems since august but i could never figure out the problem. any ideas?

edit: i went and warmed up the truck (cause itll idle around 1800 then) and i opened the hood and i held my hand over the TB and it felt like a high powered fan was blowing. i think this may be the cause of the noise.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2014
  2. Nov 13, 2014 at 3:21 PM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Mickey Thompson Classic iii, Green LED interior floor lights, After market Kenwood touch screen radio, 20% window tint, Blacked out bumpers and grill, blacked out tail lights, Pioneer door speakers, bed lined toolbox, LED tailgate light bar w/ reverse lights, Bilstein 5100 all 4 corners and top setting up front, Trd Coils, New 1.5" lift leaf pack and shackles, White gages with blue needles. 32x11.5 Cooper STTs, 1.25" Spidertrax spacers
  3. Nov 13, 2014 at 10:30 PM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    Sounds like the fan clutch is stuck on. You could test this theory by temporarily removing the fan, and starting the motor.

4. Nov 14, 2014 at 1:21 PM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    how would one get this unstuck?

5. Nov 15, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    By replacing the fan clutch (assuming that the clutch is the problem).

6. Nov 17, 2014 at 9:50 AM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
  7. Nov 20, 2014 at 11:09 AM
    Canufixit

Canufixit Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    People ask me "CANUFIXIT"!
    New England
    Vehicle:
    2020 Red SR 4x4 Taco
    "Access" Tonneau cover. Bed Mat. Hitch, Timbren SES
    What is TB ? "....held my hand over the TB ..."

Possible idler/tension pully bearing going bad??
    Other bearing? (Generator, Water pump, P steering etc.,.?)
    Does the belt look OK??

8. Nov 21, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    chasebrooks14

Member:
    First Name:
    Chase
    Dahlonega, Georgia
    Vehicle:
    Throttle body = TB. and i know my tensioner squeaks when its cold. also when its cold outside and the engine isnt warm, the power steering pump is pretty tough to turn. the water pump should be fine cause my dads friend (whos a mechanic) replaced it when he replaced the head gasket

Products Discussed in

To Top