1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2nd Gen Axle Shaft Questions

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by dakotasyota, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Nov 28, 2014 at 8:08 PM
    dakotasyota

dakotasyota [OP] Just a Fringe of the Ging in your Minge

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    06 Access Cab, Manual, V6, 4x4, TRD Off-Road
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    Howdy y'all. I really hope I haven't missed anything because I've used the search function and google to death :smash:

I have a 2006 TRD Off-Road and bent my axle shaft. Yuh I know.

Ok.. so I always hear talk about the TRD Sport diffs being infinitely better and everything. I have also heard that the sports have chromoly axle shafts.... is this true? If it is I would love to throw a set in my axle. However I don't know the spline counts on either axle... Basically I need to know:

Will sport axle shafts fit in an off road axle?

Are the sport axle shafts chromoly?

What are the spline counts on both axles?

orrrrr should I just say eff it and throw a dana 60 under there since I'm planning on running 35" (possibly bigger) tires :D

Sorry in advance if I've said anything stupid. Thanks!

2. Nov 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM
    PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Southern New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Off Road 4x4
    All 2nd gen Tacoma axle shafts should be the same spline count IIRC.

3. Nov 28, 2014 at 8:18 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Total Chaos +2 LT w/ 2.5 x 8 Kings, 700 lb coils, Chevy 63s, BAMF Shock relocation, 12" King Smoothies, Locker Anytime Mod, 5% Tint All Around, 4xInnovations full skids, Custom Made Rock Sliders, 4xInnovations HC Rear Bumper w/ Tire Carrier, SOS Original Plate 2 Front Bumper, 130 w KC Slimlites, Homertaco Raptor Grill, Bestop Supertop, Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, Flowmaster 40 series, JVC deck w/ 12" Rockford Fosgate T1 in custom box, and lots more!!
    So thats not affected by diff size then?

4. Nov 29, 2014 at 8:39 AM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    Correct, both the TRD offroad and sport have the exact same axle, and they are not chromo. The xrunner has a different lug pattern but will otherwise fit.

I used to order used spares off of Ebay because they usually come with the bearing and brake backing plate installed. Note that the axles themselves are the same side to side, but the backing plates ARE side specific. It's possible to change an axle without a press, but it's hard on the axle. You can slam it down on a rock or concrete on the spline end and knock the brakes off, but using a press is the right way to do it. You don't really want stronger axle shafts. That moves the fuse to the diff, and thirds are more expensive than axles. If you are looking at a budget bombproof axle find a 14 bolt out of a military chevy pickup (CUCV). They are cheap, and come with a detroit locker and 4.56 gears. http://tps.toyotaofdallas.com/parts/2010/Toyota/Tacoma/index.cfm?action=partDetail&section=UNIVERSALS%20%26%20REAR%20AXLE&group=REAR%20AXLE&subgroup=REAR%20AXLE&component=AXLE%20SHAFTS&partnumber=4231104081&vehicleid=302700&siteid=214074

I had 4 spare 05+ axle shafts with brakes that I gave away about 6 months ago when I got my new axle. Maybe try to contact that boatracer dude and see if he can hook you up with parts? (He's doing an axle upgrade) http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/member.php?u=115290

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  5. Nov 29, 2014 at 8:42 AM
    NorthwestCruiser

NorthwestCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Snohomish, WA
    Vehicle:
    1996 Land Cruiser
    Custom 3 link, 40's etc..
    Boatracer is switching to a ford 9 inch axle so he may have something

6. Nov 30, 2014 at 3:18 PM
    dakotasyota

Member:
    First Name:
    Dakota
    Ellensburg, WA
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for all the info! Yeah, I was thinking it wouldnt be that beneficial to spend more money on chromoly when I already have a weak diff. I'll hit up Boatracer or check the prices on some junkyards around here. I have a press too if needed.

About this military axle... what do you mean by cheap? I'm finding them for around $1500... Also how much wider are we talking than the toyota?

7. Nov 30, 2014 at 3:31 PM
    username

username Fluffer

Member:
    Pendleton, Or
    Vehicle:
    05 Taco with some crap welded to it
    mostly stock
    I've seen them brand new with zero miles sell for $500 from a military surplus place in socal. I've seen the whole truck sell for that, but it was beat up. They are very close width wise at 67". They are around if you know where to look. JBLM DRMO would be a good place to start...

Products Discussed in

To Top