1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Can you wire multiple led lights together?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by tfeltz73, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Dec 4, 2014 at 6:44 AM
    tfeltz73

tfeltz73 [OP] That's greasy Ricky

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2013 supercharged long travel thing
    So far I have 4 led lights on my truck but have 2 more on the way and will be buying 5 more after that. I don't want a ton of switches to deal with so I'm wondering if it will hurt anything to wire them together so I only have 3 switches. If it's ok to do so, can I just splice the wires together to make them work or do I need to do more technical wiring, thanks.

2. Dec 4, 2014 at 6:49 AM
    geekhouse23

geekhouse23 The "Liftman" - @DrFunker

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2GMGMDCSB4WDTRDFTMFW!! TL;DR
    mostly stock, grocery gettin' Prius
    That's what I did temporarily :anonymous:

[​IMG]

These two are wired on the same switch and spliced together. Only other thing I had to do was swap to a bigger amp fused :eek: learned that lesson after blowing two. MIGHT be getting rid of the 20" this weekend though. Then it will be replaced with another 20" and get it's own switch.

3. Dec 4, 2014 at 6:55 AM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Yes, You just need to watch how many amps you run on one circuit/switch.

4. Dec 4, 2014 at 8:44 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    How many amps is ok to one switch?

5. Dec 4, 2014 at 8:46 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Read the info about your switch. The carling ones I have are good for 30amps iirc. Also you need to make sure the wire guage you're using can handle the load you're putting on it.

6. Dec 4, 2014 at 9:09 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    I tend to always take the "safe bet" and run just minimal power through a switch but then run the switch to a relay which has the "heavy power" for the lights. I've got 3 lights bars and I run them all off seperate relay's. However, 1 switch controls 2 lights/relays, and that's just on the "cold" end of the switch where the power splits to the relays. Then each relay has direct draw from the battery.

You probably don't need to use relays, but I always do just because it's a fail safe from burning out a switch or causing other issues.

7. Dec 4, 2014 at 9:17 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Yes, using a relay is a safer way but you still have to keep an eye on the amps you run through the relay.

8. Dec 5, 2014 at 3:43 AM
    Stuligan

Stuligan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OR 4L V6 6spd
    Billy 5100 level lift (0.85" front) White/Amber DRL/Signal Kit GTA Car kit for AUX/IPod Satoshi Grill 2x 20" LED Light bars behind grill HID headlights LED Taillgihts LED interior lights.
    You are correct. I use 30A/40A relays for both my 20" bars and my 30" bar. No issues. They're overkill in size, and could run 2 or 3 light bars each, and they may in the future depending on what else gets added to the truck.

OP, if this helps:

Amps = Watts / Volts

20" bar = 120W

Therefore 120W / 12V = 10A

That should help you when trying to figure out whether you want to run through a relay or directly through the switch.

9. Dec 5, 2014 at 5:30 AM
    Sandman614

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    Great info! OP, take the time to learn what your specific lights wattage or amp draw is and do it right! Also post some pics!

10. Dec 6, 2014 at 8:32 AM
    tfeltz73

Member:
    central Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    I think I have about 30 amps that would be on 1 switch

11. Jan 3, 2015 at 5:35 PM
    Tcgator

Tcgator Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Fernandina beach
    Vehicle:
    2017 Quicksand TRD Offroad
    Tcgator is on a distinguished road
    Name: Tyler
    Tcgator's Tacoma Gallery
    TRD Offroad v6
    Hi, okay you guys seem like you know what to do with leds. Soo I recently installed a set of procomp S4's (http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail...4242&plID=1849) on my bull bar of my 2nd gen tacoma.. I have them wired through the grille with the harness with the relay mounted next to the battery on the inside wall, with the power directly connected to the battery, then wired to the inside of the car onto a switch.. I recently got A 50" led radius bar made by HELLA (http://www.4wheelparts.com/Lighting-...n=HLAH71020471) and I want to mount it above the windshield. I have the mounting brackets but no harness.... I currently only have the pro comps wired to the car and they work functionally, but my two questions are, how should I wire the bar to my car (regarding the other harness for the pro comp, how should I go about wiring this in respect of having another aux already installed, but also to keep them functioning on seperaye switches).. And also, how should I go about wiring it to the car, because my idea is to mount it and bring the wiring through the weatherstripping in the door and bring it though the inside of the car through the battery? Please help.

Products Discussed in

To Top