1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Brand new tacoma steering wheel squeal

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TACOlorado, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Dec 24, 2014 at 6:34 AM
    TACOlorado

TACOlorado [OP] Member

Member:
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad V6
    My 2015 with 2000 miles has been making a fairly consistent squeal whenever i'm turning at speed. It happens whether turning right or left and the squeal usually happens about halfway through the turn. I've found it only happens on higher speed turns like onto an onramp or a left turn when you have the green. If its a turn from a stop or less than a certain speed it won't make the noise. The noise doesnt sound like its coming from anywhere around the wheels or rack, sounds like its orginating from right around the firewall. To me it seems like its surely the power steering pump but I'm not sure if the whole pump is bad or if this is just a specific part within the pump. I was planning on taking it to the dealership since I'm obviously under warranty, but if this was a simple enough fix I would rather just do it at home to save the hassle.

Video here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SmGVapcuqrY

2. Dec 24, 2014 at 9:15 AM
    tan4x4

tan4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Folsom, CA
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma EC 4x4 2.7L Auto
    Bilsteins, OME 881's, 3-leaf AAL, Detroit TruTrac, Tundra brake swap, Michelin LTX AT2, Tranny skidplate, TC skidplate, CBI rear bumper, TG sliders, UltraGauge, PowerTank, Reverse Camera
    That doesn't sound, to me, like a PS pump problem (do these new trucks even have PS pumps ? , some new cars have electronic ).

If they do have a pump, you could check the fluid level. Your owners manual may have instructions.

Does the steering wheel have to be moving, at that instant, to make that noise?

3. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:12 AM
    TACOlorado

TACOlorado [OP] Member

Member:
    Parker, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC TRD Offroad V6
    The steering wheel has to be moving to make the noise. if i'm halfway through a turn and it starts making the noise it will stop if i keep the wheel locked at that exact angle. if i turn the wheel any further or sometimes even when i'm backing off the wheel turn it will continue to make the noise. the past couple days its been much less common where it used to do it on nearly every turn.

4. Dec 26, 2014 at 8:36 AM
    ecp

ecp New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Fort Collins, CO
    Vehicle:
    '15 TRD OR 6 Speed
    Maybe it's just me and the device i'm listening on, but that sounds a bit more like a grinding noise than a squeak. I understand the desire to fix it your self, but you don't want to be the victim of a steering defect at high speed, would highly recommend taking it to the dealership even though they can be pain. Do report back though either way, I have same model and year, haven't noticed this yet at a similar amount of miles, but I almost always have music on. I'll be listening for it now though..

5. Dec 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM
    avidnyhunter83

avidnyhunter83 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma TRD 4WD.
    I would just take it to the dealership and save yourself the time of messing up something else. I know that doesn't help you much, but I had an extended warranty and had them do all the work that was covered, and did the rest myself. Merry Christmas!

6. Jan 6, 2015 at 11:34 AM
    zicked

zicked Member

Member:
    Campbell, CA
    Vehicle:
    15 PreRunner, DC, SB
    I am experiencing something similar to your description (just started 2 days ago). The noise is not quite as pronounced, but when it happens it is exactly as you describe (usually at the apex of a down slope turn for me though). I would say the noise is more like a grind or a rub but what worries me more is there is a quick sensation of either loss of traction or steering and loss of power to the tires. I initially thought it was due to traction control but now am not sure. I will be going to the dealer shortly to investigate, but curious if you had any sensation of lack of traction or steering control (although very brief)?

2105 PreRunner DC, SB, 3k miles.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  7. Jan 7, 2015 at 6:58 AM
    outdoorgb

outdoorgb (.)(.)

Member:
    Burbs of Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD Sport Silver Sky...
    I added a bolt once...

The 2000 year Camrys were known for a squeak/squeal when turning the wheel.The problem was the steering rod going through the firewall boot. It soundedmechanical in nature (like a pump or motor) but in fact it was just a rubbingsound.

A simple application of white lithium grease with a small brush took care ofthe problem.

May not fix yours but I'll throw it out there.

Products Discussed in

To Top