1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Break-in oil 2nd gen 6 cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by wanna taco, Dec 30, 2014.

1. Dec 30, 2014 at 1:35 PM
    wanna taco

wanna taco [OP] What's my name?

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    '15 DCSB TRD Sport 4x2 Barcelona Red!
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    I'm old school, accustomed to an initial 500 mile break-in period of light duty, then change oil & filter. ...Not so with Toyota.
    Also in my experience is a warning to not use synthetic oil during break-in, to allow the rings to seat properly. ...Again not so with Toyota, as there is no mention of a break-in period at all, hence my concern.

I currently have just over 1000 miles on the factory conventional oil, and will be taking Mobyl 1 to the dealership for the first oil change along with my short list of additional warranty items to check.

My question is this: Is my thinking just obsolete, or should I wait for the 5000 mile mark for the first oil change? I know I'll never fully use the free service, perhaps just this first time, and again at the 2 year mark, so that issue is not in the equation at all.

What do the gearheads think? AND, what have the dealerships told you? Thanks!

2. Dec 30, 2014 at 2:05 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport with a whole Shitload of TwoBitDiddlySquat Running Boards/Roof Rack/Bed Mat; Tint all around; W/Tech Liners; Extant Hard Trifold; P&L; Relentless tailgate mod; Amp Bed Step; TracOne; Rear headrest Delete; rear window lock rod; tailgate EZ hose clamp; Kahtec 3rd lite flasher; Muth Signal Mirrors; 894 (38W) Fog Reverse Bulbs; Seat belt extenders; Seat belt chime silenced; Fumoto Kwik Valve; RideRites/Daystars; Eyebolts; SS D Rings; Viair 70P; Lund hitch Bed Extender; Custom Windshield Rock Chips; ...
    Thanks, I think you're right on the 5000 mile dino oil, but can't get my head around a full 5000 miles on any oil change, let alone on the first!

3. Dec 30, 2014 at 3:30 PM
    VaGlock

VaGlock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    central virginia
    Vehicle:
    14 DBLC / Sport / Blue Ribbon Metalic
    Weathertech mats and wind deflectors, Bak Flip cover, CB Radio,Clazzio seat covers,Scan gauge,Uni filter,LED interior lights, Redline hood struts
    I just did my first oil change at the recommended 6 month interval with 2700 miles on the odometer. Mobil 1 and factory filter. The old oil was pretty dark in color (not that means anything) but I feel better knowing break in oil is out and fresh synthetic is in.
    According to Toyota maintenance manual if the truck sits on the lot for six months the oil needs to be changed???

4. Dec 30, 2014 at 3:53 PM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    My truck is an 07 and I've had it since new.

I changed my oil for the first time at 2700 miles on 8/2/07. I put Mobile 1 5w-30 in it and have been putting Mobile 1 in it ever since every 5K miles.

Granted....I only have 68,000 miles on it now after 8 years.... no issues what-so-ever.

5. Dec 30, 2014 at 5:00 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Thanks guys, looks like everyone agrees that 5000 miles is too much!

6. Jan 16, 2015 at 12:36 PM
    wanna taco

Member:
    First Name:
    alan
    SF Bay Area
    Vehicle:
    Well, I dun did the deed at 1500 miles. My Taco will be a low mileage truck as long as I own it, so I'll never get to the 25k mark before my two years runs out anyway. Took in a Fumoto valve, they installed it and gave me back my original plug. They used almost 6 qts of oil, so I guess they forgot to install the valve and lost some oil in changing over to the valve. I'll probably let them do the first few services to get my tires rotated anyway, but the valve will make it easier when I do my own later. It comes with a length of clear tubing, so I'll put it directly into my empty catch bottle. Tubing also from the filter drain to the bottle, so no mess at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top