Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Air Intake Making Noise under the hood? Help appreciated

Old 10-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
spencer_hong is on a distinguished road
spencer_hong's Tacoma Gallery
Air Intake Making Noise under the hood? Help appreciated

I just put a K&N CAI in, and I've been getting these weird loud clunking noises on the front right side. (Where the intake is installed). It could be numerous things and I haven't been able to figure it out yet, the noise occurs when:

Start/turn off engine
Go over a bump
Turn right into a driveway or sort of incline.

I'm guessing it could be these things.. it could just be the air intake moving around under the hood, it could be a broken shock, or something wrong with the suspension, and possibly a broken exhaust pipe.

I've checked out the wheel well and the tire isnt rubbing against anything, and there arent any loose parts anywhere.

Anyone have this problem or any ideas? I've called the dealership and they just want to take a look at it, the noise goes away sometimes, so this is leading me to guess that its just the intake moving around and it needs to be tightened down.

Help appreciated
Old 10-26-2007, 01:49 PM   #2
Carolina Alliance Costal Div
2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of2003greenbean has much to be proud of

2003greenbean's Tacoma Gallery
it sounds like the intake is lose or the sheild if you have on is lose
Old 10-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
ERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to allERdept is a name known to all
ERdept's Tacoma Gallery
I don't have a truck yet.

But in my experiences with aftermarket car intakes, I have had this happen to me as well.

The snorkle system bumps against the other engine parts or the structure as the engine revs.

It may seem to have clearance on installation, but when I revved my motor and had the hood open, especially under the load of road conditions, the engine moves back and forth a lot if it's got rubber mounts.

This caused the bumping sounds. I put a foam piece on where I thought it was rubbing and it took care of the problem for a little while, till the foam got compressed and lost its loft.

I eventually got rid of the system because this happened over and over plus the increased intake noise made it seem like I was some racer guy.

I just left my car stock.