1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

4x4 Problem

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Celttim, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Jan 18, 2015 at 4:49 AM
    Celttim

Celttim [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi,
    I own a 2014 auto. I was in 4x4 getting out of snow and forgot to go back to 2wd. I was going downhill and hit black ice and the wheels all locked. Eventually after shutting the truck on and off a few times I got it going in 2wd. Now when I engage 4wd it makes loud scratchy sound and locks after a few seconds. I have to play around and switch switch on and off to eventually get it back into 2wd. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Jan 18, 2015 at 5:21 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    I'm no expert, but it sounds like something is wrong in your front diff ... 2014 has to still be in warranty? I'd quit trying to switch it into 4WD and take it into dealer ASAP. My 2¢ ...

3. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM
    Tacoma Mike

Tacoma Mike 48 Year Chrysler/Toyota/ASE/ Master Tech.RETIRED

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern Maine
    Vehicle:
    2011 Double Cab V6 1995 Bass Tracker
    Large Storage Box, 02610 intermittent switch swap, "Hot Wire" Power Outlets, DRL Shut Off, Disable Fob Beep, Disable Seat Belt Buzzers, Parking Light Mod, Battery Tender, 4 Leaf Spring Pack, Rear Headrest Removal, Factory Tow Package (7 Pin) Rear Diff Mod, Taco Lean Mod, 2WD Low ECU.
    Read the manual and the placard on the visor.

There is a set procedure and wait times necessary.

Not being wise here. 90% of the issues are driver induced.
    The system sucks plain and simple.
    Noises are normal and some popping once in a while if there is strain on the drivetrain. I see this 4 or 5 times a week during the winter. It's to bad I have to give schooling for them to learn how to use it. Even the instructions don't cover all the bases. Just because guys throw out their man card and say they have drivin 4wd all there life means nothing in there trucks.
    If you still have issues going through the instructions and trying it let me know and I'll work with you. I really should make a friggin sticky for this.

4. Jan 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM
    MQQSE

MQQSE Bannable Galloot

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob III
    Palmer, Alaska
    Vehicle:
    "Stitch" Still Stock Concept Truck
    Shtuff
    Mike knows what he's talking about. The system is a little "finicky" for lack of a better word. Some patience is required ... I switch mine from 2HI to 4HI and even 4LO (buddy lives on often ice covered private drive) in Winter. It's rarely an instantaneous switch. The "loud scratchy sound" is what made me jump at a front diff problem. :notsure:

Products Discussed in

To Top