Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Front diff will not stop leaking gear oil

Old 01-20-2015, 08:11 PM   #1
Blackhawk131 is on a distinguished road
Blackhawk131's Tacoma Gallery
Front diff will not stop leaking gear oil

LONG story short, I found that after installing the new front diff I forgot to install the hose to the breather on top of the diff. I don't drive the truck much but I did go through water recently and I know I had water in the diff. After replacing the gear oil I cleaned everything to verify that the leak was gone.

NOPE, I got home and found it still leaking. It is not either axle seal. I am thinking the vent tube is clogged or I am clueless and need your ideas.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
I would but just cleaned the diff again. I can tell you that most of the fluid appears to be on the passenger side of the diff on the pumpkin and mostly appears to be coming from on top. Does this help? I would say up near the breather tube area and the 4x4 actuator.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:31 PM   #4
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
There aren't that many choices.

Vent tubes.

Clamshell gaskets.

passenger side axle extension gaskets

axle seals

fill and drain plugs

actuator assembly

cracked casing

If you drain the oil out of the thing, pull the axles, and drop it out again, you should be able to see which one it actually is.

Yes, that's a pain in the ass. No, I can't think of an easier way to figure it out.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:35 PM   #5
Okay, let me add one other thing I didn't mention but noticed. Because I don't drive often the truck sits weeks at a time. It doesn't leak unless I drive the truck.

When you say vent tubes, are you saying that it could be clogged? Should I blow air down the hose and see if I can feel air come out of the fill hole?

Thanks for the thoughts. I know that I will have to pull it if I can't find it soon.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #6
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
most likely it's the vent tubes. they need to be reinstalled in the original and correct position with both tops facing straight up. they can't be slung over or they will leak. plenty of us have found out the hard way including me.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:40 PM   #7
Bullwinkle J. Moose
bjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shedbjmoose is one of the sharper tools in the shed

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk131 View Post
Should I blow air down the hose and see if I can feel air come out of the fill hole?
You could try that. But really, oil oughtn't to be coming out of the vent tubes even if the hose isn't connected.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
Bullwinkle J. Moose

bjmoose's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
most likely it's the vent tubes. they need to be reinstalled in the original and correct position with both tops facing straight up. they can't be slung over or they will leak. plenty of us have found out the hard way including me.
Really.

Ok, I take back what I said above.
Old 01-20-2015, 08:43 PM   #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
Can you explain this more because the vent tube comes up and bends towards the front of the truck and not straight up. So what problems have been found with the vent tubes?
Old 01-20-2015, 08:46 PM   #10
Also let me add that the tube appears to be fixed to the pumpkin and about 2 - 3 inches long. Again bent towards the front of the truck. It had a 2 inch soft hose that connected to a hard line that runs to the driver side wheel well then another soft hose up to the engine bay. Is this not correct?
Old 01-21-2015, 07:16 AM   #11
Ok, I talked with ECGS and they tell me that the ARB will allow oil into the actuator which then after building pressure cause the oil to push out the vent tube. They say that oil should not be there but they have seen this a few times. Easy enough to do and will hopefully keep me from having to drop diff again.

I will see what happens after this is been removed and fluid cleaned out. Again thanks for all the thoughts. I am still curious about the vent tube issue that you mention, can you please give me detail?