Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

4WD

Old 01-27-2015, 08:55 PM   #1
1stgen is on a distinguished road

Name: Ryan
1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
4WD

Not sure where this goes but I have a specific question: Is there anything wrong with running 4WD High for a prolonged around of time? The situation is running 30+ mph on windy roads and ~10mph on tight trails. I've always wondered if I could mess anything up if I left it on too long or i turned too much with it engaged.

Also, the electronic locker comes on in 4WD Low in D Gear correct? Or does it need to be in double low?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:57 PM   #2
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Christian
Rock Lobster's Tacoma Gallery
You are fine as long as you aren't trying to make really tight turns on a high traction surface.

From the factory, the locker only work in 4wd low.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #4
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
My wife has a 1998. She locks the hubs in November and unlocks them in April. She is in 4 hi 60% of that time. We only switch out when we hit the super highway on dry roads for extended times. I know for a fact that we have traveled 80 miles at 75 mph locked in. It hurt nothing.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:02 PM   #5

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Lobster View Post
You are fine as long as you aren't trying to make really tight turns on a high traction surface.

From the factory, the locker only work in 4wd low.

When you say 4WD low do you also low gear? I can't explain what It's called but it's the Low setting instead of the D or drive setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
My wife has a 1998. She locks the hubs in November and unlocks them in April. She is in 4 hi 60% of that time. We only switch out when we hit the super highway on dry roads for extended times. I know for a fact that we have traveled 80 miles at 75 mph locked in. It hurt nothing.

That is really reassuring.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:26 PM   #6
It wasn't a rock...
Rock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shedRock Lobster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
When you say 4WD low do you also low gear? I can't explain what It's called but it's the Low setting instead of the D or drive setting.
Low as in low range 4wd. The gear selection for the transmission doesn't matter.
Old 01-27-2015, 09:31 PM   #7
koditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shedkoditten is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kirk
koditten's Tacoma Gallery
You have a button on the left side if the instrument cluster to push to lock the rear differential. It will only come on in 4 low. Unless someone has done the modification that allows it anytime you push the button.
Old 01-28-2015, 05:22 AM   #8

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
4WD

Quote:
Originally Posted by koditten View Post
You have a button on the left side if the instrument cluster to push to lock the rear differential. It will only come on in 4 low. Unless someone has done the modification that allows it anytime you push the button.

Yes I see that but last time it never engaged and im trying to figure out if I was in the wrong gear or not. There must be something wrong then, it had a spot like it was leaking on the back of the axel where the locker is.
Old 01-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #9
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Going into Low Range, you must be in Neutral (not Park) if an automatic. Same for getting out of Low Range.

Using the rear locker is not as easy... and may take more than one attempt. First, you must already be in Low Range 4WD... then push the RR Locker button... you can be in Drive or any other low gear. Next, roll forward a few feet and if the RR Locker light doesn't stop flashing, turn the steering wheel full left (or right) and roll ahead... light should go from flashing to solid. Repeat the above steps to unlock the rear.

Old 01-28-2015, 11:19 AM   #10

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
Going into Low Range, you must be in Neutral (not Park) if an automatic. Same for getting out of Low Range.

Using the rear locker is not as easy... and may take more than one attempt. First, you must already be in Low Range 4WD... then push the RR Locker button... you can be in Drive or any other low gear. Next, roll forward a few feet and if the RR Locker light doesn't stop flashing, turn the steering wheel full left (or right) and roll ahead... light should got from flashing to solid. Repeat the above steps to unlock the rear.

Okay thank you! I read those two warnings in the manual but it didn't help much. I'll try this on the dirt road across the street, I'll report back. Last time the blinking light never went off.
Old 01-28-2015, 01:47 PM   #11
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
It will blink anytime the RR button is depressed, but will only go solid when the rear is locked... which can only happen in Low Range (on stock 4WDs). It will turn off (no flashing) when the rear is unlocked after being locked.
Old 01-28-2015, 02:08 PM   #12

1stgen's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by David K View Post
It will blink anytime the RR button is depressed, but will only go solid when the rear is locked... which can only happen in Low Range (on stock 4WDs). It will turn off (no flashing) when the rear is unlocked after being locked.

It worked, I turned the front wheel and that seemed to do it. Thanks for helping me figure that out
Old 01-28-2015, 02:24 PM   #13

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgen View Post
It worked, I turned the front wheel and that seemed to do it. Thanks for helping me figure that out
Glad to help... the more you use it, the smoother it will be (at least in the mind)!
Old 01-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #14
It wasn't a rock...

Echo?