1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Fan switch kicking off and on

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Rushbrook, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Feb 3, 2015 at 7:08 AM
    Rushbrook

Rushbrook [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    07 TRD v6

A few weeks ago the back light on my fan switch started going off, and I figured out where tot ap it with my finger to get it back on until I got some time to check the bulb. Two nights ago I head home from work and the fan wouldn't work at all. I had heat but no blower on any setting. So yesterday on the way to work, it suddenly kicked on. This morning it was dead again, then kicked on about 25 miles into my commute, just a couple miles earlier than when it started back up yesterday.

I initially thought the blower was bad and was gonna replace it tomorrow, but now I don't think so. I wonder if my tapping knocked the switch loose or if the flickering light was a precursor to a bigger problem.

I'm planning on putting a meter on it tomorrow (hopefully it'll be dead) and checking to see if I've got power in and out of the switch and up to the motor. I thought I would ask here before though, in case anyone has had the same issue and knows exactly what it was.

2. Feb 3, 2015 at 7:14 AM
    loosnut

loosnut Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    jerry
    feasterville pa
    Vehicle:
    06 dbl cab long bed
    ome 2.5lift leer cap
    Pull the plug off the blower motor and check to see if one of the connections is burnt (black)if so cleaning connection will get back up and running.

3. Feb 4, 2015 at 12:48 PM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    I can't get the stupid plug off!!! Is there a trick to this thing? I saw a kid on YouTube take it off with one hand. I've squeezed, pried, begged and cried and it won't budge.

4. Feb 4, 2015 at 1:05 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    More than likely the issue is the fan switch resistor. Pretty common on all vehicles. Usually cheap and easy to fix.

5. Feb 5, 2015 at 9:42 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    My experience with resistors has been that it only works on high (ie..no resistance). When mine is on the blink it doesn't work on any setting. I really think I'm gonna find a burned pin, if I can ever get the stupid plug out. :mad:

6. Feb 6, 2015 at 8:34 AM
    Rushbrook

Member:
    got the plug off. AOK. no burns or distortion of any kind. And of course the fan has worked fine since.

Products Discussed in

To Top