1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Bad MPG after installation of a CIA?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Taco4Life423, Feb 5, 2015.

1. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:42 PM
    Taco4Life423

Taco4Life423 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Cleveland TN
    Vehicle:
    14 Trd SR5
    6in BDS Lift Fox Shox XD Series 20s AVID Offroad Light Bar Body Armor Rear Bumper NFAB Nerf Bars Bushwacker Flares KN Cold Air Intake
    I have a 2014 Tacoma Crew cab 4.0 AT it has a 6in BDS lift with 265 75 r20. I recently installed a KN CIA and since doing so my mpg per tank has dropped significantly.. I will admit the first tank I was a little heavy on the pedal but the past 3 tanks I've drove like a granny.. Right now my truck has 183 miles on my last fill up and I'm sitting on a quarter tank which in every tacoma I have owned (3) 01+07+14 doesn't last long.. is this common or is there an issue after installing a CIA.. My 01 was a stock extended cab 3.4 5sp my 07 was a crew cab 6sp 3in lift with 33s and I got over 300m per tank without a CIA. I know a manual is better on mpg but a a result of both having the throw out bearing go bad I chose to go with the Automatic this time around. (REGRET) Im showing no codes but I feel there is something not right.. if this is a result of having a Cai I will be removing it..I like the feel and the sound of the cia but Def not worth it if I'm only getting 10 to 12 mpg.. any advice is apreciated.. thanks

2. Feb 5, 2015 at 10:45 PM
    Delta00

Delta00 ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

Member:
    First Name:
    Troy
    Chandler AZ
    Vehicle:
    2002 Toyota Tacoma 4WD
    Check Build
    Did you reset the MAF after installing the CAI?

Unplug the battery for 10 min then put it back on. It may take time for the computer to learn the now CAI and adjust accordingly.

3. Feb 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM
    Taco4Life423

Taco4Life423 [OP] Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tanner
    Cleveland TN
    Vehicle:
    14 Trd SR5
    6in BDS Lift Fox Shox XD Series 20s AVID Offroad Light Bar Body Armor Rear Bumper NFAB Nerf Bars Bushwacker Flares KN Cold Air Intake
    My uncle who builds cars from the ground up is who installed the CIA. I was there the whole time and i do remember that was one step we somehow missed but realized it about 3/4 the way through and I unhooked it myself.. Im goin to go try it again right now.. SWEET Avid Offroad bumper bar just came in!!

Products Discussed in

To Top