1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

A\C by pass question....

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Ray Tomlin, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Feb 13, 2015 at 1:41 PM
    Ray Tomlin

Ray Tomlin [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    Nova Scotia
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4l 4dr 4x4
    3" lift
    I have a 2005 tacoma 4l 4x4 and when I got it the ax was de-clutched and free wheeling. Now it appears as if the bearings have wiped. I am not going to replace the ax for cost reasons and am having a hard time finding the best method to by pass the comp all together. Had anyone done this change already that could provide belt measurements or PN for the appropriate sized belt. I have checked clearances and don't believe that I will have to remove the comp.
    could anyone offer assistance. ...

2. Feb 18, 2015 at 7:17 PM
    OCNutty

OCNutty Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern, Va.
    Vehicle:
    Silver Prerunner DC v6 SR5 Tow
    This has been covered at least once in the forums, but not certain anyone has published a part number.

What you can do is measure it yourself. I believe serpintine belts are measured in centimeters.
    So if with the old belt on, put a mark at the 12 o'clock alternator position, on the belt, and but another mark at the 6 o'clock crankshaft position also on the belt. remove the belt and measure this belt length btwn the marks.

Then with the belt off, use a flexible measure to measure from these same positions directly between the alternator and crankshaft avoiding the compressor..
    So the difference between these two measurements is the reduction in the original belt length. Find out the original belt length, subtract this number and use it as a starting point at the auto parts store. (e.g. the original belt is 5 feet in length, the alternator to crank including the ac is 2 feet and the alternator to crank w/o the compressor is eighteen inches, you'd reduce the original belt length by 6 inches.)
    You may have to try a couple belts to get one that fits snuggly. Be sure it has the same width and number of groves.
    Good luck.

Products Discussed in

To Top