1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Error code and advice needed please!

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Hearttattoo, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Mar 3, 2015 at 10:50 PM
    Hearttattoo

Hearttattoo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi guys, so this is my first post here. To start off with my problem I'll give some background info. I have a 1997 t100 automatic with the 3.4l and 177k miles.

Recently my truck started running extremely rough, intermittently throwing the p0303 cylinder 3 misfire code. I just had the timing belt and water pump along with lots of other maintenance done around 3k miles ago, but didn't know the spark plug history so decided to start there.

Got all the plugs and wires replaced, and upon pulling out the old plugs found that whoever had the truck before me put in single electrode plugs, so I'm happy because I figure this should be the cause of my problem. After replacing plugs and wires, truck runs great for a lap around the neighborhood. Wake up the next morning and head to work with no issues (short 8 mile drive). Go to lunch, and after driving for a few minutes, exact same problem. Running very rough, and after a bit check engine light comes on. At this point I'm confused but I decide maybe it's the coil packs. Replace all of them, and no luck.

So now I'm in need of advice. What is the next step... And the real cause of my confusion, why did the truck run perfect for a little but and then start misfiring again?? Checked all my wires and everything is going to the right place and all connections seem solid. Please help! Any input is appreciated.

2. Mar 4, 2015 at 2:20 AM
    Blacktaco2042

Blacktaco2042 Well-Known Member

Member:
    wisconsin
    supercharger/trd cat back 3inch lift 265/75/16 duratracs bumper guard led bar
    trying swapping injectors around i have seen the injectors get clogged and cause a misfre

3. Mar 4, 2015 at 3:17 AM
    98tacoma929

98tacoma929 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Vehicle:
    98 Tacoma 3.4L SR5
    -In Order- Full Exhaust Cold Air Kit 3" Tuff Country Lift 285/75/16 Cooper Discoverer A/T3 20" Lightbar behind Grill Much More to go...
    Or, make sure you don't have your plug wires swapped around with another cylinder, also double check the connections on your coil packs, very easy and common to get corrosion in those. Best of Luck!

4. Mar 4, 2015 at 3:27 AM
    hogeyphenogey

hogeyphenogey Back in a Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Agawam, MA
    Vehicle:
    Lunar Rock 2023 TRD Sport 6spd
    Does it run rough when it has been running for a little bit? In other words, does it run rough as soon as you start it? Or it starts fine then as you're driving it starts acting up?

5. Mar 4, 2015 at 8:48 AM
    Hearttattoo

Hearttattoo [OP] New Member

Member:
    I double checked all my wires, everything's going to the right place. Also, after the plugs and wires didn't do the truck I decided to just replace all the coil packs, no luck. So I'm also thinking injector at this point.

It misfires all the time now, generally worse when it is warm though. I gave up and I'm taking it in to the shop now, I'll keep you guys posted! Thank you for all the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top