1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

5 lug Brake Recommendations

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by afd23a, May 7, 2009.

1. May 7, 2009 at 3:00 PM
    afd23a

afd23a [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    Anyone done a brake job on their 5 lugger yet? I could use some advice.

After having my front end alignment yesterday, I was told by the shop that my front pads were at 90% wear and the rear shoes were at 70%. Front rotors measured better thickness than spec'd by Toyota :confused:.

I'm at least going to replace the front pads, maybe the rear shoes too. Not sure if I should go ahead and do the rotors too since I'll have it apart. I was going to go with Hawk ceramic pads, but they don't make pads for the 5 lug. The folks at raceshopper.com recommended the Powerstop Z-16 pads. Also thinking about the SP Performance slotted rotors.

Anyone have an opinion of good of a combo this would make?

2. May 7, 2009 at 3:02 PM
    neslerrah

neslerrah Taco lovin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Harrelsen
    Tucson
    Vehicle:
    5 lug BEAST!
    Secondary air filter removed, elbow mod, BFG T/A KO (31x10.5R15), 15" American Racing Mojaves, BHLM, Dome Light MOD (Blue), Pioneer headunit, Sockmonkey 'TACOMA' Decals, Readylift 5-lug SST, Rear Shocks - Bilstein TRD, Dynomax Super Turbo #17748, DDM Slim Ballast HID Kit H4 Hi/Lo -35W 6000K in headlights, Apexcone Raptor HID Kit H3 - 35W 6000K in Hella 500s, aFe CAI #51-10762, WeatherTech Floorliner, 200W Smart AC Inverter
    Great question. I want to know how to switch out the brakes too.

3. May 8, 2009 at 2:54 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Factory Fog Lights, Removed Secondary Air Filter, Metra Ipod Adapter, Int Wiper Stalk, Wet Okole's, URD Short Shifter, Scanguage II w/Blendmount, Fat Bob's 2.75" spacer lift, ARE topper, SP Performance Pads & Slotted Rotors, 4.10 gears
    I called today and made my order from raceshopper.com. :thumbsup: Got pads and rotors for the front. Went with the SP Performance Slotted Rotors and Steet Plus Pads. The pads are not "ceramic" , but are supposed to be a low dust pad. Their FAQ was very helpful in learning more about brakes and the materials that they are made of. Like many other things, the it seems like you have to make some compromises on the features you want. I'll see how well this setup works for me. Edwin was very helpful in answering my questions about their products.

Also got the Motive Products Universal Bleeder off Amazon after seeing it on Gadget's website. Should make bleeding much easier. :D

By the way, I think the TRD pads are made by Performance Friction and are available from raceshopper for cheaper than other places. They are NOT a low dust pad, which is why I went with the SP's.

4. May 8, 2009 at 3:18 PM
    drew02a

drew02a Rocking your mom's world Since 1997

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 Regular Cab 2.7L 4x4
    Disc Brakes are pretty easy.
    Just remove the 2 bolts holding the "FRONT DISC BRAKE CYLINDER MOUNTING"
    1. Pull off the old pads
    2. Push the cylinders down using c-clamps or whatever gets it done (may cause break fluid reservoir to overflow, so you may want to remove extra as you go or just rinse engine compartment VERY thoroughly as brake fluid is bad for paint)
    3. Probably want to use lithium soap/ grease on back of new brake pads
    4. put in new pads
    5. reassemble

You won't need to fully disassemble the brakes, but these Toyota manuals will be helpful and contains torque specs.

Attached Files:

5. May 8, 2009 at 10:24 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Not to hijack my own thread, but how do you like that Powertrax No Slip?

6. May 9, 2009 at 7:30 AM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    I love it. It's much more transparent than the Lockrite unit which I installed in the Ford Ranger I previously owned. Both of my experiences were manual transmissions and as such I had to change my driving habits a little (more so with the lockrite). The No-Slip is much smoother and easier to drive. I hear that if you have an auto transmission you won't even really know it's there (except for the massive increase in traction).

7. May 9, 2009 at 7:44 AM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    Yeah, I figured with the manual I'd have to keep the clutch out or in neutral when going around turns.

8. May 9, 2009 at 7:53 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Out of curiousity- What makes you guys fans of Auto lockers as opposed to a switchable (Air locker, e-locker, etc)

9. May 9, 2009 at 4:13 PM
    drew02a

Member:
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    I like them because they're cheep and easy to install. Also I like being able to use it on pavement without tearing up my driveline.

10. May 9, 2009 at 5:11 PM
    afd23a

Member:
    The Dynamo of Dixie
    Vehicle:
    05 Access Cab 5 Lugger
    I really just want an LSD. I'm a 2WD 5 lug and don't do much offroad. I just want the extra traction for when the roads are slick

Products Discussed in

To Top