Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

how much manual transmission fluid does it take to top off your truck?

Old 03-16-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
donlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to beholddonlogan is a splendid one to behold
donlogan's Tacoma Gallery
how much manual transmission fluid does it take to top off your truck?

I changed the transmission fluid in my 95 Tacoma today. Everything was going smoothly until it came time to fill her up. The book recommends a syringe, which I did not have.

I was fumbling around with the bottle putting in the fluid. There was some spillage. I finally got frustrated enough and went around the house looking for something that would get the job done and found one of those sinus rinse bottles. It didn't fit all the way in the fill hole but it was a lot less messy.

Anyway, the book says to fill the transmission fluid up to the fill hole. I didn't quite manage to reach that level with my 1 quart bottle. I did lose a little bit of the fluid so I ended up squeezing in a little less than 1 quart. Should it be ok with that much fluid in? I drove it around for a few minutes and it felt fine, much smoother shifting, although popping into the gears felt more notchy.

wish I had thought it sooner^
Old 03-25-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
WhatThePhuc is on a distinguished road
Name: Johnathan
WhatThePhuc's Tacoma Gallery
Well i have a 2WD V6 auto and last time I did a drain and refill (not full flush), it took about 2 quarts of trans fluid.