1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Groank Noise On Right Turns

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Scooter, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 at 10:15 PM
    Scooter

Scooter [OP] Canadian Member

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Double Cab TRD Sport Short Box
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Hi,

This just started about a week ago. Sometimes, when I make a right turn, there is a groank noise coming from what seems to be the right rear. I had the rough ride TSB done last fall. It just started happening. It's not very loud, and it isn't very consistant, although I've noticed it more, perhaps because I'm listening for it. It doesn't do it on left turns, maybe because right turns are tighter. I'm not turning fast, and I'm driving in 2WD mode on dry pavement.

Has anyone else had this happen on their 2nd Generation Taco?

2. May 8, 2009 at 10:16 PM
    FlawedXJ

FlawedXJ mall crawlin', web wheelin', concrete cowboy

Member:
    First Name:
    Paul
    NorAla
    Vehicle:
    13 F150 FX4, 99 jeep xj, 04 msm miata
    I actually have a jeep now. Imagine that.
    Groank?

3. May 9, 2009 at 10:04 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Pop n Lock Power Tailgate Lock, Bak Flip Tonneau Cover, Factory DLR installed, Defrost with A/C Off, EZ Down Tailgate Damper, Code Alarm Security System with Remote Starter, Rear Spring TSB, Ming rust proofing & paint treatment, 3M fabric protector, Cargo Mat, Scanguage II, DYI Illuminated 4X4 Switch, Versa-Gate box extender & cargo divider, Toyota Roof Rails, Grom USB Audio adapter with bluetooth, LED Bed lights, OEM Backup Camera with LCD Display Mirror
    Okay, maybe it's more like a groan, or a low creak.

4. May 9, 2009 at 7:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    When was the last time the diff oil was changed?

5. May 9, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    It only has 13,000 miles on it. How often should the diff oil be changed? It sounds like a suspension noise.

6. May 9, 2009 at 9:11 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Ok....Have someone jump up and down in the bed of your truck while you are under it. See if you can locate the noise that way.

7. May 9, 2009 at 9:24 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Thanks Chris, I'll give that a try and see, or hear[​IMG], if I can notice anything.

8. May 12, 2009 at 8:59 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I pushed and pulled and pounced on and bounced on the suspension without success of recreating the noise. If I'm lucky, it'll go away. If not, it can only get worse and more consistent, at which point, I can locate the source of the noise....maybe.

9. May 12, 2009 at 1:05 PM
    chris4x4

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    Keep us posted on if it continues...

10. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:10 AM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Okay, I feel really Stupid!

After rocking it, jumping in the box, and crawling under the truck while my wife rocked it, I could not find, nor reproduce the noise.

Last time I took my Tacoma to the dealership for an oil change, Toyota Canada had a promo. They gave out free snow brushes. It is a very nice aluminum shaft snow brush. I put it in the storage compartment under the back seat of my DC. The textured plastic brush head was resting on one of the compartment dividers, on a slight incline. When I turned left, the brush slid right and made no noise. When I turned right, it slid left and scraped on the divider, making the groank noise. My 8 year old daughter noticed the noise coming from right where she was sitting!

Go figure!

11. Jun 10, 2009 at 10:12 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    OMG that's too funny! At least it wast anything serious.

12. Jun 15, 2009 at 10:50 PM
    Scooter

Member:
    Manitoba, Canada
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, I feel pretty stupid, but it was good for a laugh.

Products Discussed in

To Top