Delta00's 2002 Tacoma 4WD

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Pinch Weld on Cars

Old 03-24-2015, 07:37 AM   #1
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nam
nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Pinch Weld on Cars

hey, have a question for you guys, when jacking up by the pinch weld, what is actually the best way to do it, lift by the actual pinchweld itself, or the area surrounding it? I am thinking about getting one of these to use on my wife's car, didn't know which was the better idea, the deeper one, or the more shallower one, thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-ea-Univers...452946&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/04-Subaru-WR...d4b3fc&vxp=mtr
Old 03-24-2015, 07:43 AM   #2
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
I wouldn't do it with or without one of those. maybe its ok just not something I would do
Old 03-24-2015, 08:04 AM   #4
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Not ideal, but in the past I've used a oak 4"x4"x7" block with a dado cut in it to not place pressure directly on the pinch weld. Works well for what it is.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:07 AM   #5
nammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shednammer is one of the sharper tools in the shed

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone View Post
Not ideal, but in the past I've used a oak 4"x4"x7" block with a dado cut in it to not place pressure directly on the pinch weld. Works well for what it is.
so you'd think more of the pressure should be on the surrounding area and not on the pinch weld itself?
Old 03-24-2015, 08:14 AM   #6
Vaginas are rad.
Boone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shedBoone is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
Boone's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by nammer View Post
so you'd think more of the pressure should be on the surrounding area and not on the pinch weld itself?
Exactly, it's pretty much a wooden version of the jack pad in your original post. I wouldn't feel good about putting weight directly on the pinch weld. Ever.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #7
Artruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedArtruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Artruck's Tacoma Gallery
There should be a place or two on the pinch weld that is for jacking. Most of the time there are marks or notches. A good rule of thumb is to jack where there is vertical structure above it (behind the front wheel where the firewall floor and side join together)
Old 03-24-2015, 10:12 AM   #8
pudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shedpudge151 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
pudge151's Tacoma Gallery
I always jack from the frame, or lower control arms or axel
Old 03-24-2015, 04:31 PM   #9

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
cool thanks guys, i'm gonna go with the one with the deeper cut, i just took the factory jack and it doesn't actually lift from the pinch weld either, it uses the surrounding area around it
Old 03-24-2015, 04:32 PM   #10

nammer's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by pudge151 View Post
I always jack from the frame, or lower control arms or axel
yea, i def do that with the taco, but can't with the car