1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Winch wiring HELP. Negative cable

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by anthony250f, Apr 4, 2015.

1. Apr 4, 2015 at 6:18 PM
    anthony250f

anthony250f [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 dcsb trd offroad 4wd
    The instructions say to wire the negative directly to the battery...but my battery is in my bad...should I run the wire all the back? Or is it okay to ground it to the frame ??

The battery is grounded to the frame with a super thick ground strap.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2015
  2. Apr 8, 2015 at 12:19 AM
    BamaToy1997

BamaToy1997 Wheel Bearing Master

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Navarre, FL
    Vehicle:
    1997 Tacoma 4X4 AKA "Blue Beast"
    best wheel bearings around! www.marionbumper2bumper.com
    If the battery itself is grounded to the frame, then you will be fine grounding the winch to the frame as well.

3. Apr 8, 2015 at 12:26 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Agreed, the biggest challenge you'll have is maintaining a corrosion free connection over time to minimize voltage drops when power is flowing. A compound called NoOx will help. Its purpose is to deny oxygen access to the metal surface. Only a thin layer is required.

more info.
    http://www.sanchem.com/electrical-contact-lubricant.html

4. Apr 8, 2015 at 6:51 AM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I just read online that you should only run it to the battery so I wasn't sure

5. Apr 8, 2015 at 8:31 AM
    VE7OSR

VE7OSR нет войне

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob II
    Okanagan, Canada
    Vehicle:
    05 DCLB TRD Sport
    Armour: All-Pro Skid plates - IFS, transmission, and transfer case. Pelfreybilt rear standard plate bumper, Metal Tech Sliders w/ kickout and dimple die filler plates. Front Suspension: OME 885 + NitroCharger 9000 shocks + 1/2" spacers for a 3" lift. Superbumps replacing stock bumpstops. Camburg ball joint UCA SS braid brake lines Future: ADS Extended length, extended length UCA BJ to increase droop capability Rear Suspension: All-Pro Expedition rear leafs, Walker Evans 27" rear shocks, extended rear brake lines (Wheelers Offroad), U -bolt flip kit, rear Timbren bumpstops. Future: Hammer Hangers, Shock relocate, ADS 12" or 14" shock. Interior: Weatherteck floor liners - front, Wet Okoles- front, ScanGauge, LED interior & map lights. Power moonroof. Exterior: Raider Cobra canopy, retrofit headlight by Insight, LED bulbs all around, modified flasher unit for LEDs. Rear diff breather mod. Front diff vibe problem, driver's side needle bearing replaced with ECGS bushing. yet to install: HID Blazer Fog Retrofit, LED Flood & Spot, + switches, fuse panel. swaybar relocate blocks (build my own)
    Make sure the wire size running from the battery to the frame, and from the winch to the frame is large enough to handle the load. The larger the better. Not sure what they are recommending, but I would think 1/0 size would be desirable.

6. Apr 8, 2015 at 9:02 AM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I might just move the battery back into the engine compartment. Would make this easier and I would have the positive wire running all the way back

7. Apr 8, 2015 at 11:46 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    The trade-off for battery locations is voltage loss due to cable size and length vs. premature battery failure from accelerated plate grid corrosion due to the high underhood temperatures during the summer, especially in hot climates. Regardless, batteries need to be fully charged to prevent sulfation, so voltage loss from the alternator could also be a consideration. If the starting or deep cycle battery can not achieve a full charge, "topping off" periodically with an external battery charger will prevent sulfation.

Bottom line is that batteries like to be cool and fully charged.

8. Apr 8, 2015 at 12:24 PM
    anthony250f

Member:
    First Name:
    Anthony
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    My battery is a brand new optima yellow top...I live in a place that's usually always 70 degrees. I also have no core support so that helps. The cable runs right next to the gas tank so that has been freaking me out too

Products Discussed in

To Top