1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2011 Manual Clutch Shudder in 1st gear from stop

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by davet111, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Apr 8, 2015 at 2:58 PM
    davet111

davet111 [OP] Active Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 DCLB OR
    I have a 2011 Tacoma that has about 62k miles on it (Right over warranty)

When I take off from 1st gear there is a shudder, like the tires are slipping then regripping, but they're not.
    I found this post that describes the same thing:
    http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/354975-take-off-shudder-vibes.html

The problem goes away once it warms up for 10 minutes or so.

Maybe I'm searching for the wrong thing, has anyone heard of this?

Thanks

2. Apr 8, 2015 at 2:59 PM
    Taco me elmo

Taco me elmo Here, Eat some paint. Drink some Bleach.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tophat bobcat
    North of South, East of West
    Vehicle:
    Slow polished TuRD
    Anti theft 5-Speed
    Check your ujoints

3. Apr 8, 2015 at 3:13 PM
    gearcruncher

gearcruncher Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Canadain bumper technician
    Great white North 51.0333° N, 93.8333° W
    Vehicle:
    2010.TRD.SportDCLB4x4Limited leather package
    TRD Sport Rally -5 speed automatic Limited ,Factory heated leather seats ,chrome package,Super white with front windows tinted to 35 % Dick Cepek DC-2 wheels Summer tires - Good year silent armor P265/65R17 Winter tires - Good year P265/65R17 Ultra Ice studded Illuminated 4x4 switch TRD 3rd brake light cover ($20) TRD seat belt shoulder protectors (5). ($50) TRD ...B pillar emblems ($20) TRD rear slider sticker with devil horns ( $6) TRD summer floor matts ($60) TRD steering wheel emblem ($20) TRD floor pedals .($95) TRD shorty antenna ($14) TRD front Windshield emblems ($17) TRD head pillows .($60) TRD head rest protectors TRD door scuff protection $20 TRD floor matt emblems ($40) TRD tow plug emblem . ($40) TRD cigarette lighter with LED.($35) TRD tissue dispenser ($12) TRD front bezel emblems ($9) TRD door emblems ($6) TRD lanyards($9) TRD lisence plates with TRD bolts($50) TRD fender emblems TRD center caps Part Number:PT904-35070-CC ($80) TRD cd
    Sounds like axle wrap to me . Spend some time searching the TW website . There are fixes for this but your issue needs to be diagnosed correctly .
    All these trucks vibrate and shudder . The trick to finding the problem is process of elimination . Members are here to help . If you edit the information on the left side of the page to show what engine you have , you will get more replies

Wyoming09 likes this.
  4. Apr 8, 2015 at 7:47 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    Sounds like either a clutch or flywheel surface problem. A rough flywheel surface is the most common cause of clutch chatter I have seen, commonly caused by someone bolting up a new clutch and ignoring the various check marks on the flywheel and not having it resurfaced. I made this mistake on my daughter's mustang a few years ago. Flywheel felt perfectly smooth. Got to take the tranny and clutch off again and get it resurfaced, which stopped the chatter.

Miles on clutch? Anything replaced recently? Etc.

5. Apr 8, 2015 at 10:24 PM
    davet111

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 DCLB OR
    Thank for the help so far guys.
    I'm not sure why the problem would go away when it warms up if it's a ujoint issue. could you help me understand that?

I've done some research already, and haven't found conclusive information. Some say they fixed their problem by adding clutch fluid. Others say one brand of clutch in the 2011 tacoma is just bad and should be replaced. I definitely want to diagnose it correctly before I dive any futher down these rabbit holes.
    I've modified my info, it's a V6, Off Road package.
    I looked into axle wrap and I don't think that's what my problem is. Especially since the issue doesn't present itself when I excessively accelerate. Only when I slowly let the clutch out. Axle wrap sounds like excessive accel only makes the problem worse.

This is what I'm thinking as well. or perhaps something is leaking onto the flywheel when it sits, and is burnt off when it warms up. I figure I'd smell something if the later was the case.

Miles are 60k. I just bought the truck 6 months ago, so I don't believe anything has been replaced recently. Nothing since I've owned it. I've put 10k miles on it and the problem only just started. -- I did take it into the dealership at 59k with a squealing throwout bearing. The said they couldn't duplicate it and I don't think they attempted any kind of repair.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2015
  6. Apr 9, 2015 at 2:42 PM
    davet111

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 DCLB OR
    I should also mention that this only happens as I'm letting the clutch out.

7. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    RobertHyatt

RobertHyatt You just can't fix stupid...

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Birmingham AL
    Vehicle:
    2007 Tacoma Prerunner SR5
    That is typical for flywheel checking. The clutch grabs, the springs that take up the shock compress, then the clutch lets go and the springs unload, giving it a chance to grab again. The actual chatter is caused by the clutch disk springs compressing and letting go, which gives 1/4" or so of chatter travel. Usually crap on the friction surface causes slippage more than anything else. If the previous owner towed a lot and didn't know how to take off, he could certainly heat the flywheel up and screw up the surface.

Taking the tranny down is not that hard, then you can examine the pressure plate and the flywheel. Were it me, I'd probably replace the clutch and carry the flywheel to someone that can resurface it. While this is not a really hard job, it takes some time, and I'd feel much better if I replaced everything at once, rather than having to take the tranny off more than once. If you have a helper, you can do this in a short day easily, allowing extra time to figure out all the quirks you have to work around (one is if you have a pre-runner, it is up off the ground. The last time I replaced one, I put the front end up on a 12" ramp, then used jack stands on the rear to get everything up high enough to make it easy to gain access everywhere. Only problem is if you use a floor jack to lower the transmission, you have to do something as an extension. I have a good 6x6 block of pressure-treated wood to get the jack up to the transmission since the prerunners (and 4x4's) are off the ground pretty high.

I've always gotten hung up on the trivial things. A hidden starter-bolt that is painful to get to on my son's mustang or my daughter's mustang. Or a bolt on top of the bell housing that takes 3 extensions and 2 universal joints to reach, etc...

8. Apr 9, 2015 at 10:49 PM
    davet111

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 DCLB OR
    I've replaced and built engines in the past, so the labor wouldn't be difficult. However I live in LA now with no access to tools or a garage, so I'd have to end up paying someone to do this for me.
    I'll probably just live with it until the clutch completely goes out. Frustrating that this happened.
    Perhaps I caused it when I towed someone's car across country recently. But I've been driving manuals for 12 years, so I doubt it was something that I did due to lack of experience.

9. Apr 12, 2015 at 6:06 PM
    davet111

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 V6 DCLB OR
    shouldn't this be covered by the 60k warranty?

10. Apr 15, 2015 at 5:33 AM
    MajKong

MajKong Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Johnny
    Reno, NV
    Vehicle:
    2008 4X4 Access Cab 4cyl
    Seatbelt Buzzer turned off, Bed Mat, Illuminated 4X4 switch, Intermittent Wipers, Fumoto drain valve, LCE header, fog lights
    My truck does this as well, but not every time. I can't figure out the exact circumstances that cause it.

11. Jun 2, 2015 at 7:02 PM
    HXC

HXC Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cory
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2011 white Dbl cab 4x4 6spd man.
    I too have a 2011 with a 6 speed. It does the exact same thing, more when it's cold outside but still does it off and on in higher temps. I agree it's most likely the clutch not engaging flat on the flywheel. I also noticed my truck hates reverse with a load. Feels like the clutch slips even with my foot off the pedal.

12. Nov 14, 2020 at 8:00 AM
    INT.EGRATED

INT.EGRATED Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Lexus GX470
    Did you ever figure out the issue?

13. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:13 AM
    fareast1

fareast1 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 Access SR5 Access
  14. Sep 11, 2022 at 6:46 AM
    INT.EGRATED

INT.EGRATED Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Francisco, CA
    Vehicle:
    2006 Lexus GX470
    I chalked it up to being underpowered for the weight I was carrying. Removed all the weight before I sold the vehicle and the shuddering went away.

Products Discussed in

To Top