1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Removing (reducing) interior scratches

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by STLTaco09, May 17, 2009.

1. May 17, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    STLTaco09

STLTaco09 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    5100's all around, fronts at 1.75". TSB leaf pack + Toytec TSB AAL
    The rear driver door on my double cab got a nice scratch/scuff in it while on a camping trip last week. It's the dark grey part with the dimples in it just below the window. I was going to write it off as a battle scar, but I read about the possibility of using a hair dryer to heat up the scratched area and then work out the scratch with your thumb or a cotton rag.

Well, I gave it a go this morning, and I'm pleased to report that the lighter parts of the scratch are 99% gone. There is a part that was significantly reduced, but the scratch is still there. The color of the scratch is MUCH more blended in with the original color of the plastic though. For the scratches that weren't as deep, I could almost watch them disappear as I heated them up. Over all, I'd say I'm really impressed!

All I used was my wife's hair dryer on high. I used a combination of my thumbs and a white cotton rag. I was careful at first not to get the dryer to close to the plastic as not to heat it up too much, but I quickly learned that it wasn't as big of an issue as I originally thought. By the time I finished, I was using the dryer about 1/2" from the scratch for about 5-10 seconds at a time. Between heating it up, I was working the scratch with my thumb or the cloth. I'd have to wipe the area with a damp cloth to get rid of the lint from the cotton rag, but it seemed like a good process. I spent probably 30 minutes on it.

2. May 17, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    sweater914

sweater914 Well-Known Member

Member:
    North Dakota
    Vehicle:
    '09 I4 5spd Access Cab Timberland Mica SR5
    Great to know my wife keyed the interior panel on the driver's side by mistake the 2 week we had the Taco at home. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top