Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Removing (reducing) interior scratches

Old 05-17-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
STLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura aboutSTLTaco09 has a spectacular aura about
STLTaco09's Tacoma Gallery
Thumbs up Removing (reducing) interior scratches

The rear driver door on my double cab got a nice scratch/scuff in it while on a camping trip last week. It's the dark grey part with the dimples in it just below the window. I was going to write it off as a battle scar, but I read about the possibility of using a hair dryer to heat up the scratched area and then work out the scratch with your thumb or a cotton rag.

Well, I gave it a go this morning, and I'm pleased to report that the lighter parts of the scratch are 99% gone. There is a part that was significantly reduced, but the scratch is still there. The color of the scratch is MUCH more blended in with the original color of the plastic though. For the scratches that weren't as deep, I could almost watch them disappear as I heated them up. Over all, I'd say I'm really impressed!

All I used was my wife's hair dryer on high. I used a combination of my thumbs and a white cotton rag. I was careful at first not to get the dryer to close to the plastic as not to heat it up too much, but I quickly learned that it wasn't as big of an issue as I originally thought. By the time I finished, I was using the dryer about 1/2" from the scratch for about 5-10 seconds at a time. Between heating it up, I was working the scratch with my thumb or the cloth. I'd have to wipe the area with a damp cloth to get rid of the lint from the cotton rag, but it seemed like a good process. I spent probably 30 minutes on it.
Old 05-17-2009, 06:07 PM   #2
sweater914 will become famous soon enough
sweater914's Tacoma Gallery
Great to know my wife keyed the interior panel on the driver's side by mistake the 2 week we had the Taco at home. Thanks.