LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Diff fluids poll

View Poll Results: How many miles until you change you diff fluid?
10K 24 6.35%
25K 151 39.95%
50K 131 34.66%
100K 21 5.56%
What change Diff fluids on a tacoma?? 51 13.49%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-01-2009, 03:31 PM   #21
Front sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shedFront sight is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Law Enforcement: SeaBee
Front sight's Tacoma Gallery
I use the Royal Purple. I has the limited slip additive already mixed in. I called Royal Purple and spoke with a tech. No need to add anything else. I changed mine out last month and have no issues. No chatter, whine, or clunking.
Old 07-01-2009, 05:34 PM   #22
Poser Truck
jandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shedjandrews is one of the sharper tools in the shed

jandrews's Tacoma Gallery
Haven't done it yet, but it's on the list for Friday.

Plan is to switch to Mobil 1 Synthetic 75w-90 out of the gate and change every 10,000mi or 1x/year, whichever comes first. Probably overkill, but this truck is my baby.
Old 08-19-2009, 03:15 PM   #23
rob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrob1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
rob1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
those of you using Royal Purple, its 75w90 for front and rear right. And max atf for the auto tranny. also I read you dont need the LSD additive with the RP, is that true?
THAT IS SO CORRECT a matter a fact going to change the motor oil and I thought the guy at PepBoys gave me the wrong filter but called Royal Purple and yes they gave me the correct filter #10-2835 SOOOO since I had him on the phone I asked him, "Which differential oil do I use if I have a LSD differiential."
He said to use the Max Gear 75w-90IT ALREADY HAS THE ADDITIVE FOR LSD DIFFERIENTIALS. No need to buy and put ANY kind of additive. Spoke to a guy name David.(Very knowlegable guy) the # is 1-888-382-6300
BUT I DID NOT ASK HIM ANYTHING ABOUT THE TRANNY!!!!!!! SO CALL!!!!!!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 08:30 AM   #24
SUPMO72 is on a distinguished road

SUPMO72's Tacoma Gallery
Every 30k for me...
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 PM   #25
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
is this the same for the 1st gen tacos? not sure if i have lsd or not. how would i know. just bought the truck going to go through and change all fluids
Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #26
Uncivilized Creations Prez
PrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shedPrezidentRedz is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Redz
PrezidentRedz's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to PrezidentRedz
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvtak View Post
is this the same for the 1st gen tacos? not sure if i have lsd or not. how would i know. just bought the truck going to go through and change all fluids
yes they need changing every 30k. you most likely have an Open diff, if you dont have the E-locker.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:42 PM   #28
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
okay so i could still use the RP with the additive in it correct?
Old 12-27-2009, 07:11 AM   #29
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
I did mine last weekend at 98XX miles and I used Super Tech (& 1/2 ltr of Mobil 1) from Wally Mart.

I figured the cheaper stuff for now as I will probably change it again at 20~25k.
I wanted to get any metal out that may have been from assembly.
(Also wanted a reason to tinker on the Taco )

By the way, the the diff's fluid was not dripping out when I pulled the fill plug. It seems to have been a little low????

Yuma Taco,
Old 12-27-2009, 09:57 AM   #30
Yuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant futureYuma Taco has a brilliant future
Yuma Taco's Tacoma Gallery
~

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyissuperman View Post
You're going cheap out $9 for the next 20-25k miles?
No, I'll be changing it again in 10~15k miles. And the Super Tech label has had a good rap on Bobistheoilguy's site.
I also could not find any Red Line, So I'll have to order some...

Yuma Taco,
Old 12-27-2009, 08:21 PM   #31

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
redline is good stuff, but not readily available at most stores. when i had my s2000 everyone swore by the stuff but i used lucas oil and never had a lick of problems. thats what ill be putting in the taco.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:25 PM   #32
jerris is on a distinguished road
Name: jerris
jerris's Tacoma Gallery
I used the gear oil sold at walmart.
Old 03-26-2010, 10:50 PM   #34
Crankey Old Yacht Jockey
Timber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant futureTimber has a brilliant future

Name: Tim
Timber's Tacoma Gallery
IMO, Initial change 10-15k let everything break in. Then 30k thereafter, unless you have been doing river crossings without a diff breather mod. Then you should swap out the rear sooner.
Old 02-19-2011, 09:59 PM   #35
S.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shedS.B. is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Sean
S.B.'s Tacoma Gallery
All diffs and tranny at 260,000 miles. No joke, the only thing that when bad was the rear diff, it blew up on the freeway. Tranny was hard to shift and robbed a shit ton of power but it still ran. Now that I changed the oils it has much more power and shifts great. The oils were VERY sludgy!

Oh this was on my friend's 1990 4-Runner. Only in a Toyota!!
Old 03-13-2011, 09:50 PM   #36
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
I looked in the toyota manual and in the haynes dummy book and also got a print out of recomended fluids by toyota, and I didn't see anywhere that it called for slip fluid. It did call for the gear oil be GL-5 or GL-6. Can anyone tell me where it says that it requires slip fluid. I am about to change out the fluids for the first time tomorrow and don't wanna skip doing that or do it and not need it.
Old 03-14-2011, 08:30 AM   #37
BlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shedBlueT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BlueT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
I looked in the toyota manual and in the haynes dummy book and also got a print out of recomended fluids by toyota, and I didn't see anywhere that it called for slip fluid. It did call for the gear oil be GL-5 or GL-6. Can anyone tell me where it says that it requires slip fluid. I am about to change out the fluids for the first time tomorrow and don't wanna skip doing that or do it and not need it.
You have 2010 truck so no need for slip fluid.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:09 AM   #38
DGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shedDGXR is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Friend
DGXR's Tacoma Gallery
95% street use, infrequent towing and hauling... 50k mile differential oil change interval for me.
Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #40
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
I changed them at 30K. Everything looked fine. There was crud on the magnets but nothing that looked out of the ordinary. I'm sure I would have been fine if I let it go to 30K.