Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Diff fluids poll

View Poll Results: How many miles until you change you diff fluid?
10K 24 6.35%
25K 151 39.95%
50K 131 34.66%
100K 21 5.56%
What change Diff fluids on a tacoma?? 51 13.49%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 AM   #41
WESTern Alliance: NORCAL COAST
BeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedBeefTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

BeefTaco's Tacoma Gallery
75w-90 every 30,000 miles.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #42
Rocketman is on a distinguished road
Rocketman's Tacoma Gallery
Just did my front, rear, transfer case all at 43k cause it wasn't done at 30k.

The rear was pretty shot and needed it. Magnets looked like normal wear. Both front diff and transfer case were clean, with the transfer case looking and smelling almost brand new.

Even for light use I'd recommend changing the rear every 30k.

Replaced everything with Motul 300 Gear 75w-90 (little over 5L)
Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #44
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texoma View Post
Just curious, if the diff doesn't need slip fluid, but you put it in anyway, what affect will this have on the diff? Good? Bad? Nothing at all?
No effect.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:15 PM   #45
jim5893 is on a distinguished road

Army: SGT. 101st Air Borne
Name: Jim
jim5893's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine at 25k, front. rear and transfer with mobile 1 full synthetic, wont touch now until 100+k.
Old 04-19-2011, 03:33 PM   #46
Blaise22 has a spectacular aura aboutBlaise22 has a spectacular aura about
Name: Blaise
Blaise22's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
30-40K Only Use RedLine Diff Oils. and MT90 for the Man Trans on the Tacos!
and this is Why, Awesome Shock Proof Oil!

thats awsome, is that the heavy shockproof oil? Can I use shockproof in my locking diff?
Old 04-23-2011, 03:25 PM   #47
Drogers is on a distinguished road

Name: Derek
Drogers's Tacoma Gallery
I'm trying to figure out if my truck needs LSD additive when I change my front and rear diffs. The dealer said only use additive in the rear. Is this true? About to start getting supplies for my 30K maintenance and want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks
Old 04-23-2011, 03:32 PM   #48
Banned
whippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shedwhippersnapper02 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Christian
whippersnapper02's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to whippersnapper02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drogers View Post
I'm trying to figure out if my truck needs LSD additive when I change my front and rear diffs. The dealer said only use additive in the rear. Is this true? About to start getting supplies for my 30K maintenance and want to make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

Thanks
No additive needed in either diff. All 09 and up trucks don't need it.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:19 AM   #49
Go home if you don't like guns liquor and whores.
maxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmaxamillion2345 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Max
maxamillion2345's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine at 15 front and rear when I did my diff breather I think.

Then again at 30K with Valvoline full syn 75W-90

Will do again at 60k. Might change out trans earlier for MT90, don't like the way it shifts so I think the MT90 GL4 will be better.
Old 05-02-2011, 08:22 AM   #50
KBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shedKBToyota is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines: Sgt (DD-214), 3d Marine Division
Name: Kurt
KBToyota's Tacoma Gallery
If you mud and do a lot of water crossings, especially if you didnt do the diff breather mod you should change you fluid more often, if this is the case there is no reason to put high $$$ gear oil in the diff if your going to change it every 20K.
Old 05-21-2011, 09:01 PM   #51
Naelr is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
Naelr's Tacoma Gallery
I have 75k Miles on my 05 Tacoma. Just added a K&N performance intake and gained 2mpg. I pull our 3k lb pop up camper with it. (just bought the truck last year) The old guy before me said he followed all maintenance schedules but ya never know and he just did light driving. I haven't read it all but the Haynes manual didn't say I have LSD do all 05's have it or do I need to call the Dealer? I want to change at least my rear before next weekend when we go camping. I bought the oil and some LSD additive because the guy at Autozone said to have just in case I needed it. I am not that good with a wrench but am keeping this truck for a long time and don't need to put the $$$ into a garage or a dealer. Next will be the transmission fluid... not looking forward to that one, might pay someone to do that. Loving the site have read about all the mods I believe. I guess the first one i will do will be the rear breather mod... looks simple enough...

Naelr
Old 03-28-2012, 04:37 PM   #52
pop639 is on a distinguished road
pop639's Tacoma Gallery
I didn't change mine till 130,000...only did the the t case and rear diff...couldn't get the front diff plug out. I think I'll be ok.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:08 AM   #53
05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed05sctaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Ken
05sctaco's Tacoma Gallery
Once you get your truck off the lot, change the diff fluid it's like thick grease. I changed at 30k, and it was thick like hair gel. Changed again at 60k and my royal purple i put in looked almost new.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:54 PM   #54
penguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shedpenguins_cc is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
penguins_cc's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via Skype™ to penguins_cc
Every 30K with Amsoil all around. I babied it most of the first 30K but over the last 10K I've been doing some towing, offroading, etc. The oil looked OK with some crud on the magnets but nothing excessive. Sure seemed like it drove smoother after it was done.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #55
Oh yeah!
rb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shedrb11701 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Rob
rb11701's Tacoma Gallery
Did my rear at 40k. Oil was real dark and magnet had some gunk. Will do Front and T/C next week or so.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 AM   #56
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by harshest View Post
Every 30k like the book says.

Right, and it was not one of the poll choices, so I couldn't vote. I actually changed mine closer to 40,000 miles as it was changed at 10,000 after crossing deep water, before I did the diff. breather mod, and it was contaminated.

At 40,000 it looked okay, but dark... the front diff was better, but the transfer case oil looked brand new!

Used Mobil 1 75-140 in the rear and 75-90 in the front and transfer case.
Old 08-16-2012, 02:12 AM   #57
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naelr View Post
I have 75k Miles on my 05 Tacoma. Just added a K&N performance intake and gained 2mpg. I pull our 3k lb pop up camper with it. (just bought the truck last year) The old guy before me said he followed all maintenance schedules but ya never know and he just did light driving. I haven't read it all but the Haynes manual didn't say I have LSD do all 05's have it or do I need to call the Dealer? I want to change at least my rear before next weekend when we go camping. I bought the oil and some LSD additive because the guy at Autozone said to have just in case I needed it. I am not that good with a wrench but am keeping this truck for a long time and don't need to put the $$$ into a garage or a dealer. Next will be the transmission fluid... not looking forward to that one, might pay someone to do that. Loving the site have read about all the mods I believe. I guess the first one i will do will be the rear breather mod... looks simple enough...

Naelr
If it is a SPORT TRD '05 to '08 or there is an LSD sticker on the diff.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:34 PM   #59
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Every 10k km for all three. But I over maintain the shit out of all my vehicles because it costs practically nothing.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:48 PM   #60
Slow as shit. Cute as Hell.
Steves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSteves104x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steve
Steves104x4's Tacoma Gallery
Changed mine at 10k; absolutely FILTHY. Nice now. Not as nice as these but nice.