Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Diff fluids poll

View Poll Results: How many miles until you change you diff fluid?
10K 24 6.35%
25K 151 39.95%
50K 131 34.66%
100K 21 5.56%
What change Diff fluids on a tacoma?? 51 13.49%
Voters: 378. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-29-2012, 07:54 PM   #61
RMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shedRMorenoUSA is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert
RMorenoUSA's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves104x4 View Post
Changed mine at 10k; absolutely FILTHY. Nice now. Not as nice as these but nice.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Old 08-29-2012, 07:57 PM   #63
Toyota Dealer Technician
1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed1GR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Scott
1GR's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to 1GR
Something about how often we lube something?

Daily.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:34 AM   #64
No amount of balls on earth can hit you.
Rupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRupp1 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Rupp1's Tacoma Gallery
Just did mine last weekend.
I voted 25k, since I'm going by the book. (30K)
Used Mobil 1 75W90.
Old 08-31-2012, 10:39 AM   #65
Banned
shemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to beholdshemp is a splendid one to behold
shemp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrezidentRedz View Post
30-40K Only Use RedLine Diff Oils. and MT90 for the Man Trans on the Tacos!
and this is Why, Awesome Shock Proof Oil!

That looks strangely like ATF+water...
Old 09-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #66
aficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shedaficianado is one of the sharper tools in the shed
aficianado's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by novataco View Post
I just had my local mechanic (not Toyota), whom I trust, handle my 30K maintenance because I am jammed up at work and going on a vacation road trip next week.

Toyota has two different 30K servicing options: one for heavy use (towing & 4 wheeling) and one for light duty use (road driving). The heavy use calls for diff. oil change, transfer case, and tranny coolant. The light use plan doesn't change out the oils or coolant.

My mechanic said mine looked fine, since all my use is light duty city and highway miles. So if you are doing it yourself its a judgment call as to when you change it out, but its definitely not a given to do it at 30K. I will probably change mine out around 50K, well before the 60K servicing mark. He did clean out my intake, which is something Toyota doesn't offer in their 30K maintenance, but is beneficial.

Between the servicing, the full detailing I did the previous week, and the brand new Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos, truck is looking and running sweet.
tranny coolant?

i did all my fluids at 37k miles..one differential, i think the front was filthy black. the rest, the stuff looked new. i did my tranny Fluid at 60k.

easy enough and cheap enough to DIY. i knock it out again soon..diff and transfer case. at around 75k miles.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #67
RELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shedRELLIM is one of the sharper tools in the shed

RELLIM's Tacoma Gallery
So... the 2010 don't need the dick slick additive for the LSD...? just curious where is this stated?

Also, do you need to replace the filler plug gasket? Dumb question....i know..feedback please..

Thank you..
Old 09-15-2012, 07:36 AM   #68
Texoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTexoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Machinist Mate NEC 4283
Name: Chris(Topher)
Texoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post
So... the 2010 don't need the dick slick additive for the LSD...? just curious where is this stated?

Also, do you need to replace the filler plug gasket? Dumb question....i know..feedback please..

Thank you..

There would be a sticker on the diff near the fill plug that says limited slip on it. Your truck has auto lsd, which uses the brakes and not the diff itself. You don't need to replace the crush washer, but it is a good idea.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:58 AM   #69
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by RELLIM View Post

Thank you..
The last year there was a mechanical limited slip differential (and only on the Sport TRD '05-'08) was 2008. Since then Toyota has equipped ALL Tacomas with TRAC & AUTO LSD which is an electronic/ brake assist limited slip.

SpeedFreek did my fluid changes and he said no new plug gaskets needed, just flip them around and use a sealent on the threads... I have had not one drop on my garage floor.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:00 PM   #70
TwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to allTwzteD is a name known to all

Name: Kyle
TwzteD's Tacoma Gallery
I just changed my rear diff and xfer case fluid today but its super clean? it was as clean as the mobil1 75w90 i put in, it has never been changed before and my truck has 32k idk?
Old 09-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #71
David K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shedDavid K is one of the sharper tools in the shed

David K's Tacoma Gallery
That is great news... My front diff. and transfer case oil looked new, as well. Put new Mobil 1 75-90 in them. The rear was a bit darker, put new Mobil 1 75-140 in it... as it gets the majority of work load, and it is what Speedfreek recommended.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 AM   #72
Purveyor of Fun
benbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shedbenbacher is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: ^
benbacher's Tacoma Gallery
Did mine a few weeks ago with 75/90 royal purple. Both diffs looked great and I've noticed very little difference in switching to synthetic. Minus the placebo effect that is. 30 k miles just like the book says for me too. Need to do the spark plugs now...lol not super motivated.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 PM   #74
Ace of Spades
Alderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shedAlderleet is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: OPSEC
Name: Nick
Alderleet's Tacoma Gallery
75w-90 severe gear ftw
Old 11-25-2012, 08:32 PM   #75
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed both diff's and Tcase last week in my runner, i used full synthetic valvoline GL-5 75w-90, i have to check but i think that valvoline already has the LSD additive formulated in it. I just bought it this past march with 165k on it, the old fluid still looked good tho'.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:34 PM   #76
68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed68dave is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
68dave's Tacoma Gallery
This is what i used in mt T.case and diff's., it has the limited slip additive formulated in.
Attached Thumbnails
Diff fluids poll-002.jpg  
Old 02-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #77
tacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomataco2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

tacomataco2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 68dave View Post
This is what i used in mt T.case and diff's., it has the limited slip additive formulated in.
Thats what i used last weekend when i put my lsd in. I read if you have an lsd it usually still needs a tube of lsd additive tho.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #78
Mad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shedMad Man Marty is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Marty
Mad Man Marty's Tacoma Gallery
Di fluid change interval

Every 30k @ minimum as reco'd in service.
Not a choice in poll so...
Old 09-13-2013, 02:57 AM   #80
Paint me back in Wyoming again...
45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed45acp is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jonathan
45acp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote away!!