1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Oil Gasket - Extra???

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by mws4ua, May 30, 2009.

1. May 30, 2009 at 10:37 AM
    mws4ua

mws4ua [OP] I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2018 GMC Sierra SLT Z71 4x4... Yeah yeah, I know.
    First of all, I changed my own oil last time, and I did everything the way it should have been done. I'm not an idiot (don't laugh) and I've changed oil on cars before.

So I'm changing my oil today and after taking off the old filter I look down and see this:

[​IMG]

I DON'T remember this gasket the last time, and I certainly don't remember it falling off the way it has this time. I looked at pictures in the Ultimate Oil Change thread to make sure I'm not crazy (see 5th picture) and there's no gasket present.

Here's a picture of just the gasket:

[​IMG]

Here's a picture of the engine w/o the gasket, which looks just like the one in the thread linked above:

[​IMG]

Here's how the gasket appears to fit on my truck before it fell off:

[​IMG]

What is this? Anybody seen one before? There's nothing like it on the new filter. The new filter looks EXACTLY like the old filter... this gasket is just extra. Should I just throw it away? Should I try to hold it there while I put on the new filter? I'm confused!

Thanks!

2. May 30, 2009 at 11:11 AM
    steviestyles

steviestyles The "Search" tab is your friend!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs
    Vehicle:
    07 DC 4x4 TRD Off Road
    Bone Stock
    Looks like the gasket from your removed oil filter. Do you use the Toyota OEM filter? They use a black gasket just like the one you found. Check the filter you removed if you still have it.

3. May 30, 2009 at 11:56 AM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    Yeah... that's the strange thing. I'm using a Toyota filter this time, and I used one last time. The filter I took off still had the rubber gasket on it, and the gasket in the picture is significantly thicker than the one on the Toyota filters. I probably should have put a picture of the filter by the gasket...

4. May 30, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    This is the oil filter gasket. Did you rub some oil on it when it was installed? This helps it seal better and not stick.

5. May 30, 2009 at 12:52 PM
    mws4ua

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    I'm beginning to think it was the gasket from the filter prior to the one I took off today. It stuck to the truck when I took off the previous filter, but I didn't notice when I put on the last filter. (I guess I'm lucky it stuck when I put on the new filter.) This time it came off with the filter, so no harm no foul.

Thanks for your help, guys.

6. May 30, 2009 at 1:22 PM
    Pster

Pster Well-Known Member

Member:
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tacoma 4x4
    Bak Flip bed cover, shorty antenna, Peripheral iPod interface, Garmin 750 mount, add'l bed tie down rings, Westin nerf bars, hitch safe, tailgate lock, Ideal 1 3/4" turn-key clamp to secure tailgate from removal, Spare tire security cable, spare tire stainless air hose extender, Fumoto oil drain valve, Amp Research Bed X-Tender w/Schlage Cable Lock, bed mat, Redline hood struts
    Put some oil on your finger and rub a film of oil around the filter gasket before you install the next filter, it will really help in sealing the new gasket and keeping it from sticking when you next remove it.

Products Discussed in

To Top