Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Trany temp guage

Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 PM   #1
qwert is on a distinguished road
qwert's Tacoma Gallery
Trany temp guage

Can anyone tell me if there is a port on the 09 Taco TRD trany for an add-on temp guage?
Old 06-01-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
Shine bright like a hymen
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Derek
DDD's Tacoma Gallery
The automatic transmission has a temperature sensor. I believe it is just connected to the computer. It probably won't work with an off the shelf gauge.
Look at this.

If I really wanted to add a temp gauge to monitor the fluid's temp. I would add it to the inlet hose on the trans cooler. Its just a rubber hose, you should be able cut it and splice in a sending unit.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:02 AM   #4
DDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shedDDD is one of the sharper tools in the shed

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
After reading this it may be possible to use the existing trans temp sensor and connect it to a Auto meter gauge.

Someone smarter than me needs to read that PDF and find out if the resistance on the stock sensor is the same as an "off the shelf gauge". It looks like the stock sensor sending unit has a resistance between 79k ohms and 156k ohms.

But, I agree with Anathollo. If it is that important to you, just get a Scangauge. TW member 3n1 still sells them for $150 shipped.
Old 06-01-2009, 03:27 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
Yep, I spliced into the rubber hose to run my autometer trans temp gauge. It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a scangauge 2 and have it read the trans temp for you. There's an old group buy for them and you can still get them for a 150$ shipped which is cheap!
The Scangauge does not read trans temps. The company has not been able to get cooperation from Toyota to allow them to access the computer to get that information. I've been wanting this feature ever since I bought my Scangauge 2 years ago. It's like they gave up trying ....
Old 06-02-2009, 04:47 PM   #6
salsataco is on a distinguished road
salsataco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anathollo View Post
Yep, I spliced into the rubber hose to run my autometer trans temp gauge. It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a scangauge 2 and have it read the trans temp for you. There's an old group buy for them and you can still get them for a 150$ shipped which is cheap!

Any chance we could see pics and get part #'s?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:57 PM   #7

DDD's Tacoma Gallery
On second thought, a sending unit needs to be grounded. Connecting it in-line with a rubber hose would not give you a ground.

I think your best solution would be to cut the steel lines that carry the fluid to the cooler. Then add a fitting such as the one pictured below.