1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Trany temp guage

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by qwert, May 31, 2009.

1. May 31, 2009 at 8:23 PM
    qwert

qwert [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD
    Can anyone tell me if there is a port on the 09 Taco TRD trany for an add-on temp guage?

2. Jun 1, 2009 at 2:48 AM
    DDD

DDD Shine bright like a hymen

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    The automatic transmission has a temperature sensor. I believe it is just connected to the computer. It probably won't work with an off the shelf gauge.
    If I really wanted to add a temp gauge to monitor the fluid's temp. I would add it to the Its just a rubber hose, you should be able cut it and splice in a sending unit.

3. Jun 1, 2009 at 2:58 AM
    Anathollo

Anathollo www.saveadane.org

Member:
    Houston
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Icon coilovers, Rear Fox Resi-shocks, 285/70/17 Toyo A/T's, Touchscreen JVC Headunit, Custom Rhino-lined sub box, Rocksford Fosgate components and Dual Rockford Fosgate 10" shallow subs, Pioneer and Rocksford Fosgate amps, 1250 watts total, Autometer Volt and Trans gauges with Lotek A-pillar, K&N Drop-in filter, WO Seat covers, Tint, NST WP pulley, Hi-lift jack, Diff breather mod, horn relocation mod, extra "D" rings, de-pinstriped, carrier bearing drop, Rear backup 886 bulbs, Camburg UCA's, AMW Catch can, BHLM, OME Dakars with AAL, Procomp 7089's, Front single hoop Demello bumper, Superwinch Tiger Shark 9500, Amsteel 3/8th synthetic line
    Yep, I spliced into the rubber hose to run my autometer trans temp gauge. It would be cheaper in the long run to just buy a scangauge 2 and have it read the trans temp for you. There's an old group buy for them and you can still get them for a 150$ shipped which is cheap!

4. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:02 AM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    After it may be possible to use the existing trans temp sensor and connect it to a Auto meter gauge.

Someone smarter than me needs to read that PDF and find out if the resistance on the stock sensor is the same as an "off the shelf gauge". It looks like the stock sensor sending unit has a resistance between 79k ohms and 156k ohms.

But, I agree with Anathollo. If it is that important to you, just get a Scangauge. TW member 3n1 still sells them for $150 shipped.

5. Jun 1, 2009 at 3:27 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    The Scangauge does not read trans temps. The company has not been able to get cooperation from Toyota to allow them to access the computer to get that information. I've been wanting this feature ever since I bought my Scangauge 2 years ago. It's like they gave up trying ....

6. Jun 2, 2009 at 4:47 PM
    salsataco

salsataco Well-Known Member

Member:

Any chance we could see pics and get part #'s?

7. Jun 2, 2009 at 10:57 PM
    DDD

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Santa Clarita, CA
    On second thought, a sending unit needs to be grounded. Connecting it in-line with a rubber hose would not give you a ground.

I think your best solution would be to cut the steel lines that carry the fluid to the cooler. Then add a fitting such as the one pictured below.

[​IMG]

Products Discussed in

To Top