1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Skid Plates...which is better, TRD one or the shiny one...?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by 45longcolt, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Dec 4, 2007 at 1:00 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Guys, I see some skid plates that are either white or alumnum colored on some Tacomas and then I see the TRD skid plate that comes with the package. Which is the better one? My dealer had tried to sell me an "option" skid plate yet the TRD package comes with one already. What's up with that?

2. Dec 4, 2007 at 7:26 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    What your dealer tried to sell you is a purely accent piece. It bolts on where your front tow hooks are, and is as usefull as mamallian protruberances on a bull. (how's that for politically correct). It is I suppose supposed to protect the paint on your lower front bumper, but if you are in a situation where that skidplate actually hits something you are already so unbelievably humped anyway that it really won't matter. That and since it only attaches at the bottom all that would happen is that the skidplate itself would be pushed up into the bumper and cause it's own damage.

That said, the plates that came on your truck from the factory will be absolutely fine unless you are looking to run the baja 1000 or make a habbit of hardcore rock crawling every weekend.

Save your money for other mods.

3. Dec 4, 2007 at 7:51 AM
    45longcolt

45longcolt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    DFW Area
    Vehicle:
    2020 Off Road
    Yeah they wanted $200 for that "pretty" skid plate. He had it listed on my sheet and I argued with him until he took that off. It's like I was paying for the skid plate twice and the steel one is the better one anyway.

Products Discussed in

To Top