1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Tow package for '06 Pre-Runner?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by omar11omar, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Dec 8, 2007 at 3:30 AM
    omar11omar

omar11omar [OP] SD TACO

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma preRunner d-cab
    None, YET!
    Can I install a tow package for my 06 Pre-runner d-cab. I bought it used and that was the only option it did not have. I dont tow much but would like to have the option. Besides the hitch, do I need transmission coolers, etc.....

sugestions?

2. Dec 8, 2007 at 4:36 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Please read through this http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4031-tacoma-towing-bible.html Post two pretty much covers your question, but if you are looking to tow then I suggest that you read the whole thing.

3. Dec 8, 2007 at 4:48 AM
    omar11omar

omar11omar [OP] SD TACO

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    None, YET!
    TKS for the info, im new to this and have found it helpful. I have to decide between an 06 Tacoma TRD loaded, long bed, side air bags, the works, EXCEPT for the tow package. 16k miles, or for the same price I can get a new 08 short bed TRD w/ tow package. suggestions. ???????

4. Dec 8, 2007 at 5:28 AM
    maverick491

maverick491 Towing Guru

Member:
    South Jersey
    Vehicle:
    07 4x4 Access Cab, TRD off road, 6 cyl, 6 spd
    Activator III brake controller, Extang Fulltilt toneau, Factory bed mat, Extra D-rings in the bed, 2ndary air filter removed, Garmin Ique GPS, Eco-2, AFE Pro Dry-s filter, USASPEC PA12-toy, Pioneer 3-way speakers, SG II on Blendmount, Gulf States Alarm added.
    Prime question is what do you want to tow? If you are looking to tow a trailer that is more than half the vehicle's tow rating more than a few times a year you are going to do better for yourself with the full tow package, if you are only looking to tow something small a few times a year over short distances then you can get by with adding a hitch and wiring, and not worry so much about the alternator, battery or coolers.

Also, are you interested in any kind of serious off-roading, The Double Cab long bed is going to limit where you can go off-road and risk high-centering more, while the short bed is going to not have those problems. As well as what are you going to use the bed for. It's a lot easier to haul plywood or sheetrock in the long bed, but if you are not that into DIY home improvements then the short bed should be fine.

Lots of questions about intended use that you have to answer for yourself before making this choice. Also, the 08 is going to have a full warranty, where the 06 is just out of it's warranty on time or soon will be (disregard if they are including the toyota extended warranty) but personally, while I know they are toyotas, and you'll likely never need, it, I buy new vehicles with extended warranties, because I don't want to have to work on my vehicles.

Just my $0.02

5. Dec 8, 2007 at 5:36 AM
    omar11omar

omar11omar [OP] SD TACO

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    None, YET!
    I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top