Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin Nuvi GPS

Old 07-15-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
What is the Search Tab for????
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: 96 Romeos, 1st Infantry Division, 101st MI, Deployed to OIF2
Ghost96Romeo's Tacoma Gallery
*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin Nuvi GPS

In this day and age I don't know many who would shy away from free stuff. If you are the owner (proud or not) of a Garmin Nuvi GPS the tips and links below will help download and install topographical or city map updates onto your GPS.

* First and foremost you have to determine if your computer has Garmin's Mapsource program. If you already do, then you're able to skip a few steps. If you don't you'll need to progress to the next step. If you are unsure whether you do or do not follow this pathway. --->Start Menu--->All Programs--->Look for a Garmin folder which should have the Mapsource icon. If you do not have either, then you will need to move to the next step.

- Step 1-
You'll need to download Garmin's Training Center software. Cut and paste the following link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/colle...t=999-99999-04 You will need to down Garmin's Training Center software in order to download the Mapsource update which will allow you upload topo maps to your Garmin GPS.

-Step 2-
Cut and paste this link to get the Mapsource update: http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...ils.jsp?id=209(In the event you need or want additional information on how to get a free copy of Garmin's Mapsource program you can cut and paste this link. http://freegeographytools.com/2007/g...ource-for-free
Now that you have installed Mapsource you are ready to start downloading maps to your computer and upload them to your Garmin GPS. As I eventually learned to do this is not overly difficult but If you have questions, here's some additional reading. To read more on downloading maps to your computer and uploading to your GPS cut and paste this link: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorial...mapsettoolkit/

-Step 3-
Once you are ready to begin downloading maps just cut and paste the following link and select the state you wish to download. This also works for updating existing city maps.
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/
Depending on the state you may have multiple options with which to choose. Choose the link for the map and click the download windows link. Doing so should trigger a pop up window asking if you want to run, save or cancel. I would recommend run and let it install.

-Step 4-
- Once you have downloaded the map(s) you want open up the Garmin Mapsource program and in the upper left corner there should be a drop down box which will show the which maps you have on your computer. At this point, select which map from the drop down and it will display in the map area in the main part of the screen. Using your mouse, press the left button and drag it over the area of the map you want to highlight (there is a highlight button you need to push first). It should light up the grid a yellow color and the box on the left side of the screen will start populating with the various files which comprise the map area you selected.

My recommendation would be to do this for all of map area you wish to upload to your GPS. Once you have all the map files set that you want to send to your GPS click the button at the top to "Send to Device" and the process will begin to start uploading your newly acquired maps to your GPS.

Below are a few points I learned along the way that I will share:
* I learned that you cannot update or individual topo map files as the new one will over write the previous file.
* Another point I will make is that your GPS is somewhat limited in the amount of onboard memory it does have. I was able to upload 24k topo maps for TX and city map update and have a small amount of memory left. If you're decide to go hog wild and download numerous states or areas I would recommend getting an SD card with a few gigabytes of storage on it.

It's been a few days since I got everything situated on my Nuvi350 and so far so good. I've noticed a subtle difference on GPS with additional detail which was not there previously for bodies of water, elevation and so on. If you decide to take advantage of this, good luck and I hope you enjoy.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
Those are too many words for me right now...but I did pick out "Free," "Garmin Nüvi," and "the."

So I'm in. After a good night's rest, that is. Good find!
Old 07-15-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
Ghost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shedGhost96Romeo is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by EquinsuOcha View Post
Those are too many words for me right now...but I did pick out "Free," "Garmin Nüvi," and "the."

So I'm in. After a good night's rest, that is. Good find!

I tried to be as detailed as possible with the instructions. It'll work out.
Old 07-15-2009, 09:13 PM   #4
Bourbon
EquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shedEquinsuOcha is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Casey
EquinsuOcha's Tacoma Gallery
I hope so! It sounds awesome
Old 07-15-2009, 09:23 PM   #5
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: K9 Handler
MonkeyProof's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via MSN to MonkeyProof Send a message via Skype™ to MonkeyProof
downloading a topo map as i type this...i have a garmin topo map ready to go but um...i dont have the ahem..unlock key
Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyProof View Post
downloading a topo map as i type this...i have a garmin topo map ready to go but um...i dont have the ahem..unlock key

I didn't run into any problems with needing an unlock key.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:06 AM   #7
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
wonder if this will work on my kenwood with garmin...

Edit: ohh probably not since I cant press the "send to device button" in that program and have it appear on my 5120. IT would need to work through a thumb drive also.
Old 07-16-2009, 07:45 AM   #9
East Bound and Down
Dark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shedDark Knight is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jeff
Dark Knight's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brunes View Post
I'm liking what I'm seeing so far...We'll see how it all works out. I'd LOVE topo for the area I wheel around...

=)
lol all 56ft above sea level that you are??
Old 07-16-2009, 08:02 AM   #12
Power Top
MonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shedMonkeyProof is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost96Romeo View Post
I didn't run into any problems with needing an unlock key.

i have the actual 24K garmin US topo that i got from a buddy...works great on mapsource, but i cant transfer the topo to the GPS unit with out the unlock key...which i cnat find anywhere....Boooo
Old 07-16-2009, 10:30 AM   #13

Quote:
OP- What nuvi do you have??

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I needed to free up some space on the GPS drive so I deleted all those crappy languages I'll never use and some default images. I was able to load a Texas Topo and a good portion of the US city maps.

Quote:
i have the actual 24K garmin US topo that i got from a buddy...works great on mapsource, but i cant transfer the topo to the GPS unit with out the unlock key...which i cnat find anywhere....Boooo
Sorry, I can't be of more help with that one. I loaded the Ibiscus (sp?) one from the website and it works well.
Old 07-16-2009, 11:08 AM   #14
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I needed to free up some space on the GPS drive so I deleted all those crappy languages I'll never use and some default images. I was able to load a Texas Topo and a good portion of the US city maps.

Sorry, I can't be of more help with that one. I loaded the Ibiscus (sp?) one from the website and it works well.
Nice- Which city maps did you use?? I've got most of the gulf coast between Tallahassee and New Oreleans loaded up on mine...I'm still looking around for what else to load up!! And trying to see what the difference is...I haven't hit any major improvements...
Old 07-16-2009, 12:37 PM   #15

Quote:
Nice- Which city maps did you use?? I've got most of the gulf coast between Tallahassee and New Oreleans loaded up on mine...I'm still looking around for what else to load up!! And trying to see what the difference is...I haven't hit any major improvements...
Check your map settings. Sometimes maps will not overlay ontop of each other unless they have a transparent setting in their programming.

For example:The Topo map of Texas needs to have the Ibiscus map switched off for the contour lines to show. Also ensure that your settings allow for the highest amount of map detail. To do this, I (on my GPS) go to settings> Map> Map Info> and you can select/deselect the map to view.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:05 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmer View Post
STICKIE This Post in off roading and trails please !!!

Couldn't hurt right?
Old 07-19-2009, 07:43 PM   #18
Power Top

freaking awsome! the Ibiscus california TOPO overlay works well, seemed to be pretty accurate when playing with it today
Old 07-20-2009, 04:34 AM   #19
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Check your map settings. Sometimes maps will not overlay ontop of each other unless they have a transparent setting in their programming.

For example:The Topo map of Texas needs to have the Ibiscus map switched off for the contour lines to show. Also ensure that your settings allow for the highest amount of map detail. To do this, I (on my GPS) go to settings> Map> Map Info> and you can select/deselect the map to view.
Nice. I'm not sitting with my GPS (It's at home and I'm in NY) But I'll give it a shot when I get back!!
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 PM   #20

Quote:
freaking awsome! the Ibiscus california TOPO overlay works well, seemed to be pretty accurate when playing with it today

See.... I'm shocked more people haven't jumped on this. I'll just keep bumping it every week or so.