1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

*FREE* Topographical Maps For Garmin Nuvi GPS

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by Ghost96Romeo, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:03 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Ghost96Romeo [OP] What is the Search Tab for????

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness
    In this day and age I don't know many who would shy away from free stuff. If you are the owner (proud or not) of a Garmin Nuvi GPS the tips and links below will help download and install topographical or city map updates onto your GPS.

* First and foremost you have to determine if your computer has Garmin's Mapsource program. If you already do, then you're able to skip a few steps. If you don't you'll need to progress to the next step. If you are unsure whether you do or do not follow this pathway. --->Start Menu--->All Programs--->Look for a Garmin folder which should have the Mapsource icon. If you do not have either, then you will need to move to the next step.

- Step 1-
    You'll need to download Garmin's Training Center software. Cut and paste the following link: http://www8.garmin.com/support/collection.jsp?product=999-99999-04 You will need to down Garmin's Training Center software in order to download the Mapsource update which will allow you upload topo maps to your Garmin GPS.

-Step 2-
    Cut and paste this link to get the Mapsource update: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209(In the event you need or want additional information on how to get a free copy of Garmin's Mapsource program you can cut and paste this link. http://freegeographytools.com/2007/garmin-mapsource-for-free
    Now that you have installed Mapsource you are ready to start downloading maps to your computer and upload them to your Garmin GPS. As I eventually learned to do this is not overly difficult but If you have questions, here's some additional reading. To read more on downloading maps to your computer and uploading to your GPS cut and paste this link: http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/tutorials/how-to-load-.img-files-into-mapsource-with-mapsettoolkit/

-Step 3-
    Once you are ready to begin downloading maps just cut and paste the following link and select the state you wish to download. This also works for updating existing city maps.
    http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/
    Depending on the state you may have multiple options with which to choose. Choose the link for the map and click the download windows link. Doing so should trigger a pop up window asking if you want to run, save or cancel. I would recommend run and let it install.

-Step 4-
    - Once you have downloaded the map(s) you want open up the Garmin Mapsource program and in the upper left corner there should be a drop down box which will show the which maps you have on your computer. At this point, select which map from the drop down and it will display in the map area in the main part of the screen. Using your mouse, press the left button and drag it over the area of the map you want to highlight (there is a highlight button you need to push first). It should light up the grid a yellow color and the box on the left side of the screen will start populating with the various files which comprise the map area you selected.

My recommendation would be to do this for all of map area you wish to upload to your GPS. Once you have all the map files set that you want to send to your GPS click the button at the top to "Send to Device" and the process will begin to start uploading your newly acquired maps to your GPS.

Below are a few points I learned along the way that I will share:
    * I learned that you cannot update or individual topo map files as the new one will over write the previous file.
    * Another point I will make is that your GPS is somewhat limited in the amount of onboard memory it does have. I was able to upload 24k topo maps for TX and city map update and have a small amount of memory left. If you're decide to go hog wild and download numerous states or areas I would recommend getting an SD card with a few gigabytes of storage on it.

It's been a few days since I got everything situated on my Nuvi350 and so far so good. I've noticed a subtle difference on GPS with additional detail which was not there previously for bodies of water, elevation and so on. If you decide to take advantage of this, good luck and I hope you enjoy.

Waynebarkr likes this.
  2. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    Those are too many words for me right now...but I did pick out "Free," "Garmin Nüvi," and "the."

So I'm in. After a good night's rest, that is. Good find!

3. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    3" Pro-Comp Suspension Lift AAL Rear w/TSB, All-Pro Plate Bumper, Lightforce 240 Blitz lights, Lund Genesis Roll-top Bed cover, K&N Filters, Spidertrax Wheel spacers, Built-by-Me Rock Sliders, Jeep Tow-Hook, Black Leather seats, 48"Hi-Lift Jack mounted in the bed, Blacked out TRD Rims, BHLM, FLM..... and Awesomeness

I tried to be as detailed as possible with the instructions. It'll work out.

4. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    EquinsuOcha

EquinsuOcha Bourbon

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Ft Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    07 PreRunner
    AFE Drop-in filter, Wet Okole seat covers, Hifonics 6.5" components in front, MA Audio midbasses in rear, Kicker 8", RE Audio 2 channel for components, Elemental Designs bridged 2-channel for sub, CB, Devil Horns, Rancho QuickLift, Rancho RS9000XL rear shocks, Toytec AAL, stickers, things and stuff.
    I hope so! It sounds awesome

5. Jul 15, 2009 at 9:23 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    downloading a topo map as i type this...i have a garmin topo map ready to go but um...i dont have the ahem..unlock key

6. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:02 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab

I didn't run into any problems with needing an unlock key.

7. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:06 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail, 88 pickup, Tundra Platinum
    A few bolts are different.
    wonder if this will work on my kenwood with garmin...

Edit: ohh probably not since I cant press the "send to device button" in that program and have it appear on my 5120. IT would need to work through a thumb drive also.

8. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    I'm liking what I'm seeing so far...We'll see how it all works out. I'd LOVE topo for the area I wheel around...

=)

9. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:45 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    lol all 56ft above sea level that you are:D??

10. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:47 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Yeah...There is enuf variation for me use it. and the lakes and streams info would be good.

OP- What nuvi do you have??

11. Jul 16, 2009 at 7:51 AM
    Dark Knight

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    oh cool, last week when i was at the beach i saw my elevation at -4ft on ocean drive kinda made me say wtf....

12. Jul 16, 2009 at 8:02 AM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV

i have the actual 24K garmin US topo that i got from a buddy...works great on mapsource, but i cant transfer the topo to the GPS unit with out the unlock key...which i cnat find anywhere....Boooo

13. Jul 16, 2009 at 10:30 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab

I have a Garmin Nuvi 350. I needed to free up some space on the GPS drive so I deleted all those crappy languages I'll never use and some default images. I was able to load a Texas Topo and a good portion of the US city maps.

Sorry, I can't be of more help with that one. I loaded the Ibiscus (sp?) one from the website and it works well.

14. Jul 16, 2009 at 11:08 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Nice- Which city maps did you use?? I've got most of the gulf coast between Tallahassee and New Oreleans loaded up on mine...I'm still looking around for what else to load up!! And trying to see what the difference is...I haven't hit any major improvements...

15. Jul 16, 2009 at 12:37 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    Check your map settings. Sometimes maps will not overlay ontop of each other unless they have a transparent setting in their programming.

For example:The Topo map of Texas needs to have the Ibiscus map switched off for the contour lines to show. Also ensure that your settings allow for the highest amount of map detail. To do this, I (on my GPS) go to settings> Map> Map Info> and you can select/deselect the map to view.

16. Jul 18, 2009 at 11:42 AM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab
    No one else is taking advantage of this?

17. Jul 19, 2009 at 5:05 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab

Couldn't hurt right?

18. Jul 19, 2009 at 7:43 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    freaking awsome! the Ibiscus california TOPO overlay works well, seemed to be pretty accurate when playing with it today

19. Jul 20, 2009 at 4:34 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    Nice. I'm not sitting with my GPS (It's at home and I'm in NY) But I'll give it a shot when I get back!!

20. Jul 20, 2009 at 4:04 PM
    Ghost96Romeo

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Off-Road D-Cab

See.... I'm shocked more people haven't jumped on this. I'll just keep bumping it every week or so.

Products Discussed in

To Top