Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Windshield dots - Useful?

Old 07-23-2009, 01:36 PM   #1
ShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryan
ShtrMcGavin's Tacoma Gallery
Windshield dots - Useful?

For a long time have been curious what the purpose of those black dots on the windshield behind the rearview mirror do. I read somewhere they are called "frits" but still most people seem to think they are only cosmetic.
I have a valentine 1 radar detector that I am planning to hard wire in this weekend and would like to put it about the rear view mirror (see pictures, just a little farther to the right of where it currently is) this is because in its current position I cant put the sun visor all the way down but if I could just move it a little to the right where those dots are it would solve my problem and probably even look a little better.

However before I take a razor blade and remove those dots to make it so the detector will stick there I just wanted to make so Im not actually harming the car in some way to make it unsafe.
Has anyone removed these?
Attached Thumbnails
Windshield dots - Useful?-mirror1.jpg   Windshield dots - Useful?-mirror2.jpg  
Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #2
Living vicariously through mjp2
eordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shedeordonez is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ed
eordonez's Tacoma Gallery
i think they are for shading purposes??
Old 07-23-2009, 01:38 PM   #3
I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.
mws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shedmws4ua is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matt
mws4ua's Tacoma Gallery
I tried to take them off when I was thinking about moving my mirror. Good luck to you.

the only purpose they serve is to help shield your eyes from the sun when you look at your rear-view mirror. You have a visor right in front of you, but it doesn't cover the area above the mirror. For that reason, car makers have put those dots to keep the sun from blinding you if it happens to be coming in from that angle at the time you look in the mirror. There' no other purpose for it.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:39 PM   #4
MUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to allMUDFISH is a name known to all

MUDFISH's Tacoma Gallery
I always thought those were for the defroster... no clue really, I'd like to see a real answer as well...
Old 07-23-2009, 01:40 PM   #5
IndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to beholdIndigoTaco is a splendid one to behold
IndigoTaco's Tacoma Gallery
The radar detector won't stick behind them? Use a small piece of double sided velcro. That's the spot I wanna stick my EZPass, but I don't know if the sensors can read through the dots?
Old 07-23-2009, 01:43 PM   #6
ShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to beholdShtrMcGavin is a splendid one to behold

Name: Bryan
ShtrMcGavin's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoTaco View Post
The radar detector won't stick behind them? Use a small piece of double sided velcro. That's the spot I wanna stick my EZPass, but I don't know if the sensors can read through the dots?
It doesnt stick as well, and I dont think it would be as effective having to go through them...

From this and other things I have read most people seem to think they are only for shading purposes in which case I cant imagine they really do all that much... Im sure they will be though to get of but a razor blade and some goo-gone should make it do-able
Old 07-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #7
Living vicariously through myself
mjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmjp2 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Milton Juevos Portimous II
mjp2's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I've had no problems with my EZPass and I have it mounted flush up against the roofline behind the mirror right on top of the dots.
Old 07-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #8
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Those dots keep the glare off your rearview mirror.. and lets a little light in instead of that tint banner
Old 07-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #9
09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed09tacoLI is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: security forces
09tacoLI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
My EZ pass is in that sopt i dont have any problems with it. I didn't eeven think of it glad it works.
Old 03-02-2010, 07:57 PM   #11
toughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedtoughtaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army:
toughtaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjp2 View Post
I've had no problems with my EZPass and I have it mounted flush up against the roofline behind the mirror right on top of the dots.
The EZpass will work in your glove compartment or under the seat though. Your radar detector will definitely be affected by the dots, you want it to have a clear shot out the window. Just put it below the dots or try to rremove them, a razor should work.
Old 03-02-2010, 08:04 PM   #12
JackedTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Johnny
JackedTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 09tacoLI View Post
My EZ pass is in that sopt i dont have any problems with it. I didn't eeven think of it glad it works.

X2
Old 03-02-2010, 08:49 PM   #13
Banned
Lentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shedLentsnh is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Lentsnh's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by fletch aka View Post
Has anyone tried to remove these dots?
I probably would have if I didnt have my WS tint banner. Which I love!
Old 03-03-2010, 11:27 AM   #14
lizard1 is on a distinguished road
lizard1's Tacoma Gallery
Dots

DON'T MESS WITH THE DOTS!!! Aerodynamic coefficient is lessened markedly if the DOTS are rearranged/removed. If the DOTS are not arranged in a linear fashion or removed, floor mat and gas pedal instability will likely occur.

Warranty is affected if DOTS have been disturbed in any fashion. Consider yourself forewarned! DON'T MESS WITH THE DOTS!