1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiffer leaf springs

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JRice, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:19 PM
    JRice

JRice [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    New member here. I am sure this question has already been asked but I'll ask again. What can I do to prevent my truck from "sagging" in the rear when I haul a camper. My truck is a TRD Sport, dbl cab with tow package. The camper weight is around 2500 pounds, dry, tongue weight is 350 pounds. The whole rig (truck and dry camper with passenger weight, lite weight gear and 170 pound bed cap, 1/4 tank of gas weighs in at 8180.) I weighed the truck and camper at an RV storage facility on a certified scale this morning.
    I have been told there is a TSB on the leaf springs-a parts guy at a local dealer told me this, but they didn't know what the specifics were. I have already had them greased because of obnoxious creaking. I am having my truck serviced in the morning so I hopefully I will get more info then but I thought I would get a posting in before then. Sometimes better info comes from experienced owners. Also, does any one know if putting a higher hitch on will help with the sagging? What I mean by that is I have a 1 inch tall hitch. If I put a 3 or 4 inch tall hitch will that help or is the truck going to sag no matter what height of hitch is put on? Thanks!

2. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:26 PM
    Fluffymonkey

Fluffymonkey Token

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 Trd Sport DC, 07 DC sr5, 03 Prerunner
    2003: Stock 2007: Avid Offroad sliders, 30% front tint, bed mat, Truxedo low-pro qt tonneu cover, aero turbine 2525 muffler w/ 8'' tip, AR25 Resonator, 16x8 Dick Cepek DC-1 w/ 265/75 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, 2010 headlights, ome 884 coils with .5'' top plate spacer, OME sport front shocks, bilsten 5100s rear, 2'' aal, locking gas cap, LR ucas, Viper 2-way remote start, afe drop in filter, Rocky locking bike mounts, gear chest, scangauge, pop n lock tailgate lock 2013: most things transferred over from my 07, 5100s @ .85 + eibachs and Toytec tps for 3'' front lift, wheelers progressive aal w/ overload; compustar 2-way remote start; Antennex shorty antenna, pop n lock tailgate lock with programmable key, seat covers, Toyota's crappy all-weather floor mats (should have got Husky's or Weathertechs), TRD skid plate, led light pods mounted in front bumper valence w/ Eyourlife wireless harness and remote, led bed lights, light pods mounted in bed, Devil Horns emblem from Diaz Fabrications, rear facing pod lights in bed, under seat lights,
    You should definitely look into the TSB. They'll just add another leaf spring stiffening the ride in the rear up a bit. That should help with some of the sagging. Not sure about the hitch though.

3. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:33 PM
    Zombie Runner

Zombie Runner Are these black helicopters for me?

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Wichita Falls, TX
    Vehicle:
    2011 taco, sport 4x4
    oil change...
    ehh I dont know about the hitch but if your truck meets the requirments you can get the TSB, thats your best bet to look into, just search TSB on here and theres TONS of info about it.

If you dont qualify for it you could get a toytec add a leaf, it will lift about 1" to 1 1/2" inches and hold a little more weight.

also look into OME leaf springs. they are suppose to have better flex/travel and carry more weight than our stock springs. I think they are about 400 for the whole new leaf pack.
    check them out at wheelersoffroad.com

4. Jul 27, 2009 at 2:58 PM
    SamSter0077

SamSter0077 Happy Camper

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma 4x4 TRD OR
    OME 886 Coils, and Struts, Rear Toytec TSB AAL/ OME shock absorbers, Fog Lamp anytime mod, Voyager Brake Controller.
    TSB springs in the back will totally take care of the problem. Truck will be a little more firm going down the road when not towing. I did it on my 07, towing 3800lb with 450 tongue weight.. it totally took care of my issues.

-Sam

5. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:36 PM
    JRice

JRice [OP] New Member

Member:
    Denver
    Vehicle:
    06 TRD Sport
    Thanks everyone for your posts. Unfortunately I am one month and 300 miles over for being qualified for the TSB. I will just have to see how my truck does with the current springs and get the mods done at a later date. I just bought the camper and haven't made a trip up into the mountains yet. I will look into the other options though. Thanks again, I really appreciate you taking the time to respond.

6. Jul 27, 2009 at 3:45 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Give it a shot anyways...You are just outside and there is some "error" in the odo/speedo that might grace period you in.

If you don't ask them for it...They will never do it. Give it a shot and see what happens.

Products Discussed in

To Top