Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Greasing Drive Shaft U-Joints: A Short Writeup

Old 07-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #1
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Greasing Drive Shaft U-Joints: A Short Writeup

http://tacomaoffroad.com/threads/3-G...shaft-U-Joints
Old 07-28-2009, 07:27 AM   #2
NAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shedNAAC3TACO is one of the sharper tools in the shed
NAAC3TACO's Tacoma Gallery
Nice write up with clear photos. Thanks.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:38 AM   #3
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
This is on a 2nd gen right?

Do the 2nd gens have a slip yoke grease zerk? I didn't see one.....

The 1st gen trucks have one and from what I remember (vaquely), the slip yoke zerk was located in the center of the shaft (nearest the boot) underneath the ears.
Old 07-28-2009, 09:40 AM   #4
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janster View Post
This is on a 2nd gen right?

Do the 2nd gens have a slip yoke grease zerk? I didn't see one.....

The 1st gen trucks have one and from what I remember (vaquely), the slip yoke zerk was located in the center of the shaft (nearest the boot) underneath the ears.
Tis a 2nd gen truck. I didn't look for the slip yoke zerk. I might do that this evening, thanks! If I find it, I'll add it to the writeup.
Old 07-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
Tis a 2nd gen truck. I didn't look for the slip yoke zerk. I might do that this evening, thanks! If I find it, I'll add it to the writeup.
Very cool!! Thanks!!
I wasn't sure if they had one or not. Kinda weird if they didn't....
Old 10-17-2009, 01:35 PM   #7
Get Routy
The Mega is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
The Mega's Tacoma Gallery
Where will the old grease come out of? And do I just keep pumping in the new grease until I see it start coming out? Is it possible to overgrease? Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 01:51 PM   #8
DanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shedDanGer is one of the sharper tools in the shed
DanGer's Tacoma Gallery
very nice sir, mind if I link this up to my 30k write up?
Old 10-17-2009, 06:21 PM   #9
©1975
aaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to beholdaaronatl is a splendid one to behold

Name: Cap'n Crunch
aaronatl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mega View Post
Where will the old grease come out of? And do I just keep pumping in the new grease until I see it start coming out? Is it possible to overgrease? Thanks
if it has a zerk on the other side , recomended to remove one, and flush the old out. otherwise pump it until you see some creeping out
Old 10-17-2009, 06:29 PM   #10
jab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud ofjab08 has much to be proud of
jab08's Tacoma Gallery
Yea Im going to have to grease mine again. Its starting to squeal again, just noticed it this morning. But no problem just got to get under it and greaser up.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #11

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mega View Post
The grease will come out of the joint itself. It's not possible to over grease, but it you don't wipe off the stuff that oozes out, it will get flung around under your truck, not really that big of a deal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgerm View Post
very nice sir, mind if I link this up to my 30k write up?
Go for it
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronatl View Post
if it has a zerk on the other side , recomended to remove one, and flush the old out. otherwise pump it until you see some creeping out
Only 1 zerk per joint on these
Old 10-17-2009, 08:56 PM   #12
Terrier is on a distinguished road
Terrier's Tacoma Gallery
What kind of grease (not brand name) are you using?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:15 PM   #13

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
---
Old 10-17-2009, 09:20 PM   #14
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
I tried asking this on this thread: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...4-tacomas.html but no one responded so I'll try here.

Does anyone know if these zerk fittings are only on the 4x4 models, or on all models? I tried to find them on my truck but could not, do I need to take off those covers or what? thanks...and great write up by the way.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:23 PM   #15

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakoTruck View Post
I tried asking this on this thread but no one responded so I'll try here: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...4-tacomas.html

Does anyone know if these zerk fittings are only on the 4x4 models, or on all models? I tried to find them on my truck but could not, do I need to take off those covers or what? thanks...and great write up by the way.
They're on all trucks. Perhaps you're shaft is just rotated in a way that you can't see the zerks? Also, they are kinda dark looking until you wipe off the dirt that sticks to them.
Old 10-17-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
BakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shedBakoTruck is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Herbie Hancock
BakoTruck's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
They're on all trucks. Perhaps you're shaft is just rotated in a way that you can't see the zerks? Also, they are kinda dark looking until you wipe off the dirt that sticks to them.
Oh OK thanks, yeah I tried rotating the shaft about three times but could not see them. I'll try again and try to clean them up more and look longer. Thanks
Old 10-17-2009, 09:36 PM   #17
The dog did it...I swear!
OffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shedOffroadToy is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Location: High Desert... land of junipers, sage brush, and lava rock
OffroadToy's Tacoma Gallery
As far as I can tell my 07 Offroad has 5 zerks. The manual says for chassis lubrication to grease the front drive shaft thrust bushings, and the spiders and slip yokes common to the propeller shafts.
What and where are the "front drive shaft thrust bushings"? Are these the 2 zerks forward of the transfer case on the front drive shaft?
Old 10-17-2009, 09:40 PM   #18

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by OffroadToy View Post
As far as I can tell my 07 Offroad has 5 zerks. The manual says for chassis lubrication to grease the front drive shaft thrust bushings, and the spiders and slip yokes common to the propeller shafts.
What and where are the "front drive shaft thrust bushings"? Are these the 2 zerks forward of the transfer case on the front drive shaft?
Yes, there are 2 zerks on the front shaft.
Old 02-22-2010, 03:27 PM   #20
Happy Camper
SamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSamSter0077 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

SamSter0077's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the write up Drew! Timely as usual.