Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Odd noise from a 2007 Tacoma?

Old 12-18-2007, 02:37 PM   #1
foofighter is on a distinguished road
foofighter's Tacoma Gallery
Odd noise from a 2007 Tacoma?

Hello,
I have a 2007 Tacoma with an automatic transmission (double cab, long bed). Since new, it has made a growling sound from the drive train when driving at low RPM. It seems to do it worse when the car is cold. I thought maybe it was something that might go away as parts wore in, but 3,000 miles later it's still doing it. Has anyone had the same experience, or know what this might be? I'm just wondering if it's something that they all do? I haven't asked the dealer's opinion on it yet.
Thanks!
Old 12-18-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
dirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to beholddirthawker1313 is a splendid one to behold

dirthawker1313's Tacoma Gallery
i would take it to the dealer and have them check it out. its free so it cant hurt IMHO
Old 12-18-2007, 06:24 PM   #3
concrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shedconcrete jedi is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Shit deflector
concrete jedi's Tacoma Gallery
Dirthawker1313 is right, this sounds like a dealer issue, but to confirm that you are correct is to drive a new one somewhere else.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM   #4
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Is it a 'growl' or more like a 'whine'?

So - you know it's engine related (rpm related)?

Mine used to whine a bit but has quieted down since I did the first oil change using synthetic oil. Every once in a while I hear it...but not often.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Born to Ride
TheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shedTheMaster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chicky Baby
TheMaster's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, its best you create a service history on this issue just in case it comes to haunt you later. Later meaning, when your warranty expires.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:56 AM   #6
foofighter is on a distinguished road
foofighter's Tacoma Gallery
Yeah, it's a growl. It happens when the engine is at low RPM and the car is moving. I'm going to have it looked at, I was just wondering if it was something that others had experienced. Thanks for the input.
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #7
argm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant futureargm31i has a brilliant future
argm31i's Tacoma Gallery
I'd definitely take it to the dealer to create a paper trail for this one at least. At least that way, even if they don't have a fix, you'll know when it started (as will they) and they can maybe fit you under the warranty even if the noise doesn't cause catastrophic failure until after the warranty is out.