1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Intermitent Electrical Problem - Horn, Lights

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by DavidZ299, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Aug 4, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    DavidZ299

DavidZ299 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab SR5 Towing Pkg
    Well this is my first post since purchasing my Tacoma and becoming a member of this forum so here goes.

First, I have a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab with 6 ft. bed. Over the last two weeks I have had two bizzare incidents which I will classify as electrical Gremlins.

Two weeks ago as I was sitting in my Family Room (directly above my garage) I thought I heard a horn beep. It was very loud like it was close but I didn't think much about it since the windows were open. A couple of seconds later the horn started blaring continously and I realized it was my truck in the garage. Ran downstairs and sure enough the horn on my Tacoma was on continously. I stood there trying to figure out what to do and about a minute later it shut off.

Last night my wife was closing up the house and yelled up to me that the brake lights were on in my truck. Went down to the garage and indeed the two tail stop and the high stop lights were on. Stepped on the brake to see if they would turn off to no avail. Started up the truck and took it for a ride around the block thinking that maybe they would go off after a quick spin. Nope. Pulled the STOP fuse under the hood and also the TAIL fuse under the dash and the brake lights stayed on. They finally went off after I turned the key to bring up the electric (warning lights, etc.) and opened and shut the door. To be honest I'm not sure of the exact sequence but that seemed to do the trick.

I didn't get excited after the horn incident thinking it was a glitch. But after the tail light incident I'm wondering if I have some kind of electrical or computer problem.

I'm going to call the dealer about it but if the problem isn't actually occurring they'll probably think I'm nuts and I don't know if any diagnostics will identify a problem. I just thought I would try out my first post and see if anyone has had any similar type of problems or if anyone has any thoughts on the matter.

Any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

Dave

2. Aug 4, 2009 at 6:04 AM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    I would suggest documenting it by taking photos or video.

3. Aug 4, 2009 at 7:12 PM
    EnolaGaia

EnolaGaia Well-Known Member

Member:
    Midwest USA
    Vehicle:
    '01 & '04 S-Runners
    01 SR: Double Cab conversion, S/C, lowered.
    You definitely have one or more electrical glitches. The brake lights remaining on after pulling the STOP fuse suggests there's a short somewhere.

Do you have an alarm installed? If so - is it a dealer-installed accessory or some aftermarket unit?

4. Aug 5, 2009 at 5:55 AM
    DavidZ299

DavidZ299 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    09 Double Cab SR5 Towing Pkg
    A buddy of mine is an elictrical engineer who has been around vehicles for awhile. He aso suggested the security system or a short. I don't have a security system installed. Just the engine immobilizer that comes standard.

Talked to the dealer yesterday. Going to take it in Monday to see if they can diagnose anything. The rep did mention a brake switch problem that she found in some database but she's not sure what that would have to do with the horn. But I suppose if there is a bad switch that's causes some type of a ground problem then anything is possible.

Will post back after the trip to the dealer.

Thanks.

Products Discussed in

To Top