LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Oil capacity (4.0L V6)

Old 08-04-2009, 05:27 PM   #1
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
Oil capacity (4.0L V6)

Can someone clarify how much oil I should have put in my truck at the last oil change?

I'm using 5W30 (not that it affects capacity). My dealership tech says 5.6L, the owner's manual says 5.2L (with filter), and I could only find torque specs for the truck in the FSM.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:29 PM   #2
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
5.5 quarts. With a filter change.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:32 PM   #4
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigmooze View Post
Geez Chris, you're gonna make me convert that myself??? Hahaha, thanks man.

BTW: just for quick reference for others in the future, 5.5 qts = 5.2 L
LOL! Soorry....I dont do conversions.
Old 10-29-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
tiercel is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
tiercel's Tacoma Gallery
Did my 1st oil change today (previous 2 years came with the new truck purchase). I expected to have to put in the 5.5 qts with a filter change, and I THOUGHT all the oil was drained out, but it took only about 4 qts before hitting the FULL mark on the dipstick. I left the filler cap off while draining but hadn't yet removed the filter - maybe that needs to happen first? Thanks for any pointers!
Old 10-29-2013, 05:30 AM   #6
SpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shedSpacemanSpiff is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
SpacemanSpiff's Tacoma Gallery
You didn't mistakenly drain the tranny, did you? Also, the dipstick isn't worth a shit.
Old 10-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #7
tiercel is on a distinguished road
Name: Don
tiercel's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks for the reply. Definitely the crankcase not the tranny!

I was wondering about the dipstick. It always shows a higher level on one side of the blade than the other, apparently where it rubs against the tube as you slide it in and out. And you have to let things quiet down a few minutes after running the engine before trying to read it. But I was getting consistent readings on ONE side as I added oil so I think it can be accurate if you know how to use it. Have other people reported issues with this?
Old 10-30-2013, 03:47 AM   #9
bigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shedbigmooze is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Richard
bigmooze's Tacoma Gallery
I just drain the sump, replace the filter and pour in 5.2L of fresh oil. Some people, including myself, struggle with getting a decent reading on the dipstick. I always seem to drain out about 4.8 to 5L of old oil at each change and that's been the case since I bought the truck.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #10
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
I find it easier to pour some oil in and wait just a few min to let it drain down into the pan. I usually get the best reading that way. As far as tiercel only having to add 4 qts back there seems to be problem there. You did pull the skid plate to get to the oil pan? Definately need to figure that out.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:07 AM   #11
resident Apple Pie Monster
Justus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shedJustus is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Robert Paulson
Justus's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TACO TX View Post
As far as tiercel only having to add 4 qts back there seems to be problem there. You did pull the skid plate to get to the oil pan? Definately need to figure that out.

not needed unless hes got aftermarket skids

either way.

4.0 V6 should take 5.5 to a hair under 5.7 quarts.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #12
TACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shedTACO TX is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Kelly
TACO TX's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justus View Post
not needed unless hes got aftermarket skids

either way.

4.0 V6 should take 5.5 to a hair under 5.7 quarts.
My bad, us first gens have to pull the skids to change ours.