Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Radar detector hardwire - easy instructions.

Old 08-07-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough
lowcel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to lowcel
Radar detector hardwire - easy instructions.

Not sure if anyone is interested but I just hardwired the radar detector in my 09 Tacoma. I used the wires going to the rear view mirror. The green is the positive and the white/black is the ground. It only took a few minutes and it works perfect. It only comes on when the key is in the "on" position.

To get the clock assembly down there is only one screw in the sunglass holder compartment and then just pull down on the front of the assembly to release the two clips. It couldn't be easier.
Old 02-16-2010, 05:10 PM   #2
Tactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedTactical Tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Seth
Tactical Tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
I took lowcel's advice and did this today. Here's a quick little write up

1. Open Sunglass holder and locate the only screw there

2. Remove the screw

3. Remove the Maplight/Compass/Sunglass Holder assembly. this is best done by pulling down on the front of the assembly, closest to the windshield (thanks Goshawk, i did forget to say that

4. Locate the wire at the front of headliner and undo tape holding it in place and pull it through so you have better access to the wires

5. Splice your positive into the green wire and your neg/ground into the white/black wire (I recommend wire taps), then tuck your wires away

6. Put your Map light/Compass/Sunglass holder assembly back in and mount it with the screw you removed in step 2. As you can se in the pic below I also ran my radar wire underneath that black plastic wire cover for the rearview mirror

Old 02-16-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
lowcel will become famous soon enoughlowcel will become famous soon enough
lowcel's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to lowcel
Very nice write up, looks great. It's nice when something is so easy isn't it?
Old 02-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #5
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
You did an outstanding job on not only your idea to hardwire this way, but you explination as how to do it. For those out there that don't have the fancy powered mirror this still can be done by using the compass power. There will be a light green wire, a bit heavier gauge then the rest, that is the postive side key operated. The negetive wire will be a white with dark purple stripe. The ONLY thing I might add to the removal of the "Holder" assy. is once the screw is removed pry down on the front, towards windshield. The back portion of the holder is held on by plastic clips that could be broken if this side is pryed down on. Don't feel like you are going to break anything when you pry down on the front as the holding clips are somewhat stout. Again, great idea and now I don't have the clutter of a wire going to my cigarette lighter plus, I think the unit will be kept cooler running it just under the top windsheild tinting.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:19 PM   #7
QuickOK is on a distinguished road
Name: Daniel
QuickOK's Tacoma Gallery
Should be the same wiring on a 2010?
Old 03-13-2010, 06:55 AM   #8
Goshawk is on a distinguished road
Goshawk's Tacoma Gallery
I wired my 2006 this way and had a problem that may not have been due to the wiring. Everyhting worked fine for about two days then my compass/temp display went away. I was able to open up the display and found two electrical parts that had come unsoildered. After resoildering them back into place evrything worked again on the display. Not wanting to take a chance that I was overloading the circut some how I wired my detector to the curtousy lights instead and have had no problems whatsoever. Again I don't know if it was just a coincicedence or not. The only feature that you won't have is your detector coming on automatically when you start your rig. You will have to learn to turn your detector on and off manually.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:10 PM   #9
SwampThing is on a distinguished road

SwampThing's Tacoma Gallery
Just an updated FYI, the plug still exists on 2014 Base (with no autodim or compass mirror). Just wired in my Valentine.
Attached Thumbnails
Radar detector hardwire - easy instructions.-20140402_184339.jpg  
Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 PM   #10
rebelchem is on a distinguished road
Name: Kevin
rebelchem's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampThing View Post
Just an updated FYI, the plug still exists on 2014 Base (with no autodim or compass mirror). Just wired in my Valentine.
Very helpful, thank you.
Old 11-24-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
True Blonde O:)
LadyTaco is just really niceLadyTaco is just really niceLadyTaco is just really niceLadyTaco is just really niceLadyTaco is just really nice

Name: Heather
LadyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Please forgive this possible obvious question but ... hard wiring the radar to the powered mirror or compass/temp power only powers the radar on/off based on the ignition state...but I am wondering how to use the dimmer button on the mirror or the compass/temp toggle button to mute the radar, or is this possible when you piggy back off existing power?
Old 12-06-2014, 05:16 PM   #12
JA Texas Pride is on a distinguished road

Name: Jose
JA Texas Pride's Tacoma Gallery
Hi i hard wired my cobra to the power outlet with a fuse tap but when i turn of my truck the radar stays on
Old 12-06-2014, 05:17 PM   #13
JA Texas Pride is on a distinguished road

Name: Jose
JA Texas Pride's Tacoma Gallery
It stays on but when i had it pluged in with the cigarette lighter socket plug it would turn on and off with the ignition