1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

2009 Tacoma rear spring harsh ride TSB

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by gfiber, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Aug 9, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    gfiber

gfiber [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Black TRD Sport Access Cab
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I have a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport package. Just got it one week ago today. Was into the dealers yesterday, showed him the TSB thats floating arounf on this forum. Although my Truck qualify's under that TSB information since its a 2009 Toyota has not updated a TSB to include the 2009's. So until that happens they will not do the upgrade.

Mine has 3 springs which are the old number. Anyone get their 2009 retrofitted with the spring upgrade?

I hope to pick up a small travel trailer over the winter and want the truck to be capable of towing it. Also will be installing a Century cap in a few weeks.

Gary K8IZ

2. Aug 9, 2009 at 8:45 AM
    gfiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    TRD sport pkg, Towing Pkg, Ham radio installation, bed lights, front 32 inch LED Bar behind the grill.
    I ment "2009 Tacoma rear SPRING harsh ride TSB".

Went to the sprint car races last night so that must stil be on my mind.

Gary K8IZ

3. Aug 9, 2009 at 12:20 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    NO your truck doesn't qualify under the "information" cause your truck isn't an 2005-2008. It's coincidental that the part numbers and VIN segments match your 2009.

That being said- You don't need the TSB to go complain if you are having issues with a poor ride when the truck is loaded. Go in and make your complaint...be prepared to show them the problem and you should be able to work on it. You also need to call Toyota corporate to lodge the complaint with them so the TSB DOES get updated.

4. Aug 9, 2009 at 3:14 PM
    gfiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    I wonder if the 2009 rear springs have been changed from the 2008. If Toyota has so much trouble with the 2005-2008 they issued a TSB, makes me wonder why they would set themselves up for another round in 2009. Possibly the other 2 leaves are of some different spring rate even though the top leaf one has the " bad" spring part number on it. My 2009 is a VIN LU42N.

Might just be easier to purchase a helper spring from an off road or aftermarket shop if I need it too. I did read when the TSB was installed some still noticed considerable sag in the new springs when hauling.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary K8IZ

5. Aug 9, 2009 at 7:56 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    The springs are the same...A major change would most likely have a new part number so as not to get confused with the "old" springs. As far as why they haven't changed them- There are TONS of folks who buy these trucks and haven't had an issue with the ride or loading (mainly cause they don't and they like the cushy feel of the pre-TSB truck) It's cheaper for Yota to replace the few that people don't like insted of redoing the entire line.

That VIN is just a segment- It translates into "Long Bed Double Cab 4x4" or something like that...Toyota revised the current TSB because folks they thought didn't need it were asking for it.

As far as sagging afterwards....I haven't heard anthing reasonable....Some folks have put at or above the maximum capacity of the truck and had it sag pretty low...but you can't surprised be or hold that against the truck...

best of luck deciding what course of action suits you best...

6. Aug 10, 2009 at 5:01 PM
    gfiber

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Seattle, WA
    Vehicle:
    This is from Toyota today as I wrote and asked about that TSB.

"Toyota is currently in the process of launching an Owner Notification Program regarding the Load Carrying Capacity (Addendum) Label. The new Addendum Label is meant to better inform the owners of the correct weight of accessories added to their vehicle by Toyota.

We are currently researching to see if your Tacoma is involved in Owner Notification Program for the Addendum Label and, if so, what the towing capacity is for your Tacoma.

Based upon the information we have available the Addendum Label and TSB are not related. The concern with the Rear Spring Rough Ride TSB occurs when customers maximize the tow or payload capacity in their Tacoma or not slowing down when approaching a driveway or speed bump. "

So I have 35,000 miles to pursue this possible issue yet. I am concerned about the total load capacity and possible towing a trailer later. So an aftermarket helper spring
    will probably work just as well or aftermarket suspension.

Gary K8IZ

Products Discussed in

To Top