LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

2009 Tacoma rear spring harsh ride TSB

Old 08-09-2009, 08:43 AM   #1
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

Name: Gary
gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
2009 Tacoma rear spring harsh ride TSB

I have a 2009 Tacoma Double Cab TRD Sport package. Just got it one week ago today. Was into the dealers yesterday, showed him the TSB thats floating arounf on this forum. Although my Truck qualify's under that TSB information since its a 2009 Toyota has not updated a TSB to include the 2009's. So until that happens they will not do the upgrade.

Mine has 3 springs which are the old number. Anyone get their 2009 retrofitted with the spring upgrade?

I hope to pick up a small travel trailer over the winter and want the truck to be capable of towing it. Also will be installing a Century cap in a few weeks.

Gary K8IZ
Old 08-09-2009, 08:45 AM   #2
gfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to beholdgfiber is a splendid one to behold

gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I ment "2009 Tacoma rear SPRING harsh ride TSB".

Went to the sprint car races last night so that must stil be on my mind.

Gary K8IZ
Old 08-09-2009, 12:20 PM   #3
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
NO your truck doesn't qualify under the "information" cause your truck isn't an 2005-2008. It's coincidental that the part numbers and VIN segments match your 2009.

That being said- You don't need the TSB to go complain if you are having issues with a poor ride when the truck is loaded. Go in and make your complaint...be prepared to show them the problem and you should be able to work on it. You also need to call Toyota corporate to lodge the complaint with them so the TSB DOES get updated.
Old 08-09-2009, 03:14 PM   #4

gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
I wonder if the 2009 rear springs have been changed from the 2008. If Toyota has so much trouble with the 2005-2008 they issued a TSB, makes me wonder why they would set themselves up for another round in 2009. Possibly the other 2 leaves are of some different spring rate even though the top leaf one has the " bad" spring part number on it. My 2009 is a VIN LU42N.

Might just be easier to purchase a helper spring from an off road or aftermarket shop if I need it too. I did read when the TSB was installed some still noticed considerable sag in the new springs when hauling.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary K8IZ
Old 08-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #5
abides.
Brunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shedBrunes is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Coast Guard: LT- CG MH-65C/D Driver- CGAS NOLA
Name: Mark
Brunes's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to Brunes
Quote:
Originally Posted by gfiber View Post
I wonder if the 2009 rear springs have been changed from the 2008. If Toyota has so much trouble with the 2005-2008 they issued a TSB, makes me wonder why they would set themselves up for another round in 2009. Possibly the other 2 leaves are of some different spring rate even though the top leaf one has the " bad" spring part number on it. My 2009 is a VIN LU42N.

Might just be easier to purchase a helper spring from an off road or aftermarket shop if I need it too. I did read when the TSB was installed some still noticed considerable sag in the new springs when hauling.

Thanks for the reply.

Gary K8IZ
The springs are the same...A major change would most likely have a new part number so as not to get confused with the "old" springs. As far as why they haven't changed them- There are TONS of folks who buy these trucks and haven't had an issue with the ride or loading (mainly cause they don't and they like the cushy feel of the pre-TSB truck) It's cheaper for Yota to replace the few that people don't like insted of redoing the entire line.

That VIN is just a segment- It translates into "Long Bed Double Cab 4x4" or something like that...Toyota revised the current TSB because folks they thought didn't need it were asking for it.

As far as sagging afterwards....I haven't heard anthing reasonable....Some folks have put at or above the maximum capacity of the truck and had it sag pretty low...but you can't surprised be or hold that against the truck...

best of luck deciding what course of action suits you best...
Old 08-10-2009, 05:01 PM   #6

gfiber's Tacoma Gallery
This is from Toyota today as I wrote and asked about that TSB.

"Toyota is currently in the process of launching an Owner Notification Program regarding the Load Carrying Capacity (Addendum) Label. The new Addendum Label is meant to better inform the owners of the correct weight of accessories added to their vehicle by Toyota.

We are currently researching to see if your Tacoma is involved in Owner Notification Program for the Addendum Label and, if so, what the towing capacity is for your Tacoma.

Based upon the information we have available the Addendum Label and TSB are not related. The concern with the Rear Spring Rough Ride TSB occurs when customers maximize the tow or payload capacity in their Tacoma or not slowing down when approaching a driveway or speed bump. "

So I have 35,000 miles to pursue this possible issue yet. I am concerned about the total load capacity and possible towing a trailer later. So an aftermarket helper spring
will probably work just as well or aftermarket suspension.

Gary K8IZ