Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

No High beams... need help

Old 08-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
No High beams... need help

Guys, I have a 1994 pick-up. High beams work if you flash the switch but not in the on position...they just go out. I've replace head light relay, the light switch and still nothing. Any ideas and where on line can I find a wiring diagram?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
:POOPCORN:
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
Name: Ben
98tacoma27's Tacoma Gallery
Yep, one second.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:42 PM   #3
98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed98tacoma27 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Marines:
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/index.html For a 93 but should be the same. I had the same issue with my 93. Replaced the relay and nothing. Turned out to be the switch inside the column. The contacts were corroded. I just took a small knife and scrapped it clean. Worked perfect ever since.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
MyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shedMyTaco is one of the sharper tools in the shed
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98tacoma27 View Post
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/index.html For a 93 but should be the same. I had the same issue with my 93. Replaced the relay and nothing. Turned out to be the switch inside the column. The contacts were corroded. I just took a small knife and scrapped it clean. Worked perfect ever since.
Thanks for the link. I replace the column switch and still nothing. Is there anything else in the column i'm missing?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:47 PM   #5

Marines:
It's been a while (10 years) since I did that. I cannot remember.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #6

Marines:
I do see a dimmer switch the highs go through on the elec diagram. That could be it.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:48 PM   #7
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
It's been a while (10 years) since I did that. I cannot remember.
No problem thanks again.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
I do see a dimmer switch the highs go through on the elec diagram. That could be it.
I did see that. Ya think thats the dimmer knob on the dash for the dash lights cause thats the only dimmer i know of?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:51 PM   #9

Marines:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTaco View Post
Thanks for the link. I replace the column switch and still nothing. Is there anything else in the column i'm missing?
You replaced the one that is in the column? Not the switch on the end of the turn signal.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:10 PM   #10
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
You replaced the one that is in the column? Not the switch on the end of the turn signal.
I replaced the whole combination switch which included the turn signal and wiper switch. This mysterious dimmer switch....i dont think my 94 has one?
Old 08-11-2009, 06:33 AM   #11

Marines:
The dimmer switch is the one that is at the base of the turn switch (page BE-18). It is the switch that you activate to flash highs or go from low-high.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:30 AM   #12
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
The dimmer switch is the one that is at the base of the turn switch (page BE-18). It is the switch that you activate to flash highs or go from low-high.
Yeah, I replaced that already....I can flash high beams and the blue indicator light comes on but throw it in high beam mode and they go out....I'm at a loss.
Old 08-11-2009, 07:34 AM   #13

Marines:
Was it a new dimmer switch? Because the highs and lows are the same circuit until you get to the dimmer switch according to this http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/body.../4lighting.pdf
Old 08-11-2009, 07:35 AM   #14
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Yeah, I replaced that already....I can flash high beams and the blue indicator light comes on but throw it in high beam mode and they go out....I'm at a loss.
A hypothesis:
If it's not the switch, then maybe it's the power. When you pull back on the stick to flash your high beams the low beams stay on. I don't know how the lights are wired, but it's possible that your high beams are being power by the low beam circuitry. When you put the stick forward to keep your brights on, the power to the low beams is cut. You could easily test with a continuity tester, just disconnect the battery first.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:47 AM   #15
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Was it a new dimmer switch? Because the highs and lows are the same circuit until you get to the dimmer switch according to this http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/1993/body.../4lighting.pdf
No it was off another truck. I hate to buy another new part and have it not work as you probably know you cant return electrical parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew02a View Post
A hypothesis:
If it's not the switch, then maybe it's the power. When you pull back on the stick to flash your high beams the low beams stay on. I don't know how the lights are wired, but it's possible that your high beams are being power by the low beam circuitry. When you put the stick forward to keep your brights on, the power to the low beams is cut. You could easily test with a continuity tester, just disconnect the battery first.
Thanks for that explanation...guess I'll start probing!
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #16
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
No it was off another truck. I hate to buy another new part and have it not work as you probably know you cant return electrical parts.
Unless there's an ECV/ computer for the lights, just use a continuity tester and trace the circuit until you find the break.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:51 AM   #17

Marines:
Well, that switch could also be bad. the contacts corrode fairly easy. I would suggest disamntling the switch and looking.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #18

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Well, that switch could also be bad. the contacts corrode fairly easy. I would suggest disamntling the switch and looking.
You can also check the switch easily, again, with a continuity tester.

Multimeters are pretty cheep and very useful
Old 08-11-2009, 10:17 AM   #19
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I'll try and get to it today. I'll post if and when I figure it out. Thanks again for all the help.
Old 08-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #20
MyTaco's Tacoma Gallery
Turned out it was the switch...resistance was high. Strange that the other switch I tried did it too. Replaced it and all is well. Thanks again guys for your help.