1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Coast in Neutral or Not?

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by JasonY, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Aug 12, 2009 at 10:30 PM
    JasonY

JasonY [OP] Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Austin, Texas
    Vehicle:
    09 Access Cab, Prerunner, SR5, Alloys,
    Found this on the "Fuelly.com" tips section:

"To Coast in Neutral or Not...

Coasting to a stop in neutral with a modern manual (and in some instances automatic) transmission might not actually save you as much gas as keeping it in gear. Many modern engine management systems sense deceleration and negative load while the car is in gear and cut off fuel from the injectors, allowing the turning drive shaft to keep the engine going. Shifting into neutral while decelerating means the system has to keep the engine running with gas."

Does anyone know if this applies to the manual Tacoma 4cyl? I'm in the habit of putting my foot on the clutch and sneaking up on a red light instead of braking at the last second. I've always heard that, since this idles the engine way down (900rpm on my tacoma) it saves gas. This seems to say that it won't.

I can't imagine it being good for the engine to be essentially pushstarting itself every time you let off the gas in gear, but what do I know?:confused:

2. Aug 13, 2009 at 6:11 AM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    All Tacoma engines cut the fuel when coasting in gear.

3. Aug 13, 2009 at 4:46 PM
    snoope

snoope Well-Known Member

Member:
    Winter Haven Florida
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra Limited 4x4
    Get caught using "Georgia Overdrive" with some companies and it can lead to automatic "firing"......If it would "help" in anyway the Factories would "build it in"....

We rely too much on that foot brake now,take away the driveline resistance and you might understand why they build "run away" ramps for long downhills;):eek::eek:

Snoope back quiet

4. Aug 14, 2009 at 6:28 AM
    Tacoyota

Tacoyota senile member

Member:
    North of Cali, South of Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 4wd
    4.56 gears, rear trutrac,DT header, 235/85r16 Duratracs, 2nd filter pulled, inter.wipers, Cruise control, Factory alum. whls/winter tires(2nd set), Afe pro Dry-S , Dumbo eared flaps cut down.
    when i did the cruise control mod and coasted in gear i felt a minor change in the engine, going down hill in gear, i believe it was injectors not adding fuel, this might support the idea of mpg better in gear

5. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:40 AM
    MGRS

MGRS Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '20 Tundra OR
    Why do the RPM's stay up when coasting? When taken out of gear, mine will stay around 1.3-1.5 until after I come to a stop. 6spd V6

6. Aug 16, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    sooner07

sooner07 1/2 man 1/2 amazing

Member:
    First Name:
    A A Ron
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    Debadged 2008 Rugged Trail
    Toytec ultimate lift kit, light racing UCAs, ARB bumper and full skid plates underneath. Looking into redoing the suspension and maybe repainting the ol' Taco.
    The momentum of the vehicle is assisting in the turning of the crank while you are coasting. If you take it out of gear, the momentum of the vehicle is not transmitted to the crank shaft, and it is the pistons that have to fire to keep it moving.

Products Discussed in

To Top