Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

3.4L 5VZ 1st Gen Oil Change Guide

Old 11-06-2009, 01:52 PM   #21
cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack cmack
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Yep. Chris knows the secrets.
Old 11-12-2009, 06:43 PM   #22
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
what does it mean 29 ft lbs? that always gets me.. O_O
Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM   #23
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremetaco2 View Post
what does it mean 29 ft lbs? that always gets me.. O_O
It means, set the torque wrench to "29 lbs-ft", and tighten the nut/bolt.
Old 11-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #24
supremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of lightsupremetaco2 is a glorious beacon of light
supremetaco2's Tacoma Gallery
haha thanks..
Old 12-07-2009, 03:45 PM   #25
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

Name: Lee
s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
isnt there a cleaner way of getting the filter off without spilling the oil all over the freakin place? i just bought mine and when i changed the oil it went freakin every where. all over the skid plates and everything. it was dripping for a week. i thought i developed a new leak at first.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:46 PM   #26
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Really? Using the method stated above, my filter comes off clean and easy.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:50 PM   #27
s2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to beholds2kvtak is a splendid one to behold

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
yeah and thats teh only way i could figure out how to get to the filter to start with without this thread. idk why it make such a mess. i think i may have read something about a check valve in certain filters....maybe....idk....maybe im hilucinating. ive never heard of something like that before until i got on here so maybe im not.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:53 PM   #28
BigGreenTaco is on a distinguished road

Name: Chris
BigGreenTaco's Tacoma Gallery
I have the same problem as s2k, not sure if we have different skids or what but mine has no place for the oil to drip from the filter other than on the skid then goes everywhere..
Old 12-07-2009, 04:06 PM   #29
Old & Forgetful
Janster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shedJanster is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jandy
Janster's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by s2kvtak View Post
isnt there a cleaner way of getting the filter off without spilling the oil all over the freakin place? i just bought mine and when i changed the oil it went freakin every where. all over the skid plates and everything. it was dripping for a week. i thought i developed a new leak at first.
Use a 2-litre plastic bottle and cut the bottom off (about 4" from the bottom). Wedge that up in there underneath the filter & the lip. Unscrew the filter and let the oil run into the bottle. I would also let the oil filter drop in there. It is somewhat difficult snaking the bottle (with oil in it) out...but it's much better than having oil everywhere.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:05 PM   #30

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
ill remember that for next time. im up for another change
Old 12-27-2009, 07:05 PM   #31
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
had my cleanest oil change ever yesterday! only a oil spot about the size of my palm on the garage floor. i was so proud of myself
Old 12-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #32
cmack's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by moto932 View Post
had my cleanest oil change ever yesterday! only a oil spot about the size of my pame on the garage floor. i was so proud of myself
Old 12-27-2009, 08:18 PM   #33

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
yeah mine was a success too. mine would have been completely puddless except when i pulled the drain plug i didnt have the pan over far enough and it hit the edge and some went on the floor, but as far as the oil filter goes i didnt miss a drop thanks to the 2 liter bottle trick! worked great but it is kinda tricky to get it back out. just takes some finagleing
Old 12-28-2009, 01:39 PM   #34
What's the matter, Colonel Sandurz? CHICKEN?
moto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shedmoto932 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Eric
moto932's Tacoma Gallery
they oil i spilled was from the filter like always. i will try the 2-liter bottle trick next time though.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #35

s2kvtak's Tacoma Gallery
yeah i cut mine kind short so that it didnt go all the way up to the filter itself. and just mess with it till you get it positioned where you want it. i cut mine right at 4"
Old 03-05-2010, 09:25 PM   #36
Spitfire12 will become famous soon enough
Spitfire12's Tacoma Gallery
Thanks! Now I know how do it! Filter pretty hard to take it off, because My arm not long enough to reach turn off.
Old 07-11-2010, 12:39 PM   #37
twfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shedtwfsa is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Army: Engineer's
Name: Tom
twfsa's Tacoma Gallery
I am going to try the filter removal this way, after the engine is warmed up, remove the wheel well flap, loosen the filter a tad, take a sharp tapered punch marked with a piece of masking tape that when driven into the filter at the tape mark, would produce a 3/8's hole , pierce the filter to the masking tape mark at 12 O'clock, insert a piece of 3/8's plastic clear hose,carefully loosen filter to 6 O'clock, insert hose into a plastic bottle, re-pierce filter at 12 O'clock for a vent and see what happens. I think you could practice the first hole punch on a empty can so to get a idea if the hose will fit the filter with minimal leakage.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:50 PM   #38
TacomaNJ is on a distinguished road
TacomaNJ's Tacoma Gallery
Just changed the oil on my 2001 Tacoma for the first time since I got it which was last week !

Quick question, I am almost 100% positive that my bolt in the drain plug DID NOT have a washer/gasket with it...How essential is this to making sure that I do not have an oil leak?

It has been 2 days, and I have not seen any leaks and I have also check my oil multiple times and so far so good. Just want to double check.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:52 PM   #39
braaap
steve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shedsteve o 77 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Steven
steve o 77's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaNJ View Post
Just changed the oil on my 2001 Tacoma for the first time since I got it which was last week !

Quick question, I am almost 100% positive that my bolt in the drain plug DID NOT have a washer/gasket with it...How essential is this to making sure that I do not have an oil leak?

It has been 2 days, and I have not seen any leaks and I have also check my oil multiple times and so far so good. Just want to double check.
if there's no leak, don't worry about it. Just put one on next time you change the oil.
Old 08-22-2010, 02:28 AM   #40
Don't give up here just yet
2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed2TRunner is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chris
2TRunner's Tacoma Gallery
My $.02...

The filter change can also be done while standing and facing the engine. You'll need a strap wrench.

I wouldn't suggest this if the vehicle is really hot. With engine hot is the only way I've every done it, must be nice to have a cool engine on this one.

On the drivers side, look down in there and find that alternator. Reach your hand down in there and behind the alternator. Should be able to feel the oil filter.

Position strap wrench so it turns lefty loosy, slide that baby down in there and over the filter, give her a few turns and remove the tool. Should be able to spin the filter off with your hand. Tight fit.

Take a look at this link.
http://www.lowmileageengines.com/eng...6/100_0034.JPG

It obviously does not have any of the serp belt drive/access attached but you can see what I"m talking about. And it's a lot harder with the engine in the truck.

Look at the bottom of the engine. Find the lower coolant intake pipe and directly behind it is the oil filter. A little hard to see b/c its a black filter and it's hidden by that bracket (alt bracket) but should give a pretty good visual.