LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Old 03-11-2008, 09:20 PM   #201
Lifetime Member
CtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shedCtryBoyInMT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

CtryBoyInMT's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
yeah, someday I`m going to get that receiver mount winch........
Kind of off topic, Okay way off topic...
But I'd make sure a receiver mounted winch is going to do what you need it to do. I had a frt receiver winch on my 97 Taco, and after a few years, it was all tweaked and bent up. Both the winch mount and the frt receiver mounted to the truck. They aren't designed for much more than 25° off center pulling and especially not while pulling you out of some good mud hole. And the 5 times I really needed it mounted on the rear, 4 of those times it was either I was being stupid and getting stuck by myself or it was so buried in mud mounted to the front, 2 feet under water, that it was not even possible to remount it. Oh well, just my past experiences!
Old 03-11-2008, 09:47 PM   #202
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
this may not be free unless you are me but I took the electric fan off a for taurus 3.8L V6 it is huge has its own shroud and moves tons-o-air picked up 2.7mpg which is really funny since my truck is a 2.7L ...these fans have the capability of running two speeds but I just hooked up on power one ground for the full flow as soon as truck is running (not just key turned on)
Old 03-12-2008, 03:15 PM   #203
jungleman is on a distinguished road
jungleman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtryBoyInMT View Post
Kind of off topic, Okay way off topic...
But I'd make sure a receiver mounted winch is going to do what you need it to do. I had a frt receiver winch on my 97 Taco, and after a few years, it was all tweaked and bent up. Both the winch mount and the frt receiver mounted to the truck. They aren't designed for much more than 25° off center pulling and especially not while pulling you out of some good mud hole. And the 5 times I really needed it mounted on the rear, 4 of those times it was either I was being stupid and getting stuck by myself or it was so buried in mud mounted to the front, 2 feet under water, that it was not even possible to remount it. Oh well, just my past experiences!
I could see where that would be a problem......
Guess it`s just like anything else, if it breaks, beef it up or figure out a way to make it stronger
Old 03-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #204
TWINSIES!
BulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shedBulletToothTony is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: You can call me Susan if it makes you happy.
BulletToothTony's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jungleman View Post
Hmmmmmmmm
pin switch activated engine compartment light
awsome
nice work

next up! after the Volant ram air scoop that is

thanks
Hey let me know how the scoop works out i need to spend more money on my truck lol
Old 03-13-2008, 04:57 PM   #205
350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed350TacoZilla is one of the sharper tools in the shed

350TacoZilla's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to 350TacoZilla
this isnt really a mod and its really not the season for this here but.... ever time winter weather starts I spray the seals around my doors with pam cooking spray...keeps seals from freezing to door and tearing
Old 03-28-2008, 09:07 AM   #206
My hair is all natural
lsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shedlsocoee is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Hotdog
lsocoee's Tacoma Gallery
Rear View Mirror "Mod"

Was this one covered yet? This is more for the newbs. The mirror has two pivots that you can use to lift the mirror farther out of your sight line. Rotate the one next to the windshield first and then the one on the mirror.

If this still isn't enough, you can also rotate the mirror 180 degrees so that the "night-vision" tab is at the top. You will lose the ability to flip on the night vision if you rotate the tab to the top; but you should gain another 1/2" of clearance.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap/free mods-mirror-hack.jpg  
Old 04-05-2008, 09:58 PM   #207
6taco is on a distinguished road
6taco's Tacoma Gallery
what did you wire these lights to and also how did you mount them?
Old 04-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #209
6taco's Tacoma Gallery
the led in cup holder lights?
Old 04-06-2008, 11:17 AM   #210
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Ok, can't help you with that. I didn't do that mod. You'd have to PM the person that came up with it, or hope they post up some more info.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:08 PM   #211
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6taco View Post
what did you wire these lights to and also how did you mount them?
I used 3mm LEDs that were between 3000 and 5000 brightness. I removed the cup holder and drilled 2 holes in each cup holder side so that the bulbs would shine in an "X" patern across each holder. 4 holes total. the bulbs are mounted on the back side of the cup holder so that you cannot see the bulbs that easily when lit. the holes were drilled the exact size of the bulb and then I glued them in place. I connected the red to black leads between each bulb so that they were in series. then I tool the one red wire and one black wire and "T" connected them to the LED that illuminates the gear numbers in the auto transmition shifter. I actually put a saddle switch in line so that I could turn them off if I wanted to.
Old 04-06-2008, 07:29 PM   #212
6taco's Tacoma Gallery
Thank you for the help.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:32 PM   #213
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by budisit View Post
Yea...no kidding. Why don't they make the truck the way the customer wants it in the first place ??? Like how much would it cost to have the auto down power window also do auto up ?? I have other cars that do that. BUT...only on the drivers window. I guess it would cost an extra 4 dollars to have it do that. I'd pay it. I mean whats an extra 4 bucks after spending 30 thousand and change ?? Go figer.
I was wondering the same thing, but though they didn't for safety reasons, like if someone where to accidentally hit the switch with their head hanging out the window. I would actually like to have both windows have the auto down though.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:35 AM   #214
80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold

80 atoyot's Tacoma Gallery
Cigarette light always on

Cigarette light always on and the other p0wer outlet.

Can anyone tell me where the relay is located?

Then at least I can see it and decide whether to mod it or jumper it.

Thanks.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:17 PM   #215
dbbd1 is on a distinguished road

dbbd1's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 atoyot View Post

Thanks.
It is one of the relays on the back side of your interior fuse panel. A major PITA to get at without dropping the panel out.
Old 04-13-2008, 09:40 PM   #216
kai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shedkai38` is one of the sharper tools in the shed

kai38`'s Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80 atoyot View Post

Thanks.
Heres a write up I posted on another forum on installing a third 12v outlet w/ constant power. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96108
Old 04-14-2008, 04:33 PM   #217
80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold80 atoyot is a splendid one to behold

80 atoyot's Tacoma Gallery
[quote=kai38`;79721]Heres a write up I posted on another forum on installing a third 12v outlet w/ constant power. http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96108[/quote]

Thanks I took your advice and installed a new wire rather than moding the existing relay. Bought a splitter from the local supply and VIOLA !!!

One of the pics shows the outlets in the glove box, I also lined the box with some felt to keep things quiet in there and not getting scratched.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/aud...html#post80137
Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM   #218
My other ride has sails
Roland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shedRoland is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Army: Combat Arms Instructor, HQ Detachment, RING
Roland's Tacoma Gallery
DIY OEM intermittent wiper stalk install

This is a very easy install considering the dealer says it can’t be done. When they put my VIN
in the computer they get informed there is NO intermittent wiper stalk available for my truck. The secret is to
order the wrong part. The stalk doesn’t really care it’s not in an X-runner.

Update 1/14/09:
There is a new part number for 2009 which caused questions about if this works on the new trucks. With the help of the fantastic TW community we finally have the answer.

The "old" 05-08 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-04141 works on the 09 truck.

The new 09 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-02610 works but the intermittent speeds are backward from what would be expected.

Until Toyota corrects the new part I would suggest ordering the 05-08 part if it's still available.

Order Toyota part # 84652-04141 “Windshield Wiper Switch” I found it for 97.57 from 1stToyotaParts.com.

You’ll need:
1 medium sized (#2?) Phillips head screwdriver
1 small straight head screwdriver.
Optional:
Something to pry with that won’t mar the plastic steering column covering which I didn’t need. A plastic knife has been suggested elsewhere.
1 beer

There are 2 screws to be removed on the front of the steering column. Turn the steering wheel right to remove the left screw. Then left to remove the right screw. I needed the ignition key to turn the wheel far enough.

The steering column cover is now held together by a tab on each side. Press on the bottom half under the tab (see picture for location) and push/pry down. Repeat on the other side. With the tabs free wiggling and prying will now get the bottom piece off.

Adjust the wheel to it’s lowest position. Near the back of the top half is a double sided tab. With the wheel lowered I was able to reach my hand under there and squeeze both sides of the tab to release it.

Unplug the two harnesses from the old wiper switch.

There is a STRONG tab holding the wiper switch in place. Use the standard head screwdriver to press it. With the tab depressed the wiper switch will slide out to the right with a gentle pull.

Push the new wiper switch in place (You will hear the tab click home.) and plug the wires in.
As a sanity check at this point I started the truck and tested the switch. It worked perfectly!

Reassemble the steering column. Note that I forgot all about the beer….

Here's the finished Mod in all it's OEM glory.

Start to finish the whole project took 30 minutes including setting up and shooting 26 pictures. (It took longer to edit the pictures.) If I ever do it again I estimate it will take about 10 minutes, or 15 if I remember to drink the beer.
Old 04-28-2008, 12:37 PM   #220
Betty White Edition Heep ZJ
jonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shedjonny is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: John
jonny's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsds View Post
Shoot, I wish I had an Offroad instead of the Sport to do the locker mod, abs, VSC stuff detailed earlier.

Here is a mod originally from TRDtoy79.
It is one of my favorites because it's free and clever (only for 2008):

How much are you willing to pay for me to tell you the code that turns the seat belt chime off?

No, I'm not kidding. I have the code and tested it on my '08 Taco.

No takers??? Fine then! Hope you enjoy listening to that endless, annoying seat belt chime.

OK, I give. Here it is. BTW you guys are no fun :

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened
3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.
4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

SWEET!!
you are awesome man!!!

Products Discussed in this Thread