This is a very easy install considering the dealer says it can’t be done. When they put my VIN
in the computer they get informed there is NO intermittent wiper stalk available for my truck. The secret is to
order the wrong part. The stalk doesn’t really care it’s not in an X-runner.
There is a new part number for 2009 which caused questions about if this works on the new trucks. With the help of the fantastic TW community we finally have the answer.
The "old" 05-08 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-04141 works on the 09 truck.
The new 09 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-02610 works but the intermittent speeds are backward from what would be expected.
Until Toyota corrects the new part I would suggest ordering the 05-08 part if it's still available.
Order Toyota part # 84652-04141 “Windshield Wiper Switch” I found it for 97.57 from 1stToyotaParts.com.
1 medium sized (#2?) Phillips head screwdriver
1 small straight head screwdriver.
Something to pry with that won’t mar the plastic steering column covering which I didn’t need. A plastic knife has been suggested elsewhere.
There are 2 screws to be removed on the front of the steering column. Turn the steering wheel right to remove the left screw. Then left to remove the right screw. I needed the ignition key to turn the wheel far enough.
The steering column cover is now held together by a tab on each side. Press on the bottom half under the tab (see picture for location) and push/pry down. Repeat on the other side. With the tabs free wiggling and prying will now get the bottom piece off.
Adjust the wheel to it’s lowest position. Near the back of the top half is a double sided tab. With the wheel lowered I was able to reach my hand under there and squeeze both sides of the tab to release it.
Unplug the two harnesses from the old wiper switch.
There is a STRONG tab holding the wiper switch in place. Use the standard head screwdriver to press it. With the tab depressed the wiper switch will slide out to the right with a gentle pull.
Push the new wiper switch in place (You will hear the tab click home.) and plug the wires in.
As a sanity check at this point I started the truck and tested the switch. It worked perfectly!
Reassemble the steering column. Note that I forgot all about the beer….
Here's the finished Mod in all it's OEM glory.
Start to finish the whole project took 30 minutes including setting up and shooting 26 pictures. (It took longer to edit the pictures.) If I ever do it again I estimate it will take about 10 minutes, or 15 if I remember to drink the beer.