Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2007, 07:26 PM   #41
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
I did some research and looks like there's a way to light up the 4x4 switch. Looks like it'll cost around $70 + Shipping.

You need one of these: DIAL-ILLUM - Illuminated 4x4 Dial/Switch fits 2005+ Tacoma 4x4 Parts and Accessories

And then goto:
My 2005 Tacoma Site

You should be able to skip most of the steps in the site above, and go right to wiring up the 2 wires to light up the new dial.

The tacoma site above says to remove the dials to remove the 4wd switch and climate controls. I'm not sure about the 4wd switch, but the climate controls pop out very easily with a butter knife, plastic scraper, etc. Anything with a thin blade that won't scratch the plastic. I've removed mine several times, and there's no need to mess with pulling the dials off.

Looks fairly straight forward:
  1. Buy the kit from TRDParts4U (includes illuminated dial and 2 wires to insert into your original 4wd switch harness to contact the power/ground pins for the lights)
  2. swap switches
  3. plug the two wires in
  4. splice into the 2 wires on climate control for powering those lights
You can either solder them to the plug like he did, or use quick splices.

What it should look like when done:

More information here:
Illuminated 4x4 switch - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

GREAT! thanks of the post.. I'm going to have to save this to favorites for future mod... Hate the thought of dropping money an something that should have been that way from the beginning.

I want to do your bedlight mod first. GREAT POST!!!!! Are you happy with the white or do you wish you did a different color?
Old 12-30-2007, 07:32 PM   #42
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Turning off ABS, VSC, TRAC

How many of you hate the ABS system in snow or while offroading on soft/loose terrain? I've had the ABS kick in so many times and almost make things worse on snow and gravel that I almost wish I didn't have it... Or at least had a way to turn it off...

Thanks to a redneck working electrical magic with the USAF in Germany we have a solution! Thanks to Tacogrande on TN again!
LOCKER MOD WRITEUP PAGE 2, VSC/ABS/TRAC/GOVERNOR MOD PAGE 3!

This will only cost a you a new switch, enough wire to run from the ABS ECU to your switch, some zip ties, and some time.

To Clarify some points here: Do NOT cut the wire! Splice into it for the ground! I used the ABS ECU (Passenger side, under hood) wire after talking to Tacogrande to clarify somethings (instead of the 4wd ECU wire I originally posted). I had cut the wires. Once they were reconnected, then grounded it worked.

Here is the wire: (I cut it by mistake instead of using a quick splice, so ignore the shrink tape. It's around the blue w/yellow striped wire.)

I sent the red wire for grounding it (thinner one, thicker one is for my 12v bed outlet) over to the driver side and through the grommet below. I zip tied it along the firewall to keep from touching the engine or exhaust.

I used a blank switch next to the steering wheel and had to trim the hole slightly for my switch to fit. I used a switch with a cover to prevent accidentally turning the ABS off.

The blank was cut down with a dremel so that it was just a face plate to keep the switch from pushing too far into the dash. The hole is tight enough to firmly hold the switch. Just used a pocket knife to trim a little plastic until the switch would push in (took a bit of effort, but you want a tight fit).

Note: This makes it THINK the locker is on so the locker and ABS lights are on. I tested it and it works. I don't have VSC (Vehicle Stability Control) or TRAC (Traction Control), but I'm told they are also turned off. Makes sense since all those get turned off when the locker is on, and this makes the truck think the locker is on (without triggering the actuator).

More information below
Traction Control (ATRAC hack) writeup! - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Classic example of why you would want the ABS off..
My ABS sucks & the locker rocks! - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Edit:
This has been more or less completely rewritten since I did it, got confused myself, had to clarify a few things with Tacogrande, and test to verify it works.

aka ABS kill switch (for added search key words)

You can also splice in at the 4WD ECU on Pin 20. This might help people with different colored wires.

4WD ECU harness:

4WD ECU above the glove box:

Attached Thumbnails
Cheap/free mods-21094190026_medium.jpg   Cheap/free mods-21094190025_medium.jpg  
Old 12-30-2007, 07:41 PM   #43
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristopherl View Post
GREAT! thanks of the post.. I'm going to have to save this to favorites for future mod... Hate the thought of dropping money an something that should have been that way from the beginning.

I want to do your bedlight mod first. GREAT POST!!!!! Are you happy with the white or do you wish you did a different color?

You're welcome! And I hear you on compensating for Toyota's, uhhhh, "lack of foresight" to be polite...

I love the white! They are very bright, light is evenly distributed (you can see an almost perfect cutoff on the ground with those lights), and work quite well for me. I like being able to turn them on before I get to the truck to see what I'm stepping on first. I thought other colors (red, blue, orange) might not be as bright. And I've tried using colored lights to read things before and the colors mess with your head. Hard to read a map with a red dome light! I figured the bed might become a night workbench while camping or helping someone so I didn't want another color to interfere with things.

Besides, white and amber lights are the only colors legal in NY besides red brake lights, so if I run with them on for whatever reason the cops can't do shit.
Old 12-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #44
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

Quote:
You're welcome! And I hear you on compensating for Toyota's, uhhhh, "lack of foresight" to be polite...

I love the white! They are very bright, light is evenly distributed (you can see an almost perfect cutoff on the ground with those lights), and work quite well for me. I like being able to turn them on before I get to the truck to see what I'm stepping on first. I thought other colors (red, blue, orange) might not be as bright. And I've tried using colored lights to read things before and the colors mess with your head. Hard to read a map with a red dome light! I figured the bed might become a night workbench while camping or helping someone so I didn't want another color to interfere with things.

Besides, white and amber lights are the only colors legal in NY besides red brake lights, so if I run with them on for whatever reason the cops can't do shit.

Yeah, I thought the same thing about the colors not being as bright. Any issues with the vendor?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:00 PM   #45
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Yeah, I thought the same thing about the colors not being as bright. Any issues with the vendor?
Nope! Paid through google checkout, they showed up a week later in their box, box in a thick cardboard tube for shipping. Was a bit like an eBay purchase. Automated emails sent when order received, processed, shipped with tracking number. I got emails from both VMInnovations and Google Checkout.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:07 PM   #46

Quote:
Nope! Paid through google checkout, they showed up a week later in their box, box in a thick cardboard tube for shipping. Was a bit like an eBay purchase. Automated emails sent when order received, processed, shipped with tracking number. I got emails from both VMInnovations and Google Checkout.
Can't remember... did you get the ones with the remotes?
Old 12-30-2007, 08:37 PM   #47
dsds is on a distinguished road
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
disable seat belt chime

Shoot, I wish I had an Offroad instead of the Sport to do the locker mod, abs, VSC stuff detailed earlier.

Here is a mod originally from TRDtoy79.
It is one of my favorites because it's free and clever (only for 2008):

How much are you willing to pay for me to tell you the code that turns the seat belt chime off?

No, I'm not kidding. I have the code and tested it on my '08 Taco.

No takers??? Fine then! Hope you enjoy listening to that endless, annoying seat belt chime.

OK, I give. Here it is. BTW you guys are no fun :

1) Turn the Car 'ON', but do not start the engine (Leave your foot off the brake). Cycle your trip reset knob until it reads ODO. Turn the ignition back off. Wait a couple of seconds.
2) Make sure seat belt is not fastened
3) Turn the ignition back on, do not start the car (Leave you foot off the break) As soon as you see everything light up, press and hold the trip reset knob and do a long 12 second count.
4) Keep your finger on the trip reset knob. Fasten your seat belt, as soon as you fasten your seat belt, you should see the ODO display go from XXXX miles to "b-on". At that time take your finger off the trip reset knob and press it again. It should cycle to "b-off". You should be all set and turn the ignition off and unfasten your seat belt.

SWEET!!
Old 12-30-2007, 08:44 PM   #48
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Can't remember... did you get the ones with the remotes?
Yes! Two remotes. Which is 1 more than the first kit I found for around $89 so I went with the vminnovations' kit. Cheaper and 2 remotes! So I have one on my key, and one on the spare "valet" key in case something happens.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #49

Quote:
Yes! Two remotes. Which is 1 more than the first kit I found for around $89 so I went with the vminnovations' kit. Cheaper and 2 remotes! So I have one on my key, and one on the spare "valet" key in case something happens.
Cool! thanks for the info. AGAIN great Thread!!
Old 12-30-2007, 11:16 PM   #50
Johnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to allJohnson8537 is a name known to all

Johnson8537's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Cool! thanks for the info. AGAIN great Thread!!
Can't belive that no one has posted this yet... especially with all the tailgate stuff. anyway I had one on my last truck and plan on getting one soon for the tacoma...

EZ-Down... 69.99

http://www.ezdown.com/home.php

I tried to email the company to see if we could get a group buy rate (wholesale price.) but the email came back... I will do more work if there is any interest?

anyone want to try to get a group buy going???
Old 12-31-2007, 05:47 AM   #51
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnson8537 View Post
Can't belive that no one has posted this yet... especially with all the tailgate stuff. anyway I had one on my last truck and plan on getting one soon for the tacoma...

EZ-Down... 69.99

http://www.ezdown.com/home.php

I tried to email the company to see if we could get a group buy rate (wholesale price.) but the email came back... I will do more work if there is any interest?

anyone want to try to get a group buy going???
Honestly, I had forgotten about it. But then, it was posted on TN, several people bought it, and it didn't work for everyone. As in, it worked perfectly fine for some people, and others it jammed/rubbed/had to be modified to work. I don't feel comfortable recommending it.

Edit:EZDown tailgate strut available for '05+ Tacomas - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Negative posts start around #55 as people actually get it installed and see how it really works.
Old 12-31-2007, 06:02 AM   #52
JKarp is on a distinguished road

JKarp's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsds View Post
How much are you willing to pay for me to tell you the code that turns the seat belt chime off?
You sir, are a frigging SAINT!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-31-2007, 06:51 AM   #53
Devout Atheist

Just added a table of contents to my first post to make it easier for people to skip to the mod(s) they want to do.
Old 12-31-2007, 08:08 AM   #54
Devout Atheist

Rear Differential Breather Relocation

The front breather is up under the hood next to the battery so it won't suck water into the front differential and transfer case. Where is the rear one? Still on the pumpkin....

This mod moves it to higher ground so if you do water crossings you're less likely to suck water into the differential and ruin the oil.

Parts needed:
  • Breather Plug (part #90930-03136)
  • Union fitting (part #90404-51319)
  • Around 6ft of house (fuel line works well, I got some white plastic hose from a home improvement store very cheap)
  • 2 hose clamps
  • zip ties
The breather and union can be ordered from any dealership's parts department, and will cost <$6 IIRC.

Jackson's Rear Diff Breather

Good video explaining why this should be done:
Diff Breathers for 4x4
Old 12-31-2007, 08:27 AM   #55
Devout Atheist

Map Lights on with Dome Light

This mod makes the map lights come on with you dome light and fade out the same way. It only requires a little bit of wire, shrink tube, crimp connectors and a diode.

Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation - View Single Post - Double Cab Map Light mod (New Method)

Since TN can't seem to go 30 days without going off line, here's another link.

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95608
Old 12-31-2007, 03:56 PM   #56
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
more cheap mods...

I read in a forum to drill holes in the ends of the bed rails and put in bolts to keep your tie downs from being taken.

One that's taken for granted now is the tailgate hose clamp mod. That's a great one.

Oh, and another is dropping in a dowel cut to length to keep the back window from being opened.

Happy New Year!!
Old 12-31-2007, 04:06 PM   #57
Devout Atheist

Quote:
I read in a forum to drill holes in the ends of the bed rails and put in bolts to keep your tie downs from being taken.

One that's taken for granted now is the tailgate hose clamp mod. That's a great one.

Oh, and another is dropping in a dowel cut to length to keep the back window from being opened.

Happy New Year!!

How does that save the plastic cleats from being stolen? I never slide mine out the end of the track.... You just twist the knob enough to pull them out and rotate 90* and they come out. How else out you get them on the front rail?
Old 12-31-2007, 04:14 PM   #58
dsds's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
How does that save the plastic cleats from being stolen? I never slide mine out the end of the track.... You just twist the knob enough to pull them out and rotate 90* and they come out. How else out you get them on the front rail?
Oops... I guess that's too cheap a mod. I haven't done it myself and I guess there is no need to do it now!! Where is that smiley with an L on the forehead??? How about I attempt to make it up with another cheap one: Leave your ball and hitch in so if you get rear ended, they get more damage than the truck.
Old 12-31-2007, 04:20 PM   #59
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Oops... I guess that's too cheap a mod. I haven't done it myself and I guess there is no need to do it now!! Where is that smiley with an L on the forehead??? How about I attempt to make it up with another cheap one: Leave your ball and hitch in so if you get rear ended, they get more damage than the truck.
Only way to lock those cleats down is locking bed cover or put them in the cab.

I already leave my hitch in as a "tailgating deterrent".
Old 12-31-2007, 05:34 PM   #60
Devout Atheist

Updated ABS Shut off mod

I just did the ABS shut off mod myself today. It was more than a little confusing for me so I consulted the guy that came up with it and figured out how do to it. I tested it several times tonight and it works so I completely redid the original write up and added pictures of my own to explain it better.

If you have any questions, let me know. If you want to wait for me to respond, that's fine! I check my email every day, and it might save you some of the extra work I went through trying to get it right! Since I had the wire and a 2 prong switch this was a free mod for me. I thought I needed a different switch (3-prong) by looking at some of the other right ups so I took a trip to autozone only to find out I just didn't wire it up right. Switches like the one I used at around $10. I keep wire, shrink tube, and crimp connects on hand since I end up doing a lot of stuff like this. If you don't, then it will cost more.

Products Discussed in this Thread