Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-05-2008, 09:06 PM   #101
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Mounting a 285 spare tire

This mod lets you fit a larger spare tire if you run 285's and want a full sized spare in the stock location.

Cut off these tabs to get enough clearance for a 285 (32.8") tire. Probably gives enough clearance for most 33" tires as well.

Have these pieces left over:

Looks like this when done. Just paint to prevent rust and the the spare in place!

How to put a 285 tire as your spare - Arizona Toyz
Old 01-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #102
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Fog Light Indicator

Thanks to slvrAZtaco on TN.

This is a bit involved from the looks, but should be cheap since you only need to buy a resistor and 2 LED's. The rest is manual labor to mod the fog light switch to change colors when the fogs are on or off.

So, you want to know when your fogs are on? - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation
Old 01-09-2008, 05:32 PM   #104
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
headlights

Not sure if this is covered somewhere. But i was wondering if there was a way to keep the low beams on while the highbeams are on. Of course this is assuming that there is different bulbs for each. It seems like there might be. But i didnt really look. And is this legal.
Old 01-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #105
AKA: Jake the Wolf
kristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant futurekristopherl has a brilliant future

kristopherl's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by stratton View Post
Not sure if this is covered somewhere. But i was wondering if there was a way to keep the low beams on while the highbeams are on. Of course this is assuming that there is different bulbs for each. It seems like there might be. But i didnt really look. And is this legal.
your high and low beams are all in one bulb. I am sure there is a way of rewiring it to make both come on but I am betting the bulb will get too hot to handle it and burn one out.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:48 PM   #106
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Yeah, I'm not sure either... It's a dual filament bulb so you might be able to toggle a relay to turn on the other filament. Not sure if that would cause the hi's to turn on with the low's though. Have to look at it, have a beer, and think about!

Then there's the point kristopherl makes. It might heat up too much and burn the bulbs or melt the housing. At around $200/each I don't want to risk melting the housings! I've melted fog lights before by running more powerful bulbs.
Old 01-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #107
stratton will become famous soon enough

stratton's Tacoma Gallery
lights

eeeehhhhhhh come on and just try that mod for me tiger. Let me know if it works. haha
Old 01-10-2008, 08:41 AM   #108
Devout Atheist

Quote:
eeeehhhhhhh come on and just try that mod for me tiger. Let me know if it works. haha
I don't think I will be trying it! I ran the idea by one of the master modders over on TN and he was of the same opinion as me. Running both filaments will probably generate too much heat.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:40 AM   #109
Demoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud ofDemoncleaner has much to be proud of

Demoncleaner's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Thanks to Demoncleaner on TN for coming up with this.
Homemade Bed extender - Toyota Forums :: Toyota Nation

Looks like he just measured out the dimensions for some plywood, used a couple hooks to attach to the tailgate latch, and hooked into the D-rings. I believe he has swapped the rope connecting to the D-rings with something stronger.

Also, planning on putting a metal lip over the top to prevent lumber from damaging it. I will try to get some better pics when he stops by to work on that lip.
PT thanks for posting. The pics pretty much show you the deal. But suppose I should put the full details down. 2 years of abuse, and its still working great. I hang on wall when not in use. 5ft Shortbed owners will have 79 inches/ 6.6 ft of space. Regular bed gets 92 inches/7.7 ft.

The wood is solid rather than Plywood. Thickness is 5/8", the height is 16 inches (good match for bed depth), the plank was 8ft long and cut it into pieces.

Measurements: two 17 3/4 inch long pieces for the tailgate sides, and 53 inches long for tailgate back.

Parts: Twelve 1 1/2 in wood screws(six on each side), four 6 inch 'L' braces.
To secure, two gate latches (gravity held through the tailgate latches), two 'O'end wood screws, and two double ended snap clips (not in pics, the clip with string is replaced) to secure the unit the the Bed 'D' rings.

Paint, add refelectors, and put six little rubber pads on the bottom so it doesn't vibrate on the tailgate.

Total cost was about $50. About $200 cheaper than the tube ones and holds more without pipes or skipoles slipping through.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:28 PM   #111
668: The Neighbor of the Beast
Toy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shedToy4Life is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Chad
Toy4Life's Tacoma Gallery
Here's a link for a rechargeable work light. http://www.amazon.com/26-LED-Worklig...107673&sr=8-20
It's not a mod, but I picked one of these up at Sams Club for $20. It's flippin awesome! I use it for everything. It's bright as hell and holds the charge for a long time. Great for working on the truck. There are some photos in my gallery of it in use, though the camera flash doesn't allow you to see what that worklight can illuminate.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:27 PM   #113
Carolina Alliance: Lead, follow, or get the hell outta my way
tacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shedtacomaman06 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Will
tacomaman06's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
like i said before pt.....kickass thread bro!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 06:20 AM   #114
Devout Atheist

Thanks. I changed the TOC link. Would be kinda cool if the mods section had something, but not much. A lift install and that's it. Nothing under electrical mods...
Old 01-21-2008, 08:12 AM   #115
Remi is on a distinguished road

Remi's Tacoma Gallery
Hood lift mod?

Quote:
Yup! That's a great one too! Makes the truck hood easier to open than my car hood.
OK, I've gone through all 4 pages of the thread and can't find instructions...

Where did y'all find them?

BTW, I ordered a kit from C2C 2 weeks ago and haven't heard or seen it. Are they still in biz or have a bad rep??
Old 01-21-2008, 12:31 PM   #116
dan_o_89_rs is on a distinguished road
dan_o_89_rs's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post

BTW, I ordered a kit from C2C 2 weeks ago and haven't heard or seen it. Are they still in biz or have a bad rep??
if you are talking about install instructions for the hoodstruts, these are from Redline Tuning's website...
install instructions for 95-04: http://redlinetuning.com/manuals/QL-...A_9504-101.pdf
install instructions for 05+: http://redlinetuning.com/manuals/QL-...OMA_05+101.pdf
Old 01-21-2008, 04:21 PM   #117
Devout Atheist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remi View Post

My hood struts came with great directions so I just followed them. Since it's been almost 2 years since I installed them I don't have the instructions anymore.
Old 01-23-2008, 07:57 AM   #118
Devout Atheist

Cabin Air Filter

Demoncleaner reminded me of this one. I've never done it, so here's what he told me:

Quote:
Lots of ways to do it, but I buy 4 packs of 16x20x1 air filters for my garage heater and cut one of them into 8x 7.75x 1 pieces. (get 4 cabin filters out of one) Cardboard frame still there on two sides, and duct tape a frame around the other 2 sides where you cut. Slide into the blower compartment (it's behind the glovebox, pull on sides to slip it down, then open two clips on blower comparment. When putting the damper back on, it goes on the lower eyelet hole).

I figure these come out to .25 a filter instead of $25-30 from the dealer. Note there was is no filter there on 05's.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:58 AM   #119
Devout Atheist

Cigarette light always on

I haven't done this mod myself. I tend to forget things, and since I'm not driving the truck everyday I don't want to drain the battery. Done that too many times in the past, but I suppose it would be nice sometimes.

Found at http://www.tacomaterritory.com/forum...ad.php?t=10988

The .doc file is too big to upload here.

Edit:
Thanks to Marvin!

Download Constant ON instructions as an MS Word File (.doc). - 477 KB

Download Constant ON instructions as an Open Office File (.odt). 508 KB

Download Constant ON instructions in Rich Text Format (.rtf). - 17,428 KB
Old 02-17-2008, 09:47 AM   #120
marvin02 is on a distinguished road

marvin02's Tacoma Gallery
Access Cab Rear Seat Cover - Seat Down Position

I made a carpet for the storage area behind the front seats when the rear seats are folded flat in an access cab.

Before:

After:

Click a thumbnail to view bigger picture.

I paid $1.19 per foot at a local Menard's. I measured and cut it to length and made the cut-out for the center by the seat-belts. I put it in the cab with the seats folded down and used a wax pencil to mark the places to cut for the wire brackets that stick up and cut the slots with a razor knife. It slides back under the lip of the seat backs about 1/2 inch. Between the cut outs for the brackets and putting it under the seat back it is very secure. Obviously you can get it in any color you can find a carpet runner in and at the price you can replace it if it gets nasty.

Keeps things from sliding around and protects the back of the seat. If you need the seats up you can roll it up and throw it in the bed.

Products Discussed in this Thread