Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #1441
yota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shedyota243 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: E.J.
yota243's Tacoma Gallery
I bout a kit of raptor liner of ebay (4 1 liter bottles, hardener, and spray gun) for $99. this was just 2 of the bottles and got me 2 coats everywhere but the floor of the bed in which i did 3 coats. it was super easy just washed, sanded, wiped down with mineral spirits, taped off, mixed (bottles a 3/4 full u fill the rest with hardener) and shot.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap/free mods-0701131927.jpg   Cheap/free mods-0701131927a.jpg   Cheap/free mods-0701131927b.jpg   Cheap/free mods-0701131928.jpg  
Old 07-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #1442
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by yota243 View Post
I bout a kit of raptor liner of ebay (4 1 liter bottles, hardener, and spray gun) for $99. this was just 2 of the bottles and got me 2 coats everywhere but the floor of the bed in which i did 3 coats. it was super easy just washed, sanded, wiped down with mineral spirits, taped off, mixed (bottles a 3/4 full u fill the rest with hardener) and shot.
Are those stake pockets we have hidden under those plastic covers?
Old 07-18-2013, 11:13 AM   #1443
JCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shedJCruiser is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Navy: Over your paygrade
Name: Master Chief (E-9) USN (Ret)
JCruiser's Tacoma Gallery
Looks like a pretty cheap interior lighting mod.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/000...riorLights.pdf

Offers templates and wiring tips. I am sure radio shack sells most all of what this kit takes for interior accent wiring.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #1444
Danimal69361 is on a distinguished road
Name: Dan
Danimal69361's Tacoma Gallery
Help! I did this and now my truck wont start!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #1445
Oregon Edition
RAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shedRAPR is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Ross
RAPR's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCruiser View Post
Looks like a pretty cheap interior lighting mod.

http://www.trdsparks.com/install/000...riorLights.pdf

Offers templates and wiring tips. I am sure radio shack sells most all of what this kit takes for interior accent wiring.
I did all my interior lighting and bedlights for about $40. It's fun and easy as hell.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM   #1446
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danimal69361 View Post
ummmm.... did what mod exactly?

Also, check all your fuses.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:50 AM   #1447
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
according to his profile it was the 12 volt bed plug always hot mod.
Old 07-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #1448
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaunt596 View Post
I would hope that's not it... Dead battery is a simple fix.
Old 07-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #1449
Gaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shedGaunt596 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Matthew
Gaunt596's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
true, but people have suggested evrything but
Old 07-21-2013, 12:24 PM   #1450
Quote:
According to HIS^ profile he is a #$%@ little kid whose daddy bought him a truck. Sorry my problem bores you so much. It was a big deal to me, cause I couldn't just give up and have my daddy take it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
It was immediately not starting, so it didn't have time to run down the battery. Besides, checked that. Along with a lot of other ACTUAL diagnosis. Turns out the ignition switch got pinched and broke. Kind of a freak accident. But I did chase it down so...

Quote:
true, but people have suggested evrything but
Glad you tried helping. D-bag.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:56 PM   #1451
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
According to HIS^ profile he is a #$%@ little kid whose daddy bought him a truck. Sorry my problem bores you so much. It was a big deal to me, cause I couldn't just give up and have my daddy take it in.

Glad you tried helping. D-bag.
Dude... you posted "I did this mod and my truck won't start" in a thread that contains dozens of mods without giving us ANY information on what you did.

Chill out... NOBODY could help you with what you told us.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:34 PM   #1453
backyard mechanic
aw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Firefighter: Lyndhurst Truck Co.1
Name: Andrew
aw10tacoma's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland View Post
This is a very easy install considering the dealer says it can’t be done. When they put my VIN
in the computer they get informed there is NO intermittent wiper stalk available for my truck. The secret is to
order the wrong part. The stalk doesn’t really care it’s not in an X-runner.

Update 1/14/09:
There is a new part number for 2009 which caused questions about if this works on the new trucks. With the help of the fantastic TW community we finally have the answer.

The "old" 05-08 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-04141 works on the 09 truck.

The new 09 intermittent wiper stalk part# 84652-02610 works but the intermittent speeds are backward from what would be expected.

Until Toyota corrects the new part I would suggest ordering the 05-08 part if it's still available.

Order Toyota part # 84652-04141 “Windshield Wiper Switch” I found it for 97.57 from 1stToyotaParts.com.

You’ll need:
1 medium sized (#2?) Phillips head screwdriver
1 small straight head screwdriver.
Optional:
Something to pry with that won’t mar the plastic steering column covering which I didn’t need. A plastic knife has been suggested elsewhere.
1 beer

There are 2 screws to be removed on the front of the steering column. Turn the steering wheel right to remove the left screw. Then left to remove the right screw. I needed the ignition key to turn the wheel far enough.

The steering column cover is now held together by a tab on each side. Press on the bottom half under the tab (see picture for location) and push/pry down. Repeat on the other side. With the tabs free wiggling and prying will now get the bottom piece off.

Adjust the wheel to it’s lowest position. Near the back of the top half is a double sided tab. With the wheel lowered I was able to reach my hand under there and squeeze both sides of the tab to release it.

Unplug the two harnesses from the old wiper switch.

There is a STRONG tab holding the wiper switch in place. Use the standard head screwdriver to press it. With the tab depressed the wiper switch will slide out to the right with a gentle pull.

Push the new wiper switch in place (You will hear the tab click home.) and plug the wires in.
As a sanity check at this point I started the truck and tested the switch. It worked perfectly!

Reassemble the steering column. Note that I forgot all about the beer….

Here's the finished Mod in all it's OEM glory.

Start to finish the whole project took 30 minutes including setting up and shooting 26 pictures. (It took longer to edit the pictures.) If I ever do it again I estimate it will take about 10 minutes, or 15 if I remember to drink the beer.
anybody have this mod for a 2011 im going crazy with using this damn 2 speed fast and faster wipers
Old 07-21-2013, 02:50 PM   #1454
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by aw10tacoma View Post
anybody have this mod for a 2011 im going crazy with using this damn 2 speed fast and faster wipers
Same mod will work, just order the wiper stalk from a 2011 DC SR5.
The stalk from the '08 will actually work. The only difference between the 3 available stalks is words vs graphics, and the direction you turn the knob to increase the delay/speed. On some, the wider bar is increased delay, while on others it is faster speed (less delay).

BTW: While you're in there, unplug the 2-wire connector just under the ignition switch next to the stalk connector and you can leave your key in the ignition with the door open for tunes or while getting gas without the annoying warning tone.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:28 PM   #1455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich91710 View Post
Dude... you posted "I did this mod and my truck won't start" in a thread that contains dozens of mods without giving us ANY information on what you did.

Chill out... NOBODY could help you with what you told us.
I realized that after I posted. That is why I went somewhere else to post it. Got some good help, too. Pierced tiger had a good point. Not mad at him.

Quote:
But this guy obviously went through enough work to find out the problem, and makes smart ass remarks about the situation.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM   #1456
backyard mechanic
aw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shedaw10tacoma is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Quote:
The stalk from the '08 will actually work. The only difference between the 3 available stalks is words vs graphics, and the direction you turn the knob to increase the delay/speed. On some, the wider bar is increased delay, while on others it is faster speed (less delay).

BTW: While you're in there, unplug the 2-wire connector just under the ignition switch next to the stalk connector and you can leave your key in the ignition with the door open for tunes or while getting gas without the annoying warning tone.

thanks for the help
Old 07-21-2013, 03:49 PM   #1457
backyard mechanic

Quote:

forgot to ask... for this will i need a relay or anything beside the stick?
Old 07-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #1458

Quote:
forgot to ask... for this will i need a relay or anything beside the stick?
Nope.
All of the "brains" of the delay is in the stalk.
It literally is a plug and play.

I installed the stalk and cruise control in my '08 in the parking lot after work with my multi-tool in about 15 minutes.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #1459
backyard mechanic

Quote:
Nope.
All of the "brains" of the delay is in the stalk.
It literally is a plug and play.

I installed the stalk and cruise control in my '08 in the parking lot after work with my multi-tool in about 15 minutes.
alright thanks... this website has been so much help... i went to my toyota shop to get the tsb done on my leaf springs for my 11 with the harsh ride and they gave me the hardest time to get it done... after that i asked while it was in the shop if i could pay them to install the intermitted wiper and they said no it would have had to be done in the factory... and asked for the daytime running lights they also said had to be done in the factory
Old 07-21-2013, 04:25 PM   #1460

Quote:
alright thanks... this website has been so much help... i went to my toyota shop to get the tsb done on my leaf springs for my 11 with the harsh ride and they gave me the hardest time to get it done... after that i asked while it was in the shop if i could pay them to install the intermitted wiper and they said no it would have had to be done in the factory... and asked for the daytime running lights they also said had to be done in the factory
Ya. That's the typical response from the dealer.
SOME trucks need a wire run from the column to the ECU to use Cruise Control, and manual trucks need the clutch safety.

But people hear all kind of things about the wiper motors needing replacement, and even ECU replacement.

Likewise, DRL is a simple harness and flasher replacement.

Products Discussed in this Thread