LSC15's 95 Tacoma 4x4

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Old 12-29-2013, 06:11 AM   #1561
Ain't nobody got time for dat!
DEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDEEVON911 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dave
DEEVON911's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Li0nel1234 View Post
They sell it at Lowes. I used some other stuff similar to it on a project for my Camaro and it's the same but much less expensive.
Nice. Thanks!
Old 01-18-2014, 09:58 AM   #1563
fyremanpat is on a distinguished road

Firefighter: CFD
Name: Pat
fyremanpat's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by StAndrew View Post
Cheap Sound Deadening:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaE7RfkN1Eo

Did this on a friends Mustang. Gonna do on my truck soon...
"Peel n seal" Ive used this stuff a dozen times on several vehicles. It works great and at a fraction of the cost of other sound deadening materials. It IS thinner but works well...you can always double up if you want. It sticks well through summer heat too. They sell it in wide rolls like the video and in thinner rolls.
Old 01-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #1565
81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold81shark is a splendid one to behold
81shark's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
Ever had to remove the spare tire?

Have you noticed that even if you practiced doing it, it's PITA to engage the rod on the elevator?

Grab a PVC 1 1/2" sanitary pipe and cut a 14" section, drill a hole about 1" from the end and install it with a zip tie as seen in the pictures, works like a charm and total cost was $2.35 for the whole 10ft pipe.

Why didn't Toyota did that in the fist place?

nice idea. gonna take a look at this. i hate when it slips out
Old 01-25-2014, 03:15 PM   #1566
setty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant future
Name: Justin
setty7's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Several ways to do this, but this one was the easiest for me, and I haven't had them come on 4-hours after turning the ignition off like other methods cause. Apparently at least one other method ties into some ignition or emissions circuit that turns on 4 hours after the truck is turned off to deal with emissions so the fogs come on for a few minutes. I parked in front of my living room window for a year after doing this and never saw them come on once so.....

Tools/items needed:
  • wire stripper
  • 1 quick splice
  • 1 female blade connector
  • 6" of wire
  • drill/bit same diameter as wire
  • shrink tube/electrical tape to reinforce crimp connection (optional)
  1. Locate the green wire on the plug in the pic
  2. splice into it
  3. run the wire to the fog light relay through a hole to keep it low and not hit the cover
  4. crimp on the female blade connector onto the wire
  5. pull the fog relay and bend the terminal in the pic to the side
  6. put the female blade connector onto the bent terminal on the fog relay
  7. replace fog relay

NOTE: The 2012 relay is located in a different position

This is how the relay tab is bent:

Edit:
Yes, this will allow you to turn the fog lights on or off whenever you want using the fog light switch as long as the key is turned to ACC or ON. Doesn't matter if headlights are on, off, low beam or high beam.

To help reduce confusion, this is what a quick splice looks like:
Little help/pictures. What is the quick splice and the drill bit used for? Going to do this tmw
Old 01-25-2014, 03:40 PM   #1567
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by setty7 View Post
Little help/pictures. What is the quick splice and the drill bit used for? Going to do this tmw
Drill bit just puts the hole in the partition of the fuse box so you can push the wire through.

Quick splice splices the new wire to the green wire.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:17 PM   #1568
setty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant futuresetty7 has a brilliant future
setty7's Tacoma Gallery
I am doing it now. Didn't work. Followed instructions. Now fogs don't turn on period
Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #1569
replica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shedreplica9000 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
replica9000's Tacoma Gallery
Thought Toyota had changed something in 2011 maybe
Old 01-25-2014, 04:22 PM   #1570
setty7's Tacoma Gallery
Got it to work. Secured connection. Very pleased. Easy mod! Thanks Jon!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:33 PM   #1571
Devout Atheist
piercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shedpiercedtiger is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jon
piercedtiger's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via AIM to piercedtiger
Quote:
Originally Posted by setty7 View Post
Got it to work. Secured connection. Very pleased. Easy mod! Thanks Jon!
Old 01-25-2014, 04:39 PM   #1572
paidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the roughpaidfor is a jewel in the rough
Army: Airborne
paidfor's Tacoma Gallery
awesome
Old 02-06-2014, 06:30 PM   #1573
4cyl is on a distinguished road
4cyl's Tacoma Gallery
I need some help. I have an 08 Tacoma 4wd 4cyl manual transmission. I want to install a torsen locker. But I don't know the ring gear size on my truck.
Old 02-07-2014, 06:38 AM   #1574
crusader1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: F8E "Crusader" Fighter Pilot
Name: Al
crusader1's Tacoma Gallery
Honeycomb Grill Mod for 2nd-Gen PreRunner

I have a 2006 PreRunner TRD Sport, and want the black Honeycomb Grille I've seen around. It's on TRD now for the Matrix...that's the look I want. Black SS construction...awesome! Gary (Toyotapartsbarn.com) says it was done on this site some time ago, but he doesn't recall any particulars.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's help
Old 02-07-2014, 06:50 AM   #1575
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1 View Post
I have a 2006 PreRunner TRD Sport, and want the black Honeycomb Grille I've seen around. It's on TRD now for the Matrix...that's the look I want. Black SS construction...awesome! Gary (Toyotapartsbarn.com) says it was done on this site some time ago, but he doesn't recall any particulars.

Would greatly appreciate anyone's help
there was a honeycomb grille on the 10/11s. is that what you're talking about?

Old 02-08-2014, 05:13 AM   #1576
crusader1 is on a distinguished road

Navy: F8E "Crusader" Fighter Pilot
Name: Al
crusader1's Tacoma Gallery
Honeycomb Grill for '06 PreRunner

That's a beautiful honeycomb, but the chrome bar and emblem are not desired...all honeycomb looks better, and that's what I think is lurking somewhere. Thanks for your info. The new Matrix one is just honeycomb, but it won't stretch to fit our openings I wonder if that part is removable and the grill is continuous underneath?

Thought change: Shows how quickly one can modify their tastes, or maybe it's a comment on my old age! I've purchased the 5-pc polished billet and a neat, black metal TRD badge for the main grille. Working concurrently on replacement of cat-back (Aero SS 2525 w/tip), Rhino coating on front belly pan and entire trailer hitch ass'y, which both had a tad of rust. The pseudo-powdercoater sandblasted both units to a point they couldn't be painted with any sort of smooth surface, so moved to Rhino for redemption. Then there's the door threshold adhesive strips to install, and the cabin filter to be cut from the HD filter material, a la excellent TW directions.

Can anyone hook me to the "rattling sounds" on a cold start in low temps...disappear after warmup, and almost sound like blower noise, but that isn't "on." I've seen the thread, but now can't find it.
Old 02-08-2014, 12:41 PM   #1577
Sometimes I drink water...
jhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shedjhodge83 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Air Force: TSgt/E6, 3D172, Cyber Transport, NC Air Guard and prior AD
Name: Jamie
jhodge83's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusader1 View Post
That's a beautiful honeycomb, but the chrome bar and emblem are not desired...all honeycomb looks better, and that's what I think is lurking somewhere. Thanks for your info. The new Matrix one is just honeycomb, but it won't stretch to fit our openings I wonder if that part is removable and the grill is continuous underneath?
You v an always get the honeycomb mesh you like and mod your current. There are sites out there for the mesh.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM   #1578
tacoleap88 is on a distinguished road

tacoleap88's Tacoma Gallery
DIY OEM intermittent wiper stalk install

Just did this mod easy and quick! My trouble spot was getting the bottom plastic bit off but other than that pretty good.

*Used part # 84652-02710 and did it on a '14 access.

Old one is now for sale
Old 03-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #1579
jro1 is on a distinguished road

Name: jesse
jro1's Tacoma Gallery
I did the rear diff breather mod, is there a mod for the front?
Old 03-02-2014, 03:48 PM   #1580
Breaker of Wheeling Rules #1 and #2
Mach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMach375 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby
Mach375's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by jro1 View Post
I did the rear diff breather mod, is there a mod for the front?
Front comes with one from the factory. Check the engine side of the driver side wheel well- there are two breather ends on rubber hoses: one is the front diff, the other is the trans.

Products Discussed in this Thread