Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Cheap/free mods

Referenced Products Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #1681
Rich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shedRich91710 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Rich
Rich91710's Tacoma Gallery
Ya... a 25w lamp on 12v will be pulling around 2a, so the resistance of the lamp will be around 6 ohms, which is what the flasher module is going to be looking for.

1 ohm is way too low for a standard load resistor. The mod to the flasher relay is to run two 0.22ohm in parallel in place of the shunt. That is a much better option than load resistors.
Old 06-30-2014, 03:39 PM   #1682
daxdaman is on a distinguished road
Marines: cannot say
daxdaman's Tacoma Gallery
so glad i came accoss this
Old 07-08-2014, 02:29 AM   #1684
SupraMan is on a distinguished road
Name: Victor
SupraMan's Tacoma Gallery
Send a message via ICQ to SupraMan
Locker Anytime Mod

Is there locker anytime mod writeup for 2012? I wanted to do it with DPDT relay, but wire colors are different on my 2012.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 AM   #1685
Interweb wheeler
NC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shedNC10TRDSPORT is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Nick
NC10TRDSPORT's Tacoma Gallery
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2nd...-diy-mods.html
Old 07-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #1686
Oregon State Edition
JRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Josh
JRGMann's Tacoma Gallery
So I did the cheap version of dtrl lighting by splicing into the little ones like piercedtiger showed... My lights are only half lit if that makes sense. They're not full brightness like when they blink. Is this supposed to happen or should they be as bright as running lights as they are when blinking?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:24 PM   #1687
DR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shedDR007 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dylan
DR007's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGMann View Post
So I did the cheap version of dtrl lighting by splicing into the little ones like piercedtiger showed... My lights are only half lit if that makes sense. They're not full brightness like when they blink. Is this supposed to happen or should they be as bright as running lights as they are when blinking?

They're suppose to be like that. I did the same mod also a year ago and they utilize the lower portion of the bulb rather than the high. I couldn't figure out a way to utilize the high portion without having the inside recognize that the blinkers were on.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:58 PM   #1688
Oregon State Edition
JRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shedJRGMann is one of the sharper tools in the shed

JRGMann's Tacoma Gallery
Okay. I just wanted to make sure mine were working correctly. Great to know and I appreciate it
Old 07-11-2014, 08:04 PM   #1689
Oregon State Edition

JRGMann's Tacoma Gallery
Alright I tried the fog light anytime mod... and it isn't working. I followed the instructions to the letter and my fog lights won't turn on at all unless the tab is bent down properly. What is going wrong?
Old 07-12-2014, 03:56 AM   #1690
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRGMann View Post
Alright I tried the fog light anytime mod... and it isn't working. I followed the instructions to the letter and my fog lights won't turn on at all unless the tab is bent down properly. What is going wrong?
Show a pic of what you did. Should be pretty simple to help you out. Does it look like this?
Old 07-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #1691
Oregon State Edition

JRGMann's Tacoma Gallery
I did it just like piercedtiger said. Fixed my problem.. The wire I was using was too thick of a rubber coating and my splice wasn't piercing it. Used a different wire and now it all works perfect.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:05 AM   #1692
Dental Floss Tycoon
Bagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shedBagman is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Bagman's Tacoma Gallery
OK cool. Glad you got it sorted out.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:19 AM   #1693
PhD, DVM, MPH, MS, MMA, Esq, XYZ, 123, blahblah
DrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shedDrFunker is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Dr. (I just play one on TV)
DrFunker's Tacoma Gallery
Fogs Anytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
Several ways to do this, but this one was the easiest for me, and I haven't had them come on 4-hours after turning the ignition off like other methods cause. Apparently at least one other method ties into some ignition or emissions circuit that turns on 4 hours after the truck is turned off to deal with emissions so the fogs come on for a few minutes. I parked in front of my living room window for a year after doing this and never saw them come on once so.....
That was simple. Thanks for the great write up.
This was my first attempt with anything electrical in the truck. Glad I did this one first.
Just to add my 2/100:
- Used a 14 ga. wire from an autoparts shop.
- 1/8" drill bit worked perfectly to put the hole in that "wall".

On to the next mod.
Old 08-07-2014, 07:51 PM   #1694
WillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shedWillRunner05 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

WillRunner05's Tacoma Gallery
Great stuff!!!
Old 08-09-2014, 06:26 PM   #1695
MCMLXXVI is on a distinguished road
Air Force: Air Traffic Controller
Name: Scott
MCMLXXVI's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by piercedtiger View Post
This was my take on it..... I heated up the lock housing on the stove, pushed it through with pliers. Kind of melted it in. Worked great, and quick. The rest was pretty much the same as the others. I didn't use a dremel or cut off the tab.
Attached Thumbnails
Cheap/free mods-imag0162.jpg   Cheap/free mods-imag0163.jpg   Cheap/free mods-imag0164.jpg   Cheap/free mods-imag0165.jpg  
Old 08-25-2014, 04:15 PM   #1696
swamp rat is on a distinguished road
swamp rat's Tacoma Gallery
simple yet cool, the idea really keeps the tips from getting broken. I use an even less "high tech" device I just use the foam pipe insulation with the slit down the side,done it for years no broken poles yet.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #1697
(.)(.)
outdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to beholdoutdoorgb is a splendid one to behold

outdoorgb's Tacoma Gallery
Wheel step for reaching top of canopy

Thule sells one...Thule is Swedish for "expensive"...I know, I have a Thule rack system.

I put my kayaks on top of my rig and can use an extra step.

Note: I have 17" wheels...adjust as necessary.

Ingredients:
26" of 2x4
just shy of 8' good rope. should not have much stretch.

Drill two holes approximatly 3" in from each end, thread rope and tie a knot.

Put over wheel and feel tall...

Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #1698
Mandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shedMandy3206 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Mandy3206's Tacoma Gallery
Nice Idea, I just step on top of the tire, but for those that can't reach so high due to disability or age, that is a great cheap idea that works just right !!
Old 08-26-2014, 09:15 AM   #1699
dirty Nissan driver
gravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shedgravedgr is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Doug
gravedgr's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy3206 View Post
Nice Idea, I just step on top of the tire, but for those that can't reach so high due to disability or age, that is a great cheap idea that works just right !!
Same - I climb all over my tires, bed, tailgate and bumper setting up our RTT.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:33 AM   #1700
DocD will become famous soon enough

DocD's Tacoma Gallery
Question?? Do I need to disconnect the battery to install intermitted wipers? Thanks

Products Discussed in this Thread