Mike "Wuzzy121". Rest in peace, brother

Go Back   Tacoma World Forums > Tacoma Garage > Technical Chat

Notices

Bearing F*** Job

Old 08-19-2009, 08:25 AM   #21
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine.
chris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shedchris4x4 is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: FlimFlubberJAM
chris4x4's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
nooo come take mine apart and please do the axles while your there. just havnt gotten around to it yet.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:13 AM   #22
Rocking your mom's world Since 1997
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
x2.. I know a guy who drove without his.
Now you can both tell your buddies about this other dude you know who ran without his and the hub separated whilst he was driving down the road minding his own business.
Old 08-19-2009, 11:18 AM   #23
drew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the sheddrew02a is one of the sharper tools in the shed

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverback07 View Post
Well his was a 1st gen.. but you would assume that it would have happened to him. He's now SAS'd up front so its not gonna happen any time soon.
Maybe I should just go ahead and SAS so I don't have to worry about it again?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:33 PM   #24

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Okay, I finally went and jacked up the truck so I could take the wheels off and see what was going on in there. I noticed these on the ground and wondered for a second what they were

Then I looked behind the hub

The only thing holding the hub on was the brake disc catching on the caliper !

Here are some tire shavings from rubbing the spindle

And the tire Damage

Thank goodness for Discount Tire's road hazzard tire replacement, huh?
Old 08-22-2009, 01:47 PM   #25
FL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shedFL Forester is one of the sharper tools in the shed

Name: Jason
FL Forester's Tacoma Gallery
Note to self - Do not drive truck without front axles.
Old 08-22-2009, 02:07 PM   #26
snoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shedsnoope is one of the sharper tools in the shed

snoope's Tacoma Gallery
Drew02a,

Sorry you had to "Teach" us this lesson BUT we all should see from your photos( great pix) that you should NOT do this.....
That being said,you are very lucky...go play a "lotto" number...the truck and yourself made it home....

Snoope
Old 08-24-2009, 09:41 AM   #28
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Damn. That wheel bearing doesn't look very pretty..

If you haven't had the new bearings installed yet, and need them pressed in let me know. I am taking a trip to the mechanics either tomorrow or Wednesday and can have them pressed in for free. If I remember correctly, those wheel bearing are about 100 bucks a piece at the dealer. You can take the bearing number and cross reference it across nearly all bearing manufactures. I would highly recommend a Timken replacement if not going with the factory bearings.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:45 AM   #29

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Damn. That wheel bearing doesn't look very pretty..

If you haven't had the new bearings installed yet, and need them pressed in let me know. I am taking a trip to the mechanics either tomorrow or Wednesday and can have them pressed in for free. If I remember correctly, those wheel bearing are about 100 bucks a piece at the dealer. You can take the bearing number and cross reference it across nearly all bearing manufactures. I would highly recommend a Timken replacement if not going with the factory bearings.
It looks like the bearings I got are already pre-assembled on a hub so I might be able to dodge the whole bearing press thing all together. I'll be taking the whole thing apart this evening and making sure, though. If it requires the use of a press I'll let you know.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:48 AM   #30
SC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shedSC4333 is one of the sharper tools in the shed
Name: Grant
SC4333's Tacoma Gallery
Hell, you cant beat that. If for whatever reason you do need a press, just let me know.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #31

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC4333 View Post
Hell, you cant beat that. If for whatever reason you do need a press, just let me know.
Wildo
Old 09-19-2009, 05:24 PM   #32

drew02a's Tacoma Gallery
Well it's been almost exactly one month since the inceident and $250 later the truck is finally drivable again. I replaced the bearings and seals.

It turns out that the heat generated from the friction melted my ABS sensonrs and warped my rotors a bit. I'll need to replace those soon, but at least I'm able to drive the truck again now.

Took it for a test drive and almost got stuck in the mud, even with both lockers engaged. Time for some Mud Terrains.